upnorthbacon

Jan 28, 2005
Tried a +7oz flywheel on my 01 yz250 to tone it down in the woods but still too much for me! I'm going to order a +13oz and sell off the 7 oz it will be on the classifieds. Anyone running a +13?

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I had an eline light coil on my 01 YZ 250, and I couldn't tell any difference with the extra weight. I rode my buddies RM 250 with a weight on it (11oz i think) and we couldn't tell anything was different. Maybe it's just us.

upnorthbacon

Jan 28, 2005
I'm hoping 13oz will be enough. I actually am going to put my bike up for sale in the mean time and look for a WR :( I'm planning a ride this weekend, if it doesn't smooth it out enough I'm definately going to unload it for something different.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
What else has been done to the bike? If you have an aftermarket pipe on, put the stock pipe back on it! Boyesen reeds, flywheel weight, and drop a tooth on the front sprocket. Woods machine?! Mmmmm.

LiftdT4R

Jun 11, 2009
Wow, with a good tire, PC pipe, and no flywheel weight I was running tight in the woods. I just bought a +7 too see if it would be any different, but I was pretty happy with my 2000 YZ250 as a woods bike. I think it is a lot in the rider, some people just dont like to trail ride 2 strokes.

upnorthbacon

Jan 28, 2005
I'm not real fast, I just ride for fun. I haven't had a two stroke in years so I'm adjusting back to the snappyness. I like the smoothness of a 4 stroke but I wanted something cheap to rebuild and light so I bought the yz. I'll let you guys know how the 13oz works out. I also put on a 49 steel rear sprocket, I'm in between 2 and 3rd on single tracks and I'm hoping I can just run second now, plus have a little extra on top when ridding open trails with my buds and thier wr's and ktms.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You will like the 13 oz weight if you are not used to the snap and want some smoothness. My RM has lots of snap (that I love) and when I started riding primarily in the woods I realized that I needed to tame it down a bit. I added a 9 oz weight and I still have some snap but it is much easier to lug down on slippery, nasty stuff. You will notice it more when going slow than fast.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Stock jetting can also be a culprit. The YZ's come with rich jetting. Leaning out the pilot and needle circuits make for much better bottom end and a much smoother transition in the power. Proper jetting really makes a big difference!

Minor head work and adjusting the ignition timing also helps one smooth out the YZ250's power.

I've got mine feeling like a KDX200 (on steroids!)

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i was thinking of a woods bike just because i like to cruise and my cr250 doesnt like to go at a constand speed you know how they chug. but, i was riding with a guy on a yz250 and he did fine and i had trouble. its more so the rider than the bike. i cant say for sure in your case, ive never ridden with you but. did you trying going into a higher gear? if your in a higher gear the bike wont tend to spin the tire at slower speeds as if you were in first. it will bite a bit. just a thought.

-mike.

upnorthbacon

Jan 28, 2005
Well, I've put on the 13oz today but I also put on a steel rear sprocket -1 tooth. I was really surprised how much difference there was going one tooth smaller in the rear. I was able to lug second gear into the corners nearly idling and had no problems with stalling. I ran mostly second gear and ocassionaly third on a little more opened stretches. The 13oz is almost too much weight now :bang: I'm going to try the new gearing with my original 7oz tomorrow and see how that works. If it's still too snappy, I'm going to have the 13oz milled down to around 10oz and try that. With the 13oz on the bike runs more like a 125, you have to really keep the revs up to get into the powerband. It reminds me of my old 250f, really mild down low and keeps climbing to where it's screaming on top. In wide open stuff it really didn't want to wheelie without pulling on the bars. It's much easier to ride, but you really lose the snappyness With the 7oz it really hooked good and was a ton more snappy, it wanted to wheelie through the first three gears. I think I've got my suspension as dialed in as it's going to get so that may be a factor in traction as well.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'm running an 11oz weight on my 05. I find I can ride a gear high with stock ratio sprokets and have no problem lifting the front wheel when needed. Getting into the beef of the power is no problem. Crisp jetting doesn't hurt either. I'm still running the stock pipe with a small ding in it but have no issues. No fouling or misfires.
If your 13oz weight is too much, take just a little off. Easier to take more off than add it back. Get the jetting spot on and you'll never worry about power or controling it.

Top Bottom