hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
Fairly new to riding. I've got an older xr play bike and love it but it is small and old. I am wanting to step it up a bit but not to much. I am thinking crf150f or 230f. I've found a dang good deal on a 150 and have read the power difference between the 150 and 230 is not substantial. Just looking for some insight on this topic. Will the 150f have enough power for a 180 pound guy?? Not wanting to race just be play around and have fun!

Apr 30, 2007
hitman30 said:
Will the 150f have enough power for a 180 pound guy?? Not wanting to race just be play around and have fun!

I wouldn't suggest it.

Go with an XR 200, or XR 250, they are not race machines, but a lot of fun to ride! My brother has had one for quite some time, and they are bullet proof, cheap, and easy to maintain.

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
justalonewolf007 said:
I wouldn't suggest it.
Could you elaborate a little... Thing is, I've found a good deal on this 150f. If I dont go with that bike it'll 96% most likely be a new 230f. Seems to me the only differences in the 150f and 230f is a beefier suspension on the 230, bigger tires, and maybe a little more power.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The 230 is neat but the 250 is significantly better suited to somebody 180 pounds and will offer more options for improving the bike as you decide you want more.

Apr 30, 2007
hitman30 said:
Could you elaborate a little...

How tall are you? I am pretty sure you're taller than me (5'2"), and if so, your frame size is going to be way too big for tha that bike. You may be used to riding the smaller motorcycles, but really, it's just not that great of an idea. When you are cramped on a bike, you cannot manuver it effectively, and your rides will most likely be far more uncomfortable. I've seen quite a few people on bikes that are too small for them, and often, they get hurt.

What is the terrain like where you'll be riding? If you end up wanting to play in any gravel pits, the 150 will basically sit and spin, if that.

Height also makes a difference. If you are completely folded up on the bike, it can end up being downright dangerous, even if you are riding around at slow speeds.

The 150F will be undersprung and underpowered. The frame is too small, and the bike isNOT meant for someone your size. You may have to pay a lot more in parts due to faster wear and tear on the bike caused by your size.

My CR80, (with the racing suspension which is more performance based than the 150F suspension) has a top weight capacity of 175 pounds.

You could get a 230, and do okay on it, as it is able to handle someone your size. Bigger wheels make the bike far more stable and less "jumpy" at any speed. The suspension is also more set for your weight. However, it probably will limit your riding abilities, even if you aren't going to race. It is very heavy for it's power.

As Patman very wisely said, get a 250F or X. You can still have fun, and you won't burn up your bike. It's weighs only a few pounds heavier than the 230, but the power is so much better and more versitile. You won't be left wishing that you'd gotten a bigger bike, and it will last you as long as you want!

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
I'm 5'8" plus short legs so seat height is defintely and issue. I understand and agree with what you are saying about the 150f. Guess I was trying to talk myself into thinking it would work...

I'd LOVE to have a 250x but the price is steep and probaly to tall and too much bike for my experience! However, I defintely see that being my next upgrade.

90% of my time will be riding trails. I dont plan on doing any BIG jumping... I just want a comfortable bike to have fun with.

I figure I can add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket and uncork the air flow on a 230 and have enough power to keep up with anybody I ride trails with...?

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
justalonewolf007 said:
I wouldn't suggest it.

Go with an XR 200, or XR 250, they are not race machines, but a lot of fun to ride! My brother has had one for quite some time, and they are bullet proof, cheap, and easy to maintain.

i agree. i am about to get a 250 because my 160 pound lard butt is still riding an 85 2 stroke. it still brings me joy though :laugh:

Apr 30, 2007
hitman30 said:
I'm 5'8" plus short legs so seat height is defintely and issue...

I'd LOVE to have a 250x but the price is steep and probaly to tall and too much bike for my experience!

If price is of concern, get an XR250. They are cheap, bullet proof, and can be found everywhere. I am super tiptoe on them (I didn't squish the suspension down too much), which means you'll probably be just fine. The power is very forgiving and predictable.

I like to call those bikes the easy going "faithful old golden retrievers" of motorcycles. All in all, they're just downright friendly to ride.

Pick one up, and give it a good day of riding, I can prettymuch guarantee that you won't regret it.

I have to point out that the 250X is definitely not too much bike for you, even if you consider yourself a beginner. Give it one or two good days of riding, and you'll love the bike! I am...not big (5'2" and 110), and am comfortable (and have a lot of fun with) the power of a 250R model.

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
This is good stuff... I have always thought the 250x is Bad A! Maybe I'll save a little money and go with the step up! It gives me cold chills just thinking about having one of those!!! My only other issue is the cost and frequent need to rebuild the racier 250x/r engine. How often is valve replacement, porting (etc) necessary on those engines? This same issue worries me about buying a used one.

Do the xr200's and 250's have suspensions comparable to the 250x's or 230f's?

I appreciate the insight from you guys!!!!

Phil

Nov 17, 1999
Get the XR250.
Ride it for a season, then if you think you want more bike, you can probably sell it for just about what you paid for it.

Apr 30, 2007
hitman30 said:
Do the xr200's and 250's have suspensions comparable to the 250x's or 230f's?

Kinda?

An XR 200 or XR 250 is going to be a little older bike. The suspension will be just fine for your riding style...(the 200 model might be a touch on the softer side for you...but only a touch).

I believe the CRF 250X's suspension has been "revamped" slightly...due to it being a newer model. But I better do a little extra research before I say a positive yay or nay on this.

Glad to see you're doing your research and stuff before jumping on a purchase! We do like helping people out on this site...it's one of the best you'll find!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The XR250 is perfect for you at 5'8". It's also a perfect fit for your riding. Don't feel like you need an X of F bike because you don't. The stock XR250 is a good bike and it can be made in to a real sweet off road racer... yeah like run with the X & F bikes in the woods type race bike. It's a little heavier but most of us could stand to lose a few pounds so what's the big deal. The suspension can be fixed with anything from revalve and springs plus a fork brace to a complete swap. For and idea of how to take it too far http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=107809&highlight=Emig

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
good stuff!!!! Any particular model XR250 I should look for???? I'd like to go as new as possible considering the likely hood of having fewer hours of use. Should I look out for any big maintenance issues????

I 'preciate all the help!!!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
1996 and newer will all be the same bike just different color plastic. Sure less hours is better but as long as it's been maintained with oil/filter changes it's going to be hard to go wrong. Pick up a Honda Factory Service Manual and you'll be set for a lot of riding and very little wrenching, but well documented for the little care it will need. I'm still amazed at the folks that think they must have a F or X bike when a XR would be plenty of bike and a lot less $$.

Apr 30, 2007
:cool:

You rock Patman!

That thread makes me want to *permanently* borrow my brother's XR!

There you have it hitman!

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
Would one say the xr250 is between the 250x and 230f in performance?

Sorry if I seem to be beating a dead horse, I'm just trying to make a good decision on this. I'd love to see yall's opinion on a heads up comparision of the 230f and an 03' xr250 in terms of suspension, power, and handling!!!!!

Apr 30, 2007
I'll take a few more swings if need be. I kinda like hitting stuff :)

The XR weights 2 pounds more than the CRF 230. Also has an inch more travel in the suspension...Handling? Well...it'sa be the same difference, the bikes are pretty closely sized framewise from what I can tell. Check the specs out yourself, and see what you think:

http://www.zachosports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=5513&Manufacturer=1 XR250

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/new_vehicle_detail.asp?VehicleCode=5514 CRF 230F

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My buddy has a 230 for his wife and I've ridden it a few times. To me the stock XR250 is superior not greatly but enough to make a difference. Kick it up a few notches or go off the deep end and it no comparison to the 230. Now a modded XR250R compared to a X? Well the X has the magic button and little better suspension and a weight advantage but no enough for me to care (228 vs 240). I prefer the XR because it doesn't have radiators and requires virtually no maintenance even though I am OCD with that too it's good to know I don't have to be. The X has a WR 5 speed the XR has a 6 speed! Pump up the XR to a 280/284 and it's got a better IMHO power delivery for woods riding in a 92% scale chassis. I've considered selling my franken bike and can never quite get there because it really works THAT good for me.

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
Couple more questions for all you knowledgable guys...

What are some thoughts on a 2000 kdx200?

Any big differences in the xr250 models ranging from 1987 until 1995? I think I remember seeing someone say all the 1996 and up models are same other than plastic.

How much effort would it take to convert a cr125 to a trail friendly bike?

I really appreciate all the comments and help!!!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The KDX is basically a green 2 stroke XR250.

I'd say try and go for the 1996 and up XR250 everything is easier to get for them.

CR125 could be an interesting trail type bike with some work. We just picked up one for my son a few months ago that has a big bore kit and I'm pretty impressed with the basic bike. It needs a flywheel weight, different porting and gearing to make it a better trail bike in my book for a start. Keep in mind it's a vastly different machine from a XR/KDX!

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
I've found a 1993 cr125 for $950 and a 1999 kx125 for $1200. Assmuing I do all the work other than major machining working, how much would it cost to make either a nice trail friendly bike? How does the power of a trail friendly 125 compare to a kdx200? I like the idea of a lighter weight 125 mx'er but not sure about the stiffer suspension. I also like the idea of a 2stroke given they are mechanically more simple and I have more experience working on'm...

Apr 30, 2007
Well, actually, I'm not a guy! :)

Modifying a CR 125 to be "friendly?" I've never heard of it being done before.

Would this bike be for you? Or another person?

Check this article out for a few tips and hints. It's not a CR, but it is a race bike tuned to be more playful.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=150768

The main items to look at are a change of sprocket sizes (go a tooth bigger in the rear?) and the flywheel weight?

As far as the XR250 goes, I'm not sure as far as those years go. (Eek, they're almost before my time). Patman would be the guy to ask.

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
I defintely apologize lonewolf... Yes, the bike would be for me! I am sort of liking the idea of a toned down - trail friendly kx125. I REALLY like the idea of having a lighter weight bike. I also have a nice mx track 2 mintues from my house and it would be sweet to have something I could ride there if my heart so desired.

Patman, could you elaborate on the differences between the kdx/xrs and kx/crs? Not so much about the mechanical differences but more about how they will handle, deliver power, and the overall trail riding experience. Does the kx125 have more/less power than the kdx200 or are they even comparable? Assuming the kx/cr has a fly wheel weight and larger rear sprocket.

Which would YOU go with for trail riding: a trail moded kx125 or a kdx200?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Can't speak for a KX125, never rode one but popping a KDX engine in a KX chassis is a popular trail bike option. For me I like all bikes so as long as I hadsomething to ride it really wouldn't matter if it was red or green. If I got to pick it would be red for sure, just overall quality of everything is better IMHO. Depending if you are wanting to plunk around or ride fast will make a big impact on which bike is a better choice, a MX based 125 is going to be more demanding than a KDX in the tight stuff but a KDX isn't going to be nearly as comfortable on a track being ridden hard.

If I HAD to pick a green bike I would pop a KDX engine in a KX chassis. If I had to choose between a 1993 CR125 and a 1999KX125 I'd choose the KX125. If I had to choose between a aluminum frame CR125 and my modded XR284 I'd just open my trailer and pick one knowing the other would be there when I got back.

You have come a loooooong way from your original idea, I'd suggest sitting back and really thinking and reviewing your skills, needs and finances before pulling the trigger. I spent over a year planning and building my XR and it was the best thing I could have ever done because I really had to think things out. Don't short change yourself just to get anything that pops up get what you decide you need.

hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
Yea I defintely understand what you mean Patman and I feel like I am doing that. I want to get a feel as to how a toned down mx'r handles on the trails versus a kdx/xr. I want to buy the bike that fits me, my style, and skills the best at as reasonable a price as possible. Thats why I am asking all these questions from left field about kx's xr's and everything in between. I still really like the xr250 and have a few on my list. I, too, tend to favor the red machines but have read a lot of great things about the reliability of the kdx. I also like the idea of a lighter, quicker 2 stroke mx'r. Patman, along with everyone else... You folks have been a TREMENDOUS help thus far!!! I feel like I am working towards making a good decision on my upgrade, mainly because of the advice I have received on this forum.

So, you say a mx bike is more demanding on the trails... Could you speak a little more about that? More clutch action needed? Doesnt handle as well? Harder to make the tight turns? Harder to control the power? I noticed you have both a cr and xr so I really value your opinion!!!

Top Bottom