kx85_2013

Sep 27, 2010
Hi. I am posting this so that I know how to store my dirtbike this winter because this is my first MX bike. So when I store it in the winter, do I have to drain any of the fluids or anything out? And is there anything else that needs to be done? Thanks.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I've never done anything special, however, I have typically rode mine well into January and then started up again in March.. So it didn't seem too much of an issue.

Plus I've always had my bikes in a heated garage. ;)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Well Bob.. my new place doesn't have a heated garage. But I do plan on changing that soon. And the old place, I only ever kept the garage above freezing.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Store for winter: check or just drain the anti freeze. Properly mixed and maintained should keep to around -35 f. or lower. Drain the gas, or mix in some seafoam stabilizer. That should be about it. And, it is still rideable!

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
I would recomend maiking up a special blend of premix usimg old style mineral oil at 20:1 and run the bike for about 5-10 mins. then drain the carb and tank. My experience with top of the line sinthetic @stroke oils is that they dont offer as much water/rust protection as mineral oil. Also make sure you turn the motor over to top dead centre before you leave the motor to sit. This closes the exhaust port and keeps moist air out.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
If you want to properly store the bike:

-wash, clean the bike.
-remove the airfilter, clean it and install it dry with a note taped to the grips "dry airfilter". If you reoil it, the oil will just run with gravity over time.
-do any manintence like greasing linkages, bearings, lube the chain, cables
-change the tranny oil
-drain the gas tank and the carb bowl
-remove the spark plug and spray some fogging spray down the hole and rotate the engine a few rotations. Install a new plug.

Store the bike on a stand and cover it.

spring time, check the air pressure in the tires, mix up new gas, oil the airfilter and ride.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom