stretch169

Apr 19, 2003
My son currently rides a KTM 65, mostly fields and trails. His ability is much greater than his inseam, as he is almost 12 and only 4'8". Are there any 80's that are friendlier for the height-challenged? I've called around on everything from late 80's to late 90's 80s (mostly CRs), and they all seem too tall. I don't think the CR will be the bike of choice, but of the other brands, what might fit best? Thanks,

Dave

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Alright, I have a CR80 Expert and love Honda and dislike Kawahaky so I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the KX80 would be the way to go for a low seat.

stretch169

Apr 19, 2003
Thanks for the honesty, sounds like it was tough for you to admit! Don't worry, I realize it doesn't mean you think the Kawi is a better bike.

By the way, are the KX80s shorter and easier to ride? Just curious.

Dave

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Believe it or not, but the older Suzuki used to be the shortest. Now they are the tallest. I would let him sit on each one.  Also, try and find bikes for him to ride and then let him decide on what he is most comfortable with.

My son ended up with what was originally his 3rd choice after riding and sitting on each brand.

Last edited:

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
my son is 4'10 and rides an '03 RM85. So your son at 4'8 should be able to fit on any of the 85's. As was already suggested, let him sit on all of them and find the one that he feels most comfortable. Engine wise, the KX and RM's have a power valve, so there is good bottom end. The YZ and CR have less bottom and more top.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
My son has a KX85. He's 10 y.o., about 4'11 and 105 lbs.

My husband was able to go to a machine shop and have them make a new pair of linkage bars that were a little longer than stock and that lowered the back end enough that he feels really comfortable on it. We took the old ones out and had the shop make three sets, each a half inch longer in between the two bolt holes and just tried them out. It seems that for each half inch it lowered the back by about an inch. The machine shop only charged a couple of bucks per set for the steel. He doesn't have a problem bottoming out when he jumps.
My husband on the other hand has gashed the silencer pretty good when he was racing the bike in the mini-bike dash for cash with it though...

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Dave,

I ride my CR on trails all the time, and it works. But if you want more low go with Susuki or Kawahaky. They have a powervalve that puts more power down low on them, But at the same time they don't have the same top end hit as some of the others. Again I like Honda so let your kid at least check out the CR. I ride mine on trails all the time.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'd recommend a KX or YZ based on seat height. The RM, KTM, and CR are all pretty tall. And if your son is a beginner-novice, then I'd recommend the KX (smoother motor/power and more low-end because of powervalves). If he is more intermediate-expert, then a YZ (one rocket of a bike but needs to be revved).

Top Bottom