mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
well, i bought a 1998 rm125 and its stiff as heck over rough bumps. I can get on my old 1988 cr125 and it feels like a cadillac, then get back on the newer rm and its just too stiff and wears my arms out REALLY QUICK going fast through the rough stuff, anyone help me out with some adjusting? also, the bike sits up highr than any 125 ive ever seen in my 30 years of riding.

KaBooM

Jan 12, 2004
Play with the compression clickers and remove some compression. If that still feels too stiff, call Jeremy up at MX-Tech for a possible re-valve or lighter spring. Jeremey will definately have the answers.

Rob

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
I dont know guys, ive adjusted the top clickers all the way to the softest setting and STILL get a lot of headshake..everyone says these are some of the best forks ever made, but they sure dont feel like it..my old cr125 that is 10 years OLDER than this rm125 rides better!! I also bled the air out..BTW, i weigh 195 pounds so im not real lite..would adjusting the BOTTOM clickers (rebound) help any?

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
When did you last have the forks serviced? I've pulled some of these forks apart and they look like they have never had the oil changed. There might be 25mm of sludge sitting in the bottom. The anodizing maybe worn off the inside of the tubes. The bushes might be ruined. I have seen all of the above in these forks. Get them checked out.

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
ok, i am going to pull the forks apart and check them out, if i remember right, i take the top big nut off the top of the forks, after that, what do i look for and how much oil goes back in each one? I cant take the ride they give anymore, very harsh.

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, i took the caps off the top of the forks and pulled the springs out, everything looked fine, the fluid is clean and the fluid level is 4" from the top of the fork. The forks feel "sticky" when pushing them up and down rather than smooth with no drag like they should be, not real bad but not right either..I have a 1991 parts bike with the inverted forks and they work good, anyway to use them on the 1998?

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
UPDATE: took it to the dealer so they could look at it, they said the forks need new sliders and oil seals, said the sliders are semi-pressed in..is this a job i can do myself? i am mechanically inclined, i do my own top ends and car work, just never had to mess with front forks till now, can i do this or do you need special stuff to get these sliders out?
thanks!

mopower440

Jan 27, 2006
can I do this myself?

I have a 1998 rm 125, forks ride like crap, took it to the dealer so they could look at it, they said the forks need new sliders and oil seals, said the sliders are semi-pressed in..is this a job i can do myself? i am mechanically inclined, i do my own top ends and car work, just never had to mess with front forks till now, can i do this or do you need special stuff to get these sliders out?
thanks!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I just rebuilt the forks on my 1986 Yamaha YZ-125. There was a nut that was a bit tricky to get off but otherwise everything was easy.

I don't know your bike but I doubt it would be any harder. Get a manual, for sure. Doing things in the right sequence is a lot easier!

Rod

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I just rebuilt the forks on my 1986 Yamaha YZ-125. There was a nut that was a bit tricky to get off but otherwise everything was easy.

I don't know your bike but I doubt it would be any harder. Get a manual, for sure. Doing things in the right sequence is a lot easier!

Rod

The forks on a 1998 RM 125 are substantially more complex than the simple damper rod forks on a 1986 YZ 125. They require a few special tools, and a manual, but are doable for someone of average mechanical ability given a good work area and time to do them slowly and methodically.

Top Bottom