Just in and living in Vald'Or, Quebec !

actarus

May 31, 2005
Just found out this forum a couple days ago and it seem pretty helpful from what I've read so far !

I'm form Vald'Or, Quebec, Canada, 30 years old and about to buy my first bike ever !! I'm getting a 1980 KDX 175 and from the shape of it I think 350$ is a nice deal :cool:

The motor seems to be running great but the bike stall after starting to move ... so I'll first get the bike and then figure out what could be wrong with it.

I plan to use it in wood trails, a bit of pit riding and maybe some track when I get used to the feel of it ;)

Don't worry ... I'll keep reading some more on the forum before asking any questions :nener: :nod: and surely enough, I will find what I'm looking for !

Any input on that bike is appreciated ! :)

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Parts are difficult to get for that model, since it was only a 175 in 1979 and 1980, then became the KDX 200 for 1981. If it's a project bike that you're willing to spend some time and money on, then have fun. If not, a good resource for used bikes in Quebec is www.lespac.com
There are always 5,000 plus bikes on there. Really, though, you're looking at $2,500 to get a decent older bike for the trails, more like $3,500 if you plan to take it on the track. If you can breathe life into the 175, go for it, but keep it on the trails.

Couple of KDX 175 references:
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/rick/dntask1298.html
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/rick/dntask0698.html

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

I see where you have gone to your User CP and updated information relating to your location. Grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc. We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

Check out the Every Kdx Rider Should Read This! thread in Canadian Daves JustKDX forum. It will lead you to piles of information on the KDX. Our own FredT, dirtbiker extrodinair has authored a compendium of information relating to the venerable KDX. Be sure and check it out!

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

actarus

May 31, 2005
Thanks for the welcome guys !

Went to get the bike yesterday !!! Wouhou !

Detonator, thankxs for the links ... never thought of lespacs and the other two references seem to be quite informative. Of course it's a project bike since it's my first and all. And, if I'm not mistaken, there were 81 and 82 KDX 175 too ! ;)

So as I was saying, I got my bike yesterday, tried to kickstart it ... the kick start lever broke... :yikes: so I just cleaned it up a bit and my next step is to take off the carb to clean it and have the kick start lever repaired.

I'm guessing in a couple of weeks (before the end of summer :bang: :bang: ) I'll be able to go ride with some budies !!!

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Ahh, you're right. That's the first time I've been wrong about anything in my life. It's quite humbling.

There were two versions of the KDX 175 produced, the A1 and the A2, but they had a 4 year production span. Interesting, too, that you can put the top end from an air cooled 200 on your engine, if ever you want to.

BTW, my wife's family is from Val d'Or, and I used to teach high school in Rouyn-Noranda. In fact, my mother in law is heading there today to take my wife's grandmother home. Small world.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom