Clear Creek Canvassing and Carvings

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Somehow the tide of the “let’s ride Saturday” thread turned my way and I was able to meet up with some Northern Californians at Clear Creek. It’s on BLM-managed land, situated in the San Benito mountains (coast range) a little over two hours south of the San Francisco bay area. It’s even closer to those who live in the central valley. 50k acres are contained within the confines of this pristine area, which was mined as late as 1970 for cinnabar to process into liquid mercury. And if that’s not enough, the area contains friable serpentine asbestos; what I remember from my schooling, there were at least two types: a straight, and another with “hooks” – the latter may very well be the stuff here. Ugh.

I left my place before the sunrise, thinking it be proper not to be late in meeting my guides at the agreed time. As it turned out the drive up was not only pleasant but rather efficient going up Highway 101. Thinking this could very well be a speed trap I kept it at the legal limit.

Big acreage and farms abound in the southern end of the Salinas Valley, along with low-laying fog, especially with the green rolling hills covered with oak trees, green grass and cattle. Yes siree, this is cow country. Dig it. That’s future tri tip and carne asada tacos in them hills. And there is actually water flowing in the streambeds; imagine that – something I haven’t seen for some time. Does that mean I will actually cross water today?

Arriving ahead of all the others afforded me the time to sort out a few things in an efficient manner. But my first “oops!” came when fueling up me horse: feeling something strange on my thigh, I pulled back the gas can, only to douse the tank top with premix. Drip, drip, drip. What a mess. Oh well: it will evaporate in time.

As the fuel was vaporizing, Jonala pulled in, followed by Bigbird; usual intros ensued (hey, I don’t feel so old after all), and we geared up.

D36 shows with his flaming/purple KDX, unloads and dresses in a hurry. The first crash of the day came when his stand gave in- all at zero MPH. He lost only the ball-end of his clutch lever.

Then my second “oops!” came when inadvertently locking up my cab – with both ignition keys inside! What a bonehead. Jonala tries his key to no avail (must work only on GMs), so he gave me a hanger to play with, saying, “at least y9ou can ride today - thanks for the encouragement, brother. After a few futile attempts, I was able to unlatch the doors with the door lock/unlock button. Phew!

Jonala and BB go over to the posted map to strategize the day’s trails, we then head off, crossing the creek first thing. Cool. A splish/splash and we go up the hill. Every 25 feet or so there’s a water bar to jump, and after a few awkward jumps I find a rhythm. Then BB comes to a sudden stop. “WTF?” I see his chain dragging in the dirt. Upon closer examination, his chain snapped, and wedged in the case saver; no tools were going to get it out. With that he coasted back to camp (we were maybe ¾-mile uphill) and the work ensued. After forcing this and that, trying this or that tool, he insists we head off while he continues to work on it.

Jonala leads D36 and me back up and over the hill into some fine single track. At one split he stops and points in another direction as if we made a wrong turn, in need of going another way than we were. So we waited a few seconds for D36 to turn around, which he didn’t, and Jonala went off to what I though was to get him turned around. But they kept going, so after ten minutes I head off after them, trying to read the tracks like an Indian hunter. My attempts were in vain so I headed back to wait another 10 minutes at the spot I last saw them. No sign. I scouted the hills to and fro then decided it’d be best to head back to camp. Turns out they came back to the same spot, perhaps between my waits.

BB had gotten his chain completely off and on again and was adding a clip to the second master link when I pulled in. After that we were able to regroup and head off together again. This loop was longer and afforded us some unimaginable variety. Beautiful country and vistas; some trails wide-open, many tight and twisty. Hill climbs galore. Stream crossings. One downhill took us to some really tight, jersey-snagging area where there was this groove you placed both tires in and essentially slid down; left, right, then repeat again and again. Some spots were so steep I could feel the rear tire come up in the air. Often. Then there was this on RH turn/step down I knew I had to bulldog down. Now mind you, being rather proud in the saddle, I’m not one to bulldog – nope, haven’t done it in decades, if ever, but here there was another option and therefore had to not only eat my pride but some soil as I had to side-saddle on the downhill side (wrong!) and the bike took a plop, me a shoulder roll. I heard D36 say “oh, man”; as I got it up upright, I couldn’t see a thing – goggles being fogged up, yet they had to be on otherwise experience eye shish-ka-bob, Bob. So you see, Bob, I had quite the dilemma. But my kind NoCa brethren had the patience to let this undernourished desert lizard have a breather before the final descent into the creek and onto the other side of salvation. Phew!

Oh! I forgot to mention that one ¼ mile downhill, filled with bowling ball-sized rocks, and when you tried to control downhill speed, they simply dislodged and went with you. Touchy stuff.

We had ~43 fun-filled miles before packing it up for the day, and vowed to do it again soon.

Day Two.

Another fine drive up and I arrive well in advance, enough for a 5-10 minute nap. Fremontguy (hereafter FG) approaches and introduces himself, leaving us to get ready then wait for the rest. And wait we did. Then a ranger passes by. She looked familiar, although we’ve never met. “You John’s sister?” “Why yes” she said, rather pleasantly and surprised. She pointed off to where they usually stage, with the Moron Magnet, as she called it (his trailer with the Aftershock banner). I ask here about the turkey brick; she laughs (about the overcooked Thanksgiving turkey John mentioned).

Well, no shows yet, so FG takes me on a short loop, then back to camp. No Farmer and friends. We do another loop. Nope: they houred out - DQ’d for sure. With that we plotted a course and ventured off to the Netherlands. On the first up hill I’m following FG too closely as he clears this water bar. Upon landing sends this bucket-o-roost/rocks pelting my new Arai and chest protector. I mad the mistake of letting off and boooggg, boooooogggg, bbooog, bog_____. Mmmm; mestuck on hill too steep and loose to restart, so must go back down and try again. FG waits for me but is not one for many breaks so he take me into some of neat-o single track thru the north face of the hills, still damp for the storm few weeks ago. As we approached the far end some connectors had nasty rock up hills, but we were able to conquer those without incident. We tried some spurs, but most were dead ends. At one point thinking we had traveled far enough we broke for lunch, perched atop a high mountain. You could see the snow-capped Sierras and fog in the California central valley. Then there were the two microwave relay towers off in the distance on two separate peaks.

After lunch FG suggests I lead (mistake?!). We went down and then up some really steep and long hills; going down was nothing more or less than controlled slides; up a test of line selection and horsepower. After a failed attempt FG confessed hills weren’t his best arena, so I looked for different paths. We ventured into the Natural Area (off-road use limited) only to turn around; the way out was just as much of a challenge since there was a mud bog every few hundred feet. On one of the longer ones I jetted across the water just fine but near the end the mud said “hold it there, partner” and I laid it over; at least it was not in the water. A little clutch slippage and extra throttle, then I was out of that muck. We then connected to a trail, eventually leading us to the plan crash site; mangled pieces of aluminum and steel.

Once there we figured it’d be good to head back to camp as it was past 2pm. Dumping out at a place called Sawmill, we circled around to find a way over the ridge, and eventually found our way back to the main valley and camp. Fun!

With that the adventures of the desert lizard came to a close. What I can say is Clear Creek is one outrageous big and scenic place to ride; one is not lacking for variety.

Later that evening as I was hosing down my bike in the darkness, the neighbor kid – maybe eight-, maybe ten-years old, approaches me and says: “Is that a dirt bike?” “Yep.” “Then why are you washing it?” “Well, I have to work on it; don’t want to get dirty now.” “Is this where you put your feet?” pointing to the peg. “Yep. And where do you put your hands?” “Here?” “Yep” “Gotta go.” “Bye.”

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Nice report ... sounds pretty exotic out there.

The asbestos thing doesn't scare you off ?

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Well, I was there.

I am glad to hear that you guys were able to hook up & ride. I have ridden all over the western United States, & I firmly believe The Creek is at the top of the list of places to ride.

I rolled into the canyon around 7:00 & decided I would park in the back of Jade Mill and go on a quick recon ride into a canyon that I have been considering for the '04 Boar, then come back & be at Oak Flat around 9:00.

Everyting was going right on schedule until I got caught in a bush. Literally.
As I was following my new "alternate" route into Larious canyon I flipped myself & the mighty 440 off the side of the mountian. I landed in a nice Manzanita bush. I was stuck. I was approx 3 feet off the ground & could not move. I had parts of bush through all my gear, chest protector, pants, & a branch up the back of my helmet. Fortunatly I had my folding saw. After about 20 minutes I could put my feet on the ground, now all I had to do is get out of the bush, find my bike & figure out how to get out. ;)

It took me another 20-30 minutes to get out of the center of the bush & find my bike. Took awhile to get the bike upright. Thank god for gas tank check valves!! Once the 440 was all in order I took off most of my gear cleaned as much manzanita out of my clothes as possible & started exploring for the easiest rout to get me & the 440 out. I ended up only having to cut 4 or 5 bushes to make a nice side hill trail back to the trail that I had augered off of.

By this time I am slightly pissed & very tired.

Hike/climb back to the bike, Suit up & head out my little "path".

Okay, I was now out of my little detour, but still had the rest of Larious Canyon to deal with. I got back to the truck around 1 in the afternoon. I had traveled 12 miles, missed meeting up with some good DRN members, had a crushed pipe, broken chest protector, no helmet visor, & still did not know of a "C" friendly way in & out of the canyon. :ugg:

I loaded up, placed my tail firmly between my legs & went home.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by placelast
And if that’s not enough, the area contains friable serpentine asbestos; what I remember from my schooling, there were at least two types: a straight, and another with “hooks” – the latter may very well be the stuff here. Ugh.
The naturally occuring asbestos at the Creek is of the straight variety. Unfortunatly the U.S. government does not recognize that there are 2 varieties. They just make decisions on a "all asbestos is bad" basis.
Originally posted by the Eel
Nice report ... sounds pretty exotic out there.
You would like it, Eric. You need to come up some time. I think your drive is about the same as mine. 3 - 3.5 hours.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Got to get me 1 of those folding saws, sounds like they come in handy. Sorry to miss you Farmer J., glad you are ok.&nbsp;That canyon wasn't on our loop, otherwise we could of all got stuck together :eek: Nice write up Placelast. The visibility was great up by that radar station and the hills endless.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Thinking this could very well be a speed trap I kept it at the legal limit.

King City is infamous with Cal Poly students for a reason...... I'm convinced the entire city budget is funded from speeding tickets issued to Cal Poly students.

](hey, I don’t feel so old after all)

that's gonna leave a mark.....

I've got the cure to Davis' prison building budget problems - just dump all the inmates in a manzanita patch and they'll never get out without a saw. There's a reason I carry a folding pack saw.....

Brian

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
... sounds pretty exotic out there.

The asbestos thing doesn't scare you off?

Come on up. I'm half way there as one drives along the coast, and have space in my living room/bachelor pad for sleeping bags (not much furniture) - that goes for the rest of the SCWR.

Asbestos? I'm either off on the opposite side of the trail or as close as it is safe to the whomever is in front of me to keep dust intake down, whether it's in the dez or there at CC; otherwise if you hate dust intake as much as I do then that motivates you to become a better rider.

Heck, all that suff can do is take a day or two out of your life. And being it's the straight stuff (instead of the one with hookies), then the body can process it, so we're OK.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000

Say Brian, now that I've moved away (from SoCa), who's gonna show you their fav. desert areas?

Oh, ye of little faith... Grew up in Socal, went to school at Poly, now live in Norcal. Maybe I could show you around some of my favorite areas? Seriously, have you gotten out to Pozo yet or is it too wet?

Brian

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Great report, sounds like an adventure.

Placelast- how long did it take you to get there from your new digs? Looks like a haul.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
Oh, ye of little faith... Grew up in Socal, went to school at Poly, now live in Norcal. Maybe I could show you around some of my favorite areas? Seriously, have you gotten out to Pozo yet or is it too wet?

Brian

Oh, me of little stature: I grew up in Norcal, went to school in Norcal, then lived in SoCa, now midCa.

Nope. Haven't been to Pozo yet, but am anxious to do so; was hoping Mr. WR would show me. It's appears to be > an hour, door to ride :)

Originally posted by 2strok4fun
how long did it take you to get there from your new digs? Looks like a haul.

Not bad. (About as far to the dez near Red Mountain/Charlie's Place.) 2 hours, 40 minutes; going the speed limit and there was absolutely no traffic. I was the only one on the road most of the time. The NorCa guys were saying it took them 2 1/2 hours from their side so it's a good half way for us.

You mean you haven't looked it up on a map just yet?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
If you're in Santa Maria it will be ~90 minutes to Turkey Flat staging area. Used to take just about 45 minutes from SLO. Going across Hi Mtn road may not be the best route since it's a dirt road - unfortunately it's the direct route from Santa Maria.

I could be convinced to come down for a Pozo weekend. In fact, I'll probably be there for the Cal Poly Penguins DS in April.

Brian

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002

You mean you haven't looked it up on a map just yet?

Of course I have, have Mapsource & GPS, will travel :) Just wanted to know the time.

I could do a roadie with enough advance notice.

Hmm lets see..
leave work on friday afternoon, crash at the temporary bachelor pad, wake up early and travel to points further north. It could happen.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
E-mail me at millenniumdsj@hotmail.com to get more info. Anyone's welcome (except mxBundy - he takes up too much room.)

I'd suggest we do it once another storm pases thru since Clear Creek is drying out from the last, and I figured Pozo is the same.

In addition I am planning on doing Ballinger Canyon soon after a rain. Watch the Places to Ride Fourm or invite yourselves.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Anyone coming up from LA to Clear Creek can take I-5 up to Coalinga and go in the back way via Jayne Avenue/Derrick Avenue to Los Gatos/Coalinga Road.

From the grapevine Gorman/Hungry Valley it should be about 3 hours drive to Clear Creek in a pick-up.

It's a great riding area, but if you don't have a guide, you could spend a lot of time figuring out where you are. :cool:

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
One downhill took us to some really tight, jersey-snagging area where there was this groove you placed both tires in and essentially slid down; left, right, then repeat again and again. Some spots were so steep I could feel the rear tire come up in the air. Often. Then there was this on RH turn/step down I knew I had to bulldog down. Now mind you, being rather proud in the saddle, I’m not one to bulldog – nope, haven’t done it in decades, if ever, but here there was another option and therefore had to not only eat my pride but some soil as I had to side-saddle on the downhill side (wrong!) and the bike took a plop, me a shoulder roll.

There must be something wrong with me. :ugg:

Descents that are open, I panic, I'll dismount and walk the bike down. The goat trail, I was having a good time. It must be the security of knowing if I screw up the manzanita will catch me. I was also white knuckled as I returned from aborted attempt up the single track climb a few minutes earlier. :scream:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Great writeups thanks.

Farmer John, I've been hung up like that in Tecate - trapped by the bike, upside down in the manzanita!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Awesome reports John. :thumb:

What is this wetness of which you speak???? :scream:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I thought Manzanita was a protected plant. You sawed one up? I think the eco-nazis would say the right thing to do would have been to lay there and die!
Good report Placelast---almost felt like I was there! I've gotta go shower now; I'm all sweaty!

Top Bottom