SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
The stators were known to poop the bed on these bikes, although I would put a good jap kill switch on it first.
The magura kill button is just that, only full time.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Yeah... stator is good place to start. Also run over the wiring loom cause if its zip tied in places this can wear through rubber coating and I recently discovered some exposed wires and uncovered connections on my 300 which was giving me some bad electrical problems.

Dbeast

Aug 24, 2002
I did a search and found the specs below which are for a 90, whether correct or not they gave me the basis on what to test. If someone has the 93 specs I would be greatfull.

Ignition coil:
Red (+) to Black (-): spec = 47 k-ohm, actual = Open-ohm
Red (+) to Green (-): spec = 47 k-ohm, actual = Open-ohm
Red (+) to Orange (-): spec = 0 ohm, actual = 0.4 ohm
Black (+) to Ignition Cable (-): spec = 2.0 ±.3 k-ohm, actual = 8.3 k-ohm

Stator:
Black (+) to Red (-): spec = 1.7 k-ohm, actual = 1.407 k-ohm
Red (+) to Black (-): spec = 1.7 k-ohm, actual = .989 k-ohm
Black (+) to Green (-): spec = 165 ±20 ohm, actual = 120.7 ohm
Green (+) to Black (-): spec = 165 ±20 ohm, actual = 120.8 ohm
Red (+) to Green(-): spec = 1.85 k-ohm, actual = 1.528 k-ohm
Green (+) to Red(-): spec = 1.85 k-ohm, actual = 1.132 k-ohm
Yellow (+) to Yellow(-): spec = .2-ohm, actual = Not tested

I think I have a bad coil, would that go from just sitting in a shed for 2 years? Where should I buy one and what should I replace it with?

If I have to start replacing parts, I hear alot of complaints about the CDI. Do I have that system? If so I heard replace with Moto(something), how do I do that? Any websites or other info you can point me to would be apppreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

bikeguy

Sep 3, 2002
Start with the local dealer. Get his price on the coil and the CDI. The name you are looking for is MOTOPLAT. However, if memory my memory is correct, they went out of business in the late 90's. There is a direct replacement from another company, but I cna't remember the name right now. Start with the local dealer, then a large national dealer like H&H, then branch out to used parts and ebay if the price is too steep.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
With the age of the bike you could pick up cheap second hand bits through a bike wreckers. Just a thought if new is too far above budget.

hotrodvw

Dec 15, 2002
I have a '93 250sx.......I lost spark due to a lean condition at full throttle, hence frying the ignition (no spark). I replaced the ignition with a PVL ignition.....supposed to be an upgrade to boot! PVL is the onw you're looking for.

ACGUY

Feb 6, 2001
Dude,
Are you 100% sure the plug is good? Try looking for spark with the plug held about 1/8 inch away from engine. If it sparks then, but not with plug touching motor, then the plug is bad. Hold it by the rubber when you do this or else you will end up with your hair standing up. ZWAP!

Top Bottom