Snowblower

Feb 4, 2007
Thank you all in advance for your comments.

I am 25 years old and want to trail/field ride what do you suggest?

1) 6' 230lbs
2) strong/agressive
3) fields & woods with friends/light jumping no tabletopping /no street
4) rode when I was a kid - been off bikes for 9-10 years
5) No Racing
6) Zero mechanical knowlege but have friends who will help if needed
7) I like the kawasaki brand & there is a dealer very close who carries kawa, honda & suzuki
9) budget $4-5k
10) I've ridden 3 wheelers & street bikes, but I haven't ridden dirtbikes since I was a kid and Im worried that Im about to spend $4k on a bike that I will not satisfy my need for power.

Called the dealer who told me he has a 2005 kawa kx300 that would be a good fit based on what I've said here. I went to sit on it and it feels good. It's being sold as brand new with warranty for for $4k. Part of me wants a 450 but my brain keeps telling me I don't need it and the kx300 will be fine and is a fair price.

I know little to nothing about dirtbikes and am really leaning on you all to tell me why the kx300 is or isn't a good fit.

I don't know if the kx300 is a 2 or 4 stroke.
I haven't been able to find info on the kx300 on the web.
I can't find used or new to compare pricing. I don't know what to think about the fact that I can't find any kx300's for sale new or used.

Nov 25, 2006
The Bike you're decribing is the KLX300. It would be a fine bike for you, you could also buy a used Kawasaki kdx200 or 220, lighter and more powerul. The kdx is a 2 stroke, the klx300 is a 4 stroke.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
you'll find both the KLX and the KDX to have a low seat height. Big fellers like us might not like that.

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
a 450x i think will be great for you, so would a xr-400 or a yz250, yz250s have high seats, about 39 inches, so it will fit you best, and it is only about 212 pounds.

Snowblower

Feb 4, 2007
Thank you all for the responses.

Hopefully I'll be riding MY bike this weekend.

Is there such a thing as a cheap factory filter that comes on new bikes which everyone knows about and throws away after a few hours of riding?

I know this is a bit long, but I'm excited and I type quickly...

I found a xr400 last night on craiglist and then another stroke of luck today. My girlfriend called me at work and said that she passed three bikes put out for sale this morning by private owner. A 06 kx450 & two yz250s ... Owner's son told me that he will have pricing for me tomorrow on the kx450 because he couldn't get his dad on the phone. The owners are real nice & seem like honest folks.

The son is a racer and told me that I'm too big for the stock yz250 & that the other one is set up for racing and would overheat on trails/woods.
Apparently, his dad bought the kx450 off a kid who knows nothing about bikes, got it for a christmas present & barely rode it.

The kx450 has no chain, but has aftermarket pipe. He said that as soon as they got it, they put the pipe on & took off the factory chain to put a better one on and then decided to sell the bike. They will be putting the new chain on tomorrow.

Here's the part that sounds too good to be true...

He said that before they purchased it, he noticed it still had the factory filter in place which was the main reason they bought it; it was a steal. He told me that the factory filter usually doesn't last more than 10-15 or so hours and be that clean... so he is estimating that it has to be less than 15 hours total on the bike.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
fyi, a 250 two stroke will be plenty of power for you, a 450 four stroke will be more maint. than a two stroke. If you want to keep your friends, I would recomend a two stroke if their going to do the wrenching for you. I personaly feel that the klx300 will be a little under powered for you and so will an xr400. You mentioned you are aggressive, you will like a 250 two stroke. Just my .02

Jan 3, 2007
Depending on how cheep the KX450F is then i would go for that. Most biger riders no offence ride 450s. The 250s are awsome but like to be ridden aggresivly. Unless you put in alot of woods bike components.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the XR400 will last forever. I rode one for seven years and wish I had it back, and I'm 6'8" and a biscuit short of 300 lbs, so don't let anyone tell you it won't pull you around.

of course the KTM 525 I have now pulls me around a lot harder ;)

Snowblower

Feb 4, 2007
The kx 450 IS brand new.. that's why he wants $4800 for it. The yz250 that he has is a 4 stroke for $3850 I think it was a 03 can't remember.

I really liked the yz250 4stroke that he had, but after reading more of your input and talking with this guy I would rather have a 2stroke version. I really do ride more wide open/agressive. At this point I've pretty much decided on the yz250 2stroke - Between 99-04 probably. Is there a specific year that is preferred over others?

Plus, I'll have some extra $ for aftermarket goodies going with the yz250 which Im thinking would beef it up for my size. Nothin fancy, just the basic hop-ups that you all normally do. Like a pipe and what not.

Snowblower

Feb 4, 2007
I should add that the reason I want 2stroke is the maintenance factor.. not because I ride more wide open/agressive. I like the hit on a two stroke better after riding the 4stroke it doesn't feel the same.

Snowblower

Feb 4, 2007
Well it's done and I got a pretty fair deal! I spent less than I originally thought I would have to.

The other day I bought an 04 kx250 for $2400 - It's a beast!

Thanks for the input you all provided. Im glad I went the 2-stroke route.

The guy I bought it from said that he put a new top end on it, jetted the carb & adjusted or maybe he said installed new reeds. - I have somewhat of an idea what he means, but not entirely. I do know that the bike does not want to go slow. It's set up for all-out winding gears.

Top Bottom