What premix smells like burnt RC nitro fuel?

BMWPower

Jul 7, 2005
I just bought a gallon of Klotz R-50, but it does not smell like I though it would, its still is a great oil though. Sometimes at the track I'll be behind a 2-stroke that smells like a nitro rc car, what type of premix is he using?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
That may not be the premix oil you're smelling, but the fuel he mixed it with..

I've noticed that smell too, I think it's VP fuel.. Not sure though.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Yeah its the sweet smell of race fuel!

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
I used to run Blendzall green label and it had that sort of smell. My brother thought so as well. So maybe that is what you are smelling. Also, I have noticed that Big Lou has some very nice smelling gas. :whoa:

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
I mix race fuel in my GSXR and everyone behind me always wants to know why my bike smells so good. It has a sweet smell to it... They love riding behind me......I also run 927 in my CR and even the thumpers like my smoker...lol always getting appraises for the smell of my bikes....makes me laugh...

digifox

May 25, 2006
the ONLY way to get the smell of nitro RC fuel is Methanol(Another Race fuel)
that and a Castor/Synthetic blend of oils

Nitromethane also plays a part in for the RC fuel smells(causes that wonderful BURN in your eyes and lungs)

i would say though if it smells like a Nitro RC its probably running on Methanol

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Jamir said:
. . . Also, I have noticed that Big Lou has some very nice smelling gas. :whoa:
That has something to do with the strawberry yogurt enemas.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jamir said:
I used to run Blendzall green label and it had that sort of smell.

Blendzall. :cool: Smells exactly like nitro and even makes your eyes burn.

As far as big lou goes,,,I don't know him as well as Jamir does.. :ohmy:

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
You are talking about Klotz Benol. Its got a green label, and says benol on the front. This is the only oil i ever ran in my 2 strokes. It's the castor oil that you are actually smelling.mmmm,good

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Any race fuel smells good. Ether oxygenated fuel smells better! Castor oil is like icing on the cake. Wasn't the good blendzall the gold label? The crap at the gas station makes me gag.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My buddy used Gold Label Blendzall for years and it definitely has some of that RC nitro motor smell to it. FWIW, Blendzall claims the gold label has a 'power booster' additive, but they don't say what it is.

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
I raced 2 strokes since i was about 9. Im 26, and i stopped racing at about 22. The beNOL is an excellecent oil. No gumming up rings or powervalves. I just picked up an 04 cr250. I havent had a chance to run it, but i know from past experience that benol is the shiznit.My last bike was a 03 kx250, and it was always clean as a whistle internally come rebuild time. Go ahead and pick up a quart,you'll be glad you did :cool:

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
That blendzall seems to be about the same as the BeNOL except for th fact that you can use the blendzall in sub-zero temperatures. I'm gonna order some and check it out.The one thing that i didnt like about the BeNOL is its not stable under freezing temperatures.

Feb 25, 2001
I remember going to Supercross races back in the mid 90's & late 90's when it was mostly 2-strokes...walking to the edge of the dome's you could smell the sweet air as the exhaust fumes from the first practice session would lume up towards the concession stands.

It was a sweet aeromatic scent that I have yet to smell since lets say 2002 when 4-strokes were popular.

Im guessing it was the perticular type of oxygenated fuels that they no longer allow at some races??? I would pay good money to go back in time just to smell that smell...... :bang:

Top Bottom