Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
"The older I am, the faster I was"
Not that I was ever that fast but I have ridden better. Just finished up my 2nd month of MX racing, this was # 6 or 7 for me. Oh I had a great time and I finished the race without a single spill, which is better than the last couple of races, yet I came in dead last on both motos. I would say it's the worst I've ever done but it was the least amount of riders I've ever competed against and they certainly seemed a lot faster than me. I raced in the over 25 novice class and there were only 6 of us on the gate. I had been nursing a hurt shoulder from my last race on this track 2 weeks ago but I felt pretty good, nothing was hurting. Maybe it was my sub conscience keeping me from being faster but I felt like I was doing all I could to stay with the pack. My 10 yr. old daughter summed it up the best I reckon, she said "Dad, I love you, you're the greatest and I'm proud of you but you suck" She said I wasn't aggressive enough. Maybe not but I don't think I'll try to explain to her my response in the Am I too old thread.:debil:

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Win, lose or draw who cares? Jeff I have news for ya, you'll never be RC. If you go out have fun and get your but to work on monday your a winner in my book. You get bonus points for ridding a 125 in the 25+:)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks super rat, I always make it back to work.. SO FAR

I haven't quite figured out the best class for me to race in. I have done the over 40 and I'm the only one on a 125 but I do pretty good considering it's tough to hang with those 426's. The over 25 & 28 novice have big bikes too and except for this weekend I've been very competitive. The 125 beginner I do well in but I don't want to get taken out by some kid trying to be the next "RC," I have a hard enough time holding my line sometime without worrying about those that absolutly can't hold a line and don't look more than 5' in front of where they are.
For those that may see me on the track I'll let you know in no uncertain terms, I do this for fun!:)

B

biglou

Jeff-You da Man!

I could copy-paste your story and make it mine! I do this just for fun and just for me. Nothing or no one else. I race 250 Beginner and am a back-of-the-pack'er. But you know what? I have an absolute blast everytime! Plus, most "normal" people just think you're crazy. I like having that over them!:D

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Many of our top A riders also race the +30 class. The +30 class is one of the fastest classes on our track.
Although I too ride a 125sx, I find that the +40 class is just right.:D

Cudos on your spilless ride, Jeff!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I ran into a couple of buddies that were at the track I was racing in my earlier post. I was telling them about what my daughter had said and they both busted up. After they got done laughing they both said that I was flying that day. I made a joke about it and they said "seriously you were flying, those guys were fast."
I kind of feel better about thinking it was the worst I had ever done since I started racing. All I know is I was going as fast as I could and still maintain control. When my buddies that have much more experience than me on the track say what they did I don't feel quite so inadequate.:D
I hope they aren't just "pulling my lariat":) (Clevon Little)

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
You are very lucky to be able to keep riding and with so many old friends yet. I envy you. God Bless Texas! Keep riding and writing - you have to help get me through this winter :)

Top Bottom