Rotator cuff \ shoulder problems

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Seems as though I injured my shoulder playing racquetball, and have been living with the pain for around 4 months now. Finally got an MRI done, and the good news is that there isnt anything requiring surgery (no tear, just some tendonitis). That said, is there any good stretching, or moderate lifting, etc., exercises that I can use to help the healing process along. I was afraid to do much before for fear of having a tear. Any techniques?

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
check out familydoctor.com and look up for rotator cuff exercises. For exercise #1 shown you can also move your hand to the back. You can also do that exercise laying on your stomach with your hand up and it'll work some other area. I'm in about my 4th week of rehab from the same thing. I have 4 more visits over the next 4 weeks. Another one I've been doing is facing a wall, about 1 ft back, elbows in front, fingers pointing up, pinkie on the wall with pressure on your forearms and hand (to keep the bones tight fitting), then slide your hands up along the wall to as high as you can reach then lower til hands are about chest height. Don't do this in your kitchen with dirty hands. It'll leave a big mark and you'll probably get yelled at, or so I heard. You want to make sure you move your whole shoulder up and down( try to get your shoulders to touch your ears in the up positon). You can add weight or go weightless on any of the exercises depending on how far along you are.
I usually use a heat pad before and ice after exercises. I use a golf club to stretch out the shoulder. Just grab the club head with band arm and use the other on the grip to help raise it. At PT they have this hand bike you peddle. That would be sweet to have at the house. Just do a search on rotator cuff and you should be able to find lots of exercises. 4-8 weeks is what I was told it would take to get it going again. Good luck
Bob

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Depending on your age, it could take up to a year or more to be pain free. I injured mine on December 12th and it still hurts at night when I sleep. Funny thing: It feels best after riding for a couple of days. I finally agreed to a cortizone shot after 4 months. It helps to releive the inflamation and to allow the exersizes to do their work. I recommend the shot so you can get the muscles into shape without too much suffering.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
one important thing about the rotator cuff is that when pain starts, the muscles will shutdown and your exercise is over for that day... if you continue, you will be using the auxilary muscles and not helping your condition at all. thus, exercise MUST be pain free!

Top Bottom