Jun 12, 2005
They have these MSR steel handle bars at my local shop for $25. Mine are bent right now and im looking to replace mine. I dont need really good bars i just do recreational riding, trails, that kinda stuff. If i fall will these bars bend easily? But if you suggest something different what would it be? I dont want to spend more then $75.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If i fall will these bars bend easily? But if you suggest something different what would it be? I dont want to spend more then $75.
Steel bars will bend if you breath on them too hard.
Look at ProTaper SE for a good, strong and economical bar.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You have two options go with the cheapest bars you can find and replace them every crash or pony up some dough for a decent set and hope for the best. Personally we have bent some Renthal 7/8's bars on the most innocent of crashes, including me knocking the bike over at the car wash :bang: but we have had very good luck on Renthal Fat bars. The next set we get will be Pro Taper very simply to support Tucker Rocky and their support of Dirtweek. If you don't crash much I'd go with the cheapies for now. One set of bars I would avoid at all costs are the Tag oversize bars, I have personally seen 5 sets snap in the area of the mounts which is way more than a coincidence as far as I'm concerned.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
I buy the cheap steel bars for $19.95. I've bent expensive alluminum ones too, so figure bars are all ultimately throw away items anyway.

kozzer1

Nov 23, 2005
If you want to spend less than $ 75 go with the Renthal or Pro Taper 7/8". I have had good luck with both. Any bar will bend if you are involved in the right scenario, but if you are not that hard on bars one of these will last you a long time (I've had the same set of Renthals on my CR for more than 3 years). If you get or have any type of publication like Dirt Rider magazine, etc. they have ads for the PT at $58.95 and the Renthal for $59.95 (plus shipping of course).

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Can't get Renthal 7/8's for less than $75 in Canada, more like $100+. Haven't seen the retail pricing on the Pro Taper SE's to be sure but it was somewhere around $90.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Chili said:
Can't get Renthal 7/8's for less than $75 in Canada, more like $100+. Haven't seen the retail pricing on the Pro Taper SE's to be sure but it was somewhere around $90.

Haven't checked the conversion lately, but $75cdn used to be pretty cheap.

Top Bottom