WA-Rider

Apr 15, 2003
What's up ya'll,

I'm getting a new bike this year, been riding DH Mtn. Bike's the past few and I'm wondering where I can ride in the great state of Washington. I live in the south sound and I know of the big name places like Washugal and so forth but where can I ride locally. (Live in Puyallup) Also, where's some good websites to check out for washington rider posts, tracks, pictures, etc... I'm new to the area so I'm looking for anyone out there in Washington to help point me in the right direction!

Can you email me at Joshinu@comcast.net I don't get on here much, just stumbled across this site but I'm going to bookmark it for sure!

Thanks,
Josh

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
I also live in Puyallup, off of Canyon Rd. I usually go to Tahuya state forest. a little place up by Wilkeson, just found a place yesterday east of the dump off of Meridian, not much, but it's kind of cool if you just want to goof around for an hour or so afterwork. Going to Taneum in 2 weeks with some buddies, Naches is a pretty cool place to ride also. Give me an e-mail and we'll hook up. my e-mail address arimax21@netzero.net
Little Jeff

MX2_motorex

Jan 7, 2003
You could always come up to Spokane and ride. We have the seven Mile ORV, Airway Hights motocross track and bunch of places to ride up in New
Port. Also theres the Grey Hound track in north Idaho.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
MX2, do you only ride MX or do you trail ride too? (7 mile doesn't count as trail riding)

Did you race the spring series out at Airway? I ended up second overall in the women's beginner class (not that I'm fast, just because none of the faster girls made it to enough races to stay in the points).

KTM #22

WA-Rider

Apr 15, 2003
Thanks for the posts guys!! I'm looking at the new KTM's, the 250exc rfs and 450exc rfs. What do you suggest for a heavier guy that is aggressive but hasn't been riding since 2000? Last bike I had was a 2000 YZ 250 and it just had way too much power. I want something with power that will get me out of trouble if need be and over some nice size doubles but also something that doesn't leave me hangin on the bars superman style.

More posts on rides would be great so keep em comin.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Why not a 2 stroke? They're light and easy to start. I love my 200EXC, and have lots of friends who are loyal to their KDXs too.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
ktm 200 sx or exc would be good choices for an average weight aggressive rider. Any of the bikes includung the 250 and 300 can be jetted for smooth linear power. The larger displacment bikes are a bit easier to be lazy on since they make more power down low. It's not the amount of power but the quality that causes problems.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
you want a bike you can be lazy on and lug all day long I say get a 4 stroke much easier to ride than a 2 stroke. I just switched from being all 2 stroke to a '03 YZ250F back in october and I won't go back to a two now I just wanted to throw that in just my 2 cents personally get what you want what makes you happy don't go buy a YZ450F just cause some one said it was the best bike then get it home ride it and hate it anyways I'm sure you get my point.

Why I really wrote is there's a new MX track opening very soon near oreville (did I spell that right?) near the canadian boarder it's a natural terrain style MX course. Details all vague right now, email for more info roostersmxpk@aol.com (if asked say ya saw it on Eric Wauch's ewmxschools.com site!!!) but it's suppose to have nice loamy soil and 4 100 foot up hills sounds like a blast. Oh yea and I found the website for the old goodnoe hills track it's www.overthebarsgang.com check it out. Still waiting for more details on the new indoor AX track opening in smokey point (arlington) should hear more soon since it's suppose to open sometime in june.

WA-Rider

Apr 15, 2003
Right on!

I found a deal on a brand new 2002 250exc rfs for $4800 shipped to my door practically. I just don't know with all the posts from the bigger 4 stroker's out there, they keep saying I'll grow out of it and it's too lil power for a 225lb guy. If I could find the same deal on a 450 exc rfs I would jump on it. I think I could manage a 450 after a few weeks of riding again from my 2 year break but the 250 sounds like fun. Everyone says its like riding a 125 2 stroke but I"ve only ridden 80's when I was young and 250 2 smokes. What to do what to do?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want a seroius go all day neverstop woods machine so you can pound your riding buddies into the dust, the 250rfs might be the ticket. If you want something to impress your friends in the lot or the back of your truck get the biggest baddest bike you can find. You would probably like the wr250f with the e-button. Its your call. They are all good.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I'm a little guy at 160lbs but I wouldn't get a 4 stroke smaller than a 400. Granted, it would be a four stroke XR but I still like the power of larger engines. Quick and smooth is a lot easier on a larger displacement bike with a flat torque curve, for me at least.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
IMO if you aren't lazy about being in the right gear, the 250 should be fine. I've never ridden KTM's 250 four stroke, but I have ridden Yamaha's, and the bike had plenty of power for me at 190. It's got more power than my XR416 had! And much easier to ride too.

Jeremy

WA-Rider

Apr 15, 2003
Well I've found a deal on a 520 sx 02' brand new for $5300 shipped or a 02' 250 exc rfs brand new for $4800 shipped. Both seem like they would be great bikes but the 520 would be something that I could grow into and also sell faster and easier down the line. I'm thinking the 520 is going to be it, plus its 30lbs lighter and you can always add the e start, lights, and 5th & 6th gears if you need them. Now I just have to hook up with some locals here in Puyallup and ride! Hit me back at joshinu@comcast.net if you want to ride!

L8r
Josh

WA-Rider

Apr 15, 2003
Whats your email fishead, hit me back at joshinu@comcast.net

How's evans creek? Type riding?

I'd really like to find some local trail riding as well as maybe a private track to join and partake in the taking care of, membership fee's etc.

I know that Victor Falls used to allow riders in there with the Mtn Bikes cuz I've seen them, do they still do so?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Evans creek is little like Walker valley and Reiter. Tight woods stuff with some open sections on the 4x roads.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Last time I was at Victor Falls (last year) they had signs posted that 4-stroke motorcycles were allowed. No 2 strokes or ATVs. That was probably my favorite place to go too.

The 520 motor is a beast! VERY easy to ride though. At least the EXC model. It was like and electric motor. Whack the throttle open though, and hold on. If you get it, I've got a buddy I want you to ride in front of for a while. Let him see the kinda roost I hade to take for so long from him! :thumb:

I'm defenatly up for riding anytime. I'm in the same boat as you looking for a track to ride on/maintain. It's worth it IMO.

Jeremy

WA-Rider

Apr 15, 2003
Your too funny Jeremy! I'd be glad to ride in front although being out for a few years I'm sure I'd get passed fast, at least for a month or two but then grab your street bike helmets with the flip down visors because this guy's going to be spittin' some chunks "Washiington style"! lol Just playin'

Anyhow, man that would be great if vicor falls is still open, I was out there the other day hiking around just to enjoy the nice weather and heard some 2 strokes "poachin" it I suppose. I know last year the ATV's were all over the lower sections, but I do know you can't park at the tree farmers lot anymore. So no luck on any tracks eh, there's got to be some one around whos built something! I've heard up past Wilkerson there's some off road riding to be had? I went up there in my Chevy but the brush was scratchin' the **** out of my paint so I turned around after I reached the top on one of the backroads. Well at least I've found ya'll, but there's got to be more riders that read this site and KTM's, I've seen guys all over the place, Time for them to start using the internet and networking!!!

I know this is going to sound dumb but what the heck does IMO mean?

L8r
Josh

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
IMO = In My Opinion

You could also cross the mountains, we have KILLER riding over here. Drag Jeremy too, he talks a big game but hasn't been over here yet. It's awesome. You guys should come over for the Father's day ride! Check the Places To Ride forum for details. It's a great weekend. Bbbom and crew are a great crowd to hang/ride with.

As soon as you pick a bike, post details. 4 strokes are cool and I may switch some day but for now my 200 kicks ass.

I rode a 250RFS and really liked it, but it isn't quite as versatile as my 200. I don't think it would be quite as effective on the track (not that I use a quarter of the horsepower my bike makes as it is) but it was sweet to ride. I also rode a 450SX and liked that too--though it was the SX model, it had the 6 speed installed. Not that I ever got out of 4th, and even then was lugging it a bit. I had a great time on it though--burned a whole tank of gas through it down in Reno last Feb. I'm not too sure on the CRF and YZFs--I've heard they aren't good trail bikes due to the MX gearing. They supposedly tend to stall at low speeds quite a bit. Haven't tried one myself though.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Sounds like the girl has thrown down on you guys. :)

you gonna just sit there or? :laugh:

Haven't been to Evans yet but judging by the snow level a fair amount if not all will be clear of snow.

Last edited:

WA-Rider

Apr 15, 2003
Your a funny man Fishboy,

Firecracker seems like she knows her stuff so regardless if she's a girl she knows more about this area than me so if she's offering out advice and whereabouts I'm all ears.

BTW, an update on the brand new 02' 520sx, the guy wants to move the bike so he's dropped it down to $4900 shipped. Good deal? I'm thinking so!

WA-Rider

Apr 15, 2003
Hey all,

Just an update, my new 520sx will be here Tuesday so for all who have been so kind as to share riding spots and offering to ride I'll be ready by the evening of the 11th or the 12th for sure! I'm just reading the posts and wishing it was Tuesday!

Take care
WA-Rider aka Josh

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Well, Josh, now that you went and told us you're getting it, you're gonna have to let us take turns riding it :p :aj:

Just....remember this in case you hook up with anything else really sweet and want to come tell us about "it" before you try it out yourself :thumb:

rat

Top Bottom