Newbie to this forum needs help selecting bike!

gK

May 19, 2002
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Lurked around for a while, and decided that this is the place for me. :D

Got a question for ya!

I'm 60 years old and haven't had a bike for over 10 years. Been looking and shopping the dealers in my area and trying to find somethin that "FITS".

I'm looking for a dual purpose bike that will be used 90% street (local riding, little trafic) and 10% trails, when one presents itself.
I'm 5'6" tall with a 28" inseam. Also, Too many rides and falls in the 1960s and 70s (enduros) have left my knees and hips in poor condition. So a fairly low seat height, is a must. Maybe something in the 30 to 32" neighborhood.

I would like a top speed in the 55+ range in case I venture onto a main road. Might trailer the bike to N. Georgia Mts. , for some of those trails, if I can find them. So, some thumping power would be nice. Seems a 200-250 might meet my needs, but don't really know.

The KLR250, XT225, and DR 200SE, all fit. Honda doesn't seem to make a street legal DP bike. Need info from you concerning power, speed, reliability, other options, etc.

Thanks, ...gK

Last edited:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
If you're going the dual purpose route, I'd suggest you take a look at the DRZ 400 street legal model. It's supposed to be a much better dirt bike than any other competitors, but still a decent on-road bike :)

gK

May 19, 2002
It is a good looking bike and the weight is something I could deal with. Certainly it would have more power than any of those I mentioned.

The only problem is the seat height. With my 28" inseam, the 36.8" seat on the 400 would be difficult to throw a leg over and really hard to reach the ground, once seated.

Thanks ...gK

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
Check out the DR650, the new ones are more street oriented. Veery low seat, close to your inseam. Good power, too! ;)
But the 400 is nice. Shave the seat down, get a Kouba lowering link and softer susp. settings, you're down to about 33-34 inches on the seat. Good luck, cool to see people getting back into the sport! :cool:

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
gk,
I believe that Kawasaki makes a DP bike called the Shirpa (sp) they come in a 250cc size and look to be about the model/size that your looking for. From my point of view (take it with a grain of salt) they looke to be about 89.9% street and 10.1% dirt. May be what your looking for. Good luck! P.S. My Dad is 63 and still rides!!

cmott

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2001
I hava a Yamaha XT350 that is great for on and off road. I can climb some pretty steep stuff and still do 75 on the highway. the seat hight is 33". They stopped making them a few years ago but you can find some good deals on used ones.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
my dad has a 86(?) xt or tt 350 (they painted it with spraypaint, cant tell which) anyway, it has NO problems in the power department, and its got a head/tail light. i am 5'7 and seat it fine. we got an awesome deal at $200 and it RAN!!! all it needed was a carb cleaning and new rubbers, and it runs great now!

well, enough yelling. :)

all im trying to say is it is a great trail bike, we dont have any inkling to put it on the road, but it is quieter than my tt-r and has lights, so it is most likely road legal.

Top Bottom