3832always

Mar 14, 2009
I have a 2005 Rm-z 250 and whilst out riding it I noticed an oil leak coming from the top of the gear box, as it was dirty and I could not see any places it was coming from my day out riding came to an end :(
anyway after cleaning it and looking i noticed there was a line of weld along the top and it appears to be leaking from there.
This leak is really stressing me out because I fear my beloved bike is going to be expensive to fix I know nothing about the previous life but when i bought it everything seemed fine

so my question is how can I stop this leak?
can I simply put a spot of weld on the leaking area?
will I need to remove the old weld and re-weld the whole area?
or is welding a bad I idea and are there any other things I can do to stop this leak?

Thanks
~3832always

VA Mud Dauber

Mar 11, 2009
Personally, I think that you would be much better off grinding off the old weld completely and re-weld the crack.That doesn't mean that another spot weld won't fix it but chances are that you won't have weld that is as reliable as a whole new weld. Being that you don't know how clean they got the metal to start with before they welded it. I would also get a small cutting wheel like the ones used with a Dremel Tool and open up the crack a little to aid in weld penetration without creating excessive heat and possibly having problems with distortion. This will also give you a cleaner weld, making it much stronger. Generally speaking; a weld is stronger than the metal surrounding the weld if welded properly.

3832always

Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for the replys i have a picture of the weld but im not so sure its coming from the weld it looks like its bubbling out from the corner where the mud is.

im not sure how to post a picture because i cant post links and uploading to the website has a limmit of 170kb my image is 700kb and the smallest i could make it was 300kb after cropping

3832always

Mar 14, 2009
im going to take some better pictures tommorow since ive stripped the bike and i can get a better view

but just out of curiosity if i had a new crankcase set it would be a bug job to switch them but how difficult?

3832always

Mar 14, 2009
Sorry for the double post but its been a few days

i have stripped the bike and it seems that its is not worth the pain in welding it because its has already got a few welds from cracks in the past they are professional welds and had been tested for cracks after the weld.

I am not now looking to weld it but i am looking to buy a new crankcase i would prefer just the right hand side but since i hear they are machined in pairs and you can only buy a pair that is out of the question unless anyone can tell me different so could anyone direct me to a place where i can buy a set for cheap the cheapest ive found so far is $434

thanks

3832always

Mar 14, 2009
yeah i got a service manual but i looked on ebay and one side of the case was £295
i found a new set for £214 so far so i think ill go for that

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I for one would sure like to see this weld area that caused you such issues. I can not imagine someone doing this and selling you the bike with a clear conscious, but? The 4 strokes I have seen taken apart are really a LOT easier to split the cases than a 2 stroke. More parts, but the cases and crank come right apart.

3832always

Mar 14, 2009
ill send a picture to chilli later
and it fills me with confidence when you says its easier i have the manual aswell so all should go well

Top Bottom