just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
I had one on my 85 KX125 back in the 80's and it was on it when I bought it used. I replaced the silencer with the one that was supposed to be on it after a wheelie went bad and bent it 90 degrees, there was a noticable dif in the quickness of throttle responce and pull, maybe it was just me but I swear their was a dif.

peanuts

Jun 16, 2007
Does this mean I should put the baffle back in my xr250? Geeze I only took it out last night. Wish I'd read this yesterday afternoon. I hate sensible ideas. They always make me feel dumb. :whoa:

M.Mothershead

Jun 21, 2007
I dont't care what anyone says, but I like the noise. If there was no loud exhaust, there wouldn't be as much excitement. Plus, men tend to like the sport and most men like big, loud machines racing around flying through the air, but if there was no exhaust I think it would be kinda boring. And if you dont like the noise, they make a thing called ear plugs, and they work.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
M.Mothershead said:
And if you dont like the noise, they make a thing called ear plugs, and they work.

Shouldn't you be heading off to your Mensa meeting about now?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Mensa: Top 2% IQ.
I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I know my loud bike works towards losing riding privileges for me AND my fellow riders...........ummm, I think

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
M.Mothershead said:
That makes no sense. Do you even know what Mensa is?

ironic

adjective
1. humorously sarcastic or mocking;

2. characterized by often poignant difference or incongruity between what is expected and what actually is;

bloodorange

Jun 19, 2007
I just replaced a hollowed out silencer (packing was removed) for a Pro circ 296 silencer on the bike I just bought.

I lost a tiny bit off the low end but made up for it by (ETA-meant increase) dropping 2 teeth on the front spkt. Even before the sprocket change i noticed a lot more punch in the mid that carries through the top end.

I'll take that over the noise anyday, plus the stealth factor. Being able to take it to a field down the street that's near a neighborhood and office park for quick testing of tweaks and repairs is priceless.

Holding a conversation with another rider without having to shut it off is nice too. Not getting dirty looks from others in the camping/staging areas is also nice.

Last edited:

stayfly3327

Jul 25, 2007
M.Mothershead said:
I didn't mean to cause such a problem..I was simply providing my opinion.

but your opinion made no sence
you think that everyone that comes near dirtbikes that think there to loud should put a ear plugs in
thata good idea but the plain and simple truth is most people are assholes and when theres something thats bothering them theyll tryin and stop it from happening ever again
beleive me i kno from expeirence (neighbors dont like my freinds or my music and mostly kids in general but i also live in a neigborhood with probably about 80% elderly people)
and i also must say that kids these days love attension and i know plenty of kids who buy new quads and the first thing they do with them is take off the silencers and just make them sound loud and obnoxious

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
M.Mothershead said:
What do you mean by "riding priveledges"?

Well, believe it or not, being permitted to ride ANYWHERE (including your OWN property) is a PRIVILEGE. You see, you don't actually own your property - the government does, and you own an INTEREST in it. That's how things such as zoning laws control what can be done and where. If you don't believe me, just go to your town and read the zoning regs.......

Our bikes CAN be made quieter, but right now, quiet isn't PROFITABLE. "Cool" is. "Fast" is. "More power" is.

I don't care what kind of vehicle it is - MX bike, learjet, lawnmower, Harley, crotch-rocket, drag car, speedboat, or whatever - loud is not cool. The funny thing is, some types of motorized sports noise is more accepted than others (drag racing, NASCAR, speedboats come to mind), and even noise created by non-motorized sports or activities (gun range, outdoor concerts) - why is that? I think part of it has to do with a perception that motorcyclists (dirt or street) are "bad boys" - similar to the perception that a mechanic is a "grease monkey" - both of which are negative perceptions, and neither of which is true.

Okie (and others) are 100% right - we (the riders) need to try to make our bikes quiet enough that the general public won't be bothered by the noise. If we try to educate fellow riders, as well as Joe Q. Public, we can make it happen and preserve our sport.
It starts with us - WE buy the bikes, the pipes, the silencers, etc. The builders (OEM's, Exhaust, etc.) build what sells - i.e., what is profitable. As long as someone is buying the stuff, they'll keep selling it. Well, unless either the government or race promoters/sanctioning bodies require noise standards, but I don't think the answer is mandatory regulation. It may come to that. It did in Europe.

May 9, 2007
"They" don't like "us" because "they" are the mothers and fathers who told "us" we couldn't ride because the bikes are dangerous. Bottom line, the haters are people who just hate motorcycle. Noise is just their outlet to ban a sport "they" don't like becaie "they" perceive it as dangerous.

iamdawalru5

Apr 26, 2006
I have known of this article for some months now, maybe even a year. I have always had it in mind from the time I read it, the idea that noise is bad. I just picked up my kx250 with the stock pipe, but with an fmf powercore2 silencer. I don't know how this exhaust compares in noise to the stock silencer because the guy I got it from didn't have it to give to me. Any thoughts? I know its pretty loud, not as loud as new fourstrokes or debaffled motorcycles anyway but we're barely skidding by on being able to use a local land owner's property. Last year the big complaint in this particular person's eyes, or as I should say ears was the noise we were making.

Is the powercore 2 too loud? This motorcycle has serious grunt that I have never had in a 2 stroke before and would hate to see it go, but Id rather not get kicked off someones land for noise reasons again. Thanks

Alex

White_Wolf

Oct 1, 2007
Noise I can not stand it. I mean on a truck maybe but not a dirtbike. I think quitter the better. Why would you want a loud dirt bike while riding plus would annoy me after awhile. I enjoy riding with friends and through the woods to look. It would suck to have to turn my dirtbike off ever time just to talk to my friend. Plus I love watching animals in the wild. Loud pipes would scare them all off. Just my opinion

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom