2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Three guys traveling across country to DW02 have to stop at a motel and spend the night. The clerk charges them $30 for a room so they each give him $10. After they go to their room, the clerk decides he has overcharged them by $5. The clerk gives the $5 to the bellboy and tells him to give it back to the 3 guests. The bellboy can't figure out how to divide $5 three ways so he keeps $2 and gives the men back $1 each, so each man only gave $9 for the room. So if 3 x $9 = $27, the bellboy kept $2, $27+$2 = $29, where did the other $1 go? :eek:

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I'd be more concerned about three guys in a $30 motel. Who got the single bed??? :scream:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
for every debit ...... there must be a credit !!! :eek: ;)

slo'mo ... didn't you read my thread about Californian fruits :p :)

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
This is obviously a trick question. They are on their way to DW02 - they would NOT STOP! :moon:

B

biglou

An oldie but a goodie. Think algebraically (sp?) If you do something to one side of the eqation, you have to do it to the other side if you want to keep the "=" sign valid. Once the clerk gave the bellboy $5 back, the men have no longer paid $30 for the room, they have paid $25 for the room, divided by 3 gives them $8.33 paid each. Divide that $5 by 3 and you get $1.66, added to the $8.33 = $10. (OK, there is that one penny that can't be divided, just imagine a .3333 or a .6666 at the end of the above figures...)

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Nah Big Lou, in that case, the bell boy pockets 66.66 cents from each of them, returns $1 to each, and they end up paying $9.33 each !. Where dat 33c each go ;) :p

accounting has the answer
Credit payments of $10 each, Debit the hotel $30
Hotel returns $5, credit hotel, debit the return fund
The return fund loses $2, debit return fund, credit shrinkage
Each guy gets $1, debit each one, credit the return fund !!! :)

or something like that ......

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
So explain why Twinspar, Thump and Taraker are in ONE room! Bunch of weirdos!:scream:

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by CanadianRidr
Especially a 35 dollar room :think:
$35? :think: Ok, where the other $6 go? :silly:
Geez, I believe some of you guys must work for Arthur Anderson. :confused:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
What? It says 29, sheesh ;) I don't even know what you are talking about. LOL, Me and Anderson have to file some more reports but ill be back.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Reminds me of the time these three Texans went Elk hunting in the Gila National Forest. But this is the wrong forum to tell the story.

Oh wait, back to the problem, I see a simple way to look at it. The three guys ended up paying $27, the hotel got $25, and the bell hop got $2.

$27-$25=$2

So the answer to the original question, "where did the other $1 go," is the Hotel got it.

Last edited:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
This is very easy to figure out, they used Microsoft Excel spread sheet, it always drops a buck :aj:

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
:worship: Congrats VD! This is a misdirection question. The $2 the bellboy kept is already included in the $27 so you can't add it again.
Lou you had ME confused!LOL :)

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by joe_427
BigLou's answer is correct also... The math in the original problem is wrong. It's not 3 x 9 = 27; it's 3 x 9.33 = 28
NO, it's 3x9=27 :| They paid $9 each not $9.33, and I'm sure Lou was correct but he still had me confused.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I look at it as each guy paid $9 for the hotel, which equals $27. But the bellboy stole $2 from their payment, leaving the hotel with $25.

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by CanadianRidr
Proabably has one bed and big heart shaped tub. ROFL!!! ;)

:) Thanks for the laugh to get me out of the math headache!!

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I don't know guys, if I pay $10, and the bell hop brings me $1, I paid $9 .... no !!!?, not $9.33 :scream: :ugg:

The lost 33c each goes to the hotel, yes, as the hotel received $25, $8.33 each. :cool:

anyone have the algebraic equation for this .... :confused:

Last edited:

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
You finally talked yourself into the right answer, Joe. :thumb: The question was not how much the room was per person, it was where is the missing dollar. The missing dollar is in the difference between the $3.00 that SHOULD have been added back and the $2.00 that was ACTUALLY added back to get to the initial $30. Each man paid out $9. There were 3 men. 3X9=27(room+bellboy)+3(change)=$30.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
first off, only 3 guys in a hotel room, what's that all about. geeze. more like" first platoon shares a room and every one pitches in what they stole off the tip jar at the last bar." then the bell boy shows up to said room and to look for a tip and leaves with his heini shaved and taped together. then, it's not about how much each one spent, it's about weather the platoon seargent woke up in bed with his squad leaders and who had pants on. that's all that matters. i CAN'T tell you how comforting it is to wake up and realize you still have your pants on. btw, to be a good all round night, ya gotta show up at the hotel whirpool in your whitey tighties, and those that go "commando" have to borow their buddies whitey tighties, and it's all good, ya just turn'em inside out and hope that was the first flip on those bvds. :thumb:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
hey dennis, cool .you're on the boards now that your hbo stuff got canceld. man, i liked you on mon night football too. :confused:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom