Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you ride fast trails it's not as big of an issue as if you were riding tight, technical or sloppy trails because yes power delivery has a lot to do with it. A 125 2 stroke is going to need to be rev'ed to make power and trying that in the woods can be demanding. Anything CAN be fixed to make it more what you want it just depends do you want to spend money and time on modifications or not? My time on a KDX left me wanting more, it was lacking suspension a bit more than a stock XR but not much worse. It lacked good bottom end grunt compared to an XR250 but it should as it is a different engine. The power delivery was smooth especially for a 2 stroke. The bike just wasn't for me.

My son's CR is a fun bike, I like it a lot but in the nasty snotty rocky technical stuff I really like I wouldn't even consider it knowing I have my XR284 tractor with 6 speeds available. The XR250 is like a 92% scale bike so it just works better in the tight stuff and with the monster motor Rich built me it will easily handle anything I throw at it. I also enjoy trials and while I am not a good trils rider I appriciate a compact bike with almost limitless steering stops and massive bottom end. You might like a KDX better it just totally depends. I did recently convinced a friend to get a XR250. He's a smaller guy with limited dirt experience and had ridden a CRF450 and just didn't like it at all. His brother bought a RM250 and he didn't like it much either but he LOVES the XR!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Depends who you ask. I've ridden both and vastly prefer the XR others will swear by the KDX. The KDX you have to mix the gas the XR is straight gas other than that one is red and one is green they both fill the same gap. If you want a bike with crazy potential then it's hands down the XR.

I guess if it's a consideration making the XR street legal would be easier as well.

Apr 30, 2007
Ride red! Get the XR :)

Really...I'd suggest it because I know what an XR is like. My brother has his for years, and it has never let him down...

I don't know about KDXs, and openly admit to being biased towards Hondas, since I know them the best.

And...mixing gas can be tiring sometimes...

Top Bottom