dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
My 2000 RM250 has been acting up. Every time I start up the bike after it has been sitting for a while (about a week) it seems to rev really high with out me twisting the throttle. After about 5 seconds the RPM start to come down. The bike does not do this while I am riding. It only happens when the bike sits for a couple of days. Other than that the bike runs great.

Could draining the carb after every ride be causing this :whoa: ?

I am scared that this might caused the piston to seize :yikes: .

Help!!!!!!!!!!! :bang:

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
wait. so you shut off the fuel valve and run all the gas out if the carb after every ride/when it's going to sit?

your bike could be running off fumes when you first start it (running lean) which causes the bike to idle higher.

turn on the fuel valve, and let the bike sit for a couple min before you start it up so the gas can fill the float bowl.

then start it. :laugh:

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
That is exactly what I do. After every ride I drain the carb when the bike sits. When I take the bike out to go ride I turn the fuel on and then put on my gear. After I am all suited up that is when I turn the bike on. So I am sure the float is filled up with fuel.

I was always told that I should drain the carb to prevent it from gumming up. Is that not correct?

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
I wouldnt empty it every ride but some bikes rev up a little when its started for the first time in a few days. but how much does it rev up?

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
When I first start it revs like the throttle is open at about 3/4.

00KX250Byrd

Dec 15, 2007
I have the same problem with my 2000 KX250. I'll try turning the fuel on, and wait a while before I start. It only happens on cold starts. I don't think it has an air leak? Plug chops tell me it is a little rich. Anyone with any help would be appreciated.

Britton

Aug 25, 2008
dmdee99 said:
My 2000 RM250 has been acting up. Every time I start up the bike after it has been sitting for a while (about a week) it seems to rev really high with out me twisting the throttle. After about 5 seconds the RPM start to come down. The bike does not do this while I am riding. It only happens when the bike sits for a couple of days. Other than that the bike runs great.

Could draining the carb after every ride be causing this :whoa: ?

I am scared that this might caused the piston to seize :yikes: .

Help!!!!!!!!!!! :bang:

Mien does that my rm250 sounds loud really revved !!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
No big deal... you may be a little lean on the pilot if it's tuned for normal Calif temps and now you're riding when it's 20* cooler, but then again, needing the choke is normal. How does it run when the radiators are warm to the touch? Perhaps play it safe and jet it safe, go up 1-2 sizes on the pilot and main. Experiment, getting a 2-stroke jetted in is beneficial and critical.... normal stuff, but important.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
My bike runs great once it is warmed up. I just revs really high when the bike is cold. I have leaned the bike out already but it still is running a tad rich. But it is more snappier than before and the throttle response is much better. I just have the high rev problem when you start it when it is cold.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also thanks everyone for your suggestions so far.

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
all my 2-strokes have rev'd up alot my 03 cr85 was the worst it doesnt do anything or at least ive never had a problem with it but it does help to not turn on the gas unless its going to sit for like a month but i let a bike sit with the gas on for 1 year and finaly went to start it because i had a buyer coming by and leaving it on did nothing. i even did a carb kit and a rebuild before selling and there was nothing wrong.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I will work on the pilot tonight and see how that hels. I tried starting it yesterday after the bike was sitting for 6 days and it seems to start up a bit better. The bike did not rev high at all. The only think I did differently was I did not drain the carb after the ride on last Saturday.

If anyone has any possible solution please let me know.

Thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Clean the pilot circuit. That means actually poking something thinner through the hole, spray and repeat. Gum, tarnish can build up inside the jet and passage way to the carb throat. Half azz clean it, and you will do it again. The expensive carb cleaners by the gallon work well for stubborn build ups. Replace the float valve if you are fouling plugs, or puking gas.

Aug 25, 2008
dmdee99 said:
I will work on the pilot tonight and see how that hels. I tried starting it yesterday after the bike was sitting for 6 days and it seems to start up a bit better. The bike did not rev high at all. The only think I did differently was I did not drain the carb after the ride on last Saturday.

If anyone has any possible solution please let me know.

Thanks

Well i started my bike yesterday and thought iwas gonna rev rally high too :yikes: but i gave it like 8 turns on the trottle and it didnt rev really high

Top Bottom