Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
Dave186:... we have 5 teams of less than 3 people in Tag Team MX. Could one of those be your third partner? does 380EXC remember?
NO you can't pick Brownie!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Somehow, some way, I knew someone would turn these races into a typical weekend race. This crap keeps-up, we won't race at all.

There are ALWAYS going to be people who just don't get it. Looks like we will have to control who runs in what classes next year.

Psst.. motodawg, careful, you are sounding like a motodad :scream: . It's for fun. Nothing more. Not for trophies. Not for money. The C Class is for those that don't race. The B class is for those that have/do. A/Pro is for those that believe they are "fast", by DW standards and Pro's.

Yes, when it's obvious that someone is sandbagging, rather intentional or not, they'll get bumped. It happened the last two years at least once. Generally, someone believes that are signed-up in the right class based on our description, I doubt it happens often due to someone wanting to clean-up. We give the benefit of the doubt and ask the rider to run the next higher class, moving everyone else up in the standings.

Frankly if someone podiums in B and C, something is wrong, I think that's obvious. The person should get the trophy for B and allow the C riders to move up. It's called sportsmanship. DW races are about just that. I can tell you, watching 141 ride, he should not have been in the C class. His running partner out there (#35 Eric) ran the A class only. Wasn’t 141 faster than Eric?

Enter in the moto that fits next year as your primary class. If you want to run others, fine, but anyone that runs multiples will not get trophies/plaques for anything other than their primary class. You can only podium in your primary class. Yes, the idea is to "spread the wealth" as mentioned. Not much fun handing all the trophies to one person, regardless of how proud you are.

No, C riders will not be allowed to line-up in the A/Pro just to "run with the Pro's".

Squabbles like this really put a dark cloud over the whole thing. It’s all a learning experience I guess, hopefully everyone will have a better understanding next year. Just have fun, okay?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Okie
Somehow, some way, I knew someone whould whine and turn these races into a typical weekend race. This crap keeps-up, we won't race at all.

There are ALWAYS going to be people who just don't get it.

Sorry Okie but the podium or "Soap Box" always gets hauled out "BEFORE" certain people know the whole story.

Phillip

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
^5 Lou! I went from 23rd last year to 4th this year. I was looking for a top ten, too.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
<----Promises to have fun! ;)

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
Wrench cutting the track and jumping in front of people wasn't cool at all. I WAS having fun, after a bad start I moved my way up and finally caught up with the pack, I was thrilled with myself... then Wrench jumps in front of me 4 seperate times, he couldn't hold a line at all zig zagging across the track so I couldn't jump in fear of landing on him. Soon as I passed him he'd cut the track and be in front of me again. He held me up and I lost sight of the riders I had caught up to. Which was a dissappointment after the ride I put in to get there. His antics may have been fun and funny to him, but not to me.

However, I had a ton of fun in the Women's race battling with Nikki, well until I crashed. :( Can't wait until DW '03 to redeem myself.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You made an impressive effort, Jenny. Looking forward to see you race next year!

B

biglou

Hey, I did managed to pull a 2nd place spot in our smack-down race. And I only cut the course that one time. :debil: Of course, I prolly shouldn't have stopped for that donut...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by BigLou
Of course, I prolly shouldn't have stopped for that donut...

... and risk going into a hypoglycemic coma? For everyone's safety you did the right thing Lou. :thumb:

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
Here's a heads up on the Jr. kids mx race. My son Garrett Noble was not the winner of that race. There were apparently two #14's. If anyone knows who the actual winner was please PM Pokie so that kid can get the credit he deserves. However, Garrett was the winner in the kids poker run as listed.

OK, I can't believe I finished 10th in the C class. After stalling in the gates and then doing a flying W get off on the up hill rythm section in the first moto, I thought I'd blown it for sure. :ugg:
Oldguy mentioned before the race that it was his first race in thirty years, I was thinking this is my first in 49 years! I was definitely over pumped. I had settled down by the second moto, and really enjoyed that race and distinctly remember Big Lou slipping past me at the little double after the big berm turn. I was able to ride with him, but couldn't get a pass.

I've got some pics and videos that I'll post soon. It's taken me nearly a week to catch up at home and at work since DW. This is my first post since getting back!

My thanks to all who organized and attended, it was a blast! :thumb:

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
CCRider: did your son participate in the Kids MX race?
thanks for the heads up

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Ya see blackhawk468, you are taking the races too seriously. You had fun in the ladies class no? I'm sorry you dropped it, but girl, it was fun to watch you all mix it up. Did someone come and put a finger in your face yelling "I beat you!". No. Did the results hurt your local point standings? No. Did anyone like you less cause you didn't cross the finish line first? No.

THESE RACES ARE FOR FUN. Damn I wish people would understand that. It doesn't matter where, how or whatever... the idea is to LAUGH. Keep the competitive crap for the local races. DW isn't about that.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've gotta come clean...

After the first half of a lap PK was leading decisively, so I stopped him on a back tabletop and asked him to sign my chest. He was somewhat confused but figured it out when Big Lou went sreaming by!

He finally caught back up to him, but stalled it on the second lap. He caught back up to him again and passed him early in the 3rd lap so I directed Big Lou around the rythm section and he got back in front!

Big Lou is too big a man to take the win that way so when Eric Fergasun (one of my best riding buddies for 10 years) offered him a donut just before the finish line, he took it and finished right behind PK.

Both of those guys (BL and PK) embody everything that is right about dirtriders in general. They are both fun loving guys who don't take themselves too seriously and care more about their friends than themselves.

There's an ever-growing list of people I'm proud to call friends and PapaKeith and BigLou are right up there near the top!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by Okie :
"THESE RACES ARE FOR FUN. Damn I wish people would understand that. It doesn't matter where, how or whatever... the idea is to LAUGH."

Well mebbe i shouldve tryed out the "C" class then.
Although the image of 20 other dirtbikers flying off of their bikes from the shockwave of me and Flash landing one of those jumps might not have been very funny.......... :eek: :confused: ;)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I hope someone offers me a donut just before the finish line next year, or better yet...one of those delicious snowcones from Jack & Diane's

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I still think that Wrench's actions were unappropriate.

I do however, understand the concept of DW's races, for fun. I'm sure a few of us got caught up in the excitment. I did have fun in all my races and especially the women's I loved how everyone on the track was cheering for us as we rode by. I've never had anyone cheer for me much less EVERYONE on the sidelines!!!! DW races were actually a relief for me because placings didn't matter, and there was no pressure just a bunch of people cheering for some good action. It's too bad I took myself out, I look forward to next year.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks Gomer. The feeling is mutual. I just wish that I had taken a spin on the 450.

Even though it is all for fun, there is a competative edge in there somewhat. I was muttering a few unkind words when Lou bypassed the rythm section. Of course a half lap later I was more worried about getting my tounge caught in my chain than our antics. Yes, even though I stopped for Gomer, and Lou stopped for a donut, I still wanted to win. :) But, not at the expense of injury. If that were the case, I would have parked Lou in the corner before the stepup in stead of stalling yet again. :silly: We rode hard (for us) and I had a good time doing it. . . I think Lou did too.
I'm gunning for Elk next year! ;)
I can see where Blackhawk is coming from from a safety point of view. I wouldn't want to jump not knowing if someone was going to possibly pull onto the track in front of me. It also kinda takes the wind out of your sails to have to pass the same rider you just passed.
I know I'm rambling. I guess to sum it up.
Is it all for fun? Big 'ol yes! :)
Is there a bit of a competative undercurrent? smaller, but still definite yes.
Can the two be seperated? :think: dunno. But I think for the most part, everyone played nice on the track and trail from what I could see. *shruggs*

BTW BigLou's big flaw was not having a donut before the gate dropped. By the time he was having his, mine was in my bloodstream !

B

biglou

If I remember correctly, the last thing I said to Keith before the gate dropped was, "Be safe.", and we shook hands. :cool: After that, the craziness began!

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
Since we didn't expect Mike to be so competitive in the A class, we would gladly drop his entry in the B moto. But, since we didn't stick around for the awards (not our reason for being there) we don't have any plaques anyway. I was told BSWIFT had it (the reference was singular) so I'm not sure what to do at this point. As soon as I can talk to Brian (he raced at Ascot last night) we'll figure something out.
Understand that we weren't there poaching trophies. We didn't even realize he had a top 3 finish in any class. Hell, we left! We went to DW to have fun, and racing MX from daylight till dark is what my kid does for fun.
Hopefully, we can sort this out to everyones liking. To be sure, we'll be back next year and although my son will race everything he can enter, we'll only score him in the A. Ride safe.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by Okie
THESE RACES ARE FOR FUN. Damn I wish people would understand that. It doesn't matter where, how or whatever... the idea is to LAUGH. Keep the competitive crap for the local races. DW isn't about that.

I agree totally and it was nice to be sitting on a starting line not worrying one bit about what position I finished. I only entered the Team HS with Elk, couldn't get anything going the first loop, like a pinball machine though the trees. I basically had to stop and laugh at myself and let a couple of people by and take off again. I know Elk didn't take it too seriously either. When we would tag up, we would talk for a second, high-five, laugh and then take off for our respective loops.

The highlight of the HS for me was when my partner came in to tag and trying to see if he had as big a smile on his face as I had on mine :yeehaw: Just hoping he and everyone else was having as much fun as me. If I had rode like I did the first two loops in any sanctioned event, I would have been throwing helmets and whatever else I could find.

This was a perfect ride though, laugh goof-off. Some may have bragging right on finishing first..... but I don't think anyone finished better than Elk and I. :thumb: :thumb: IT WAS JUST PLAIN FUN! :aj:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by motohead00
IT WAS JUST PLAIN FUN! :aj:

Yeehaw - Twas a total blast all week wasn't it Randy. I think Randy, Bundy, Tony, Tim and I had as much fun working on trails as we did doing anything else. I still don't know why Bundy was running around with a hatchet in the trees - his "Other method" of clearing trees seemed so much more effective :yeehaw:

Motodawg, glad to hear it buddy. I think for a lot of people they honestly don't know which DirtWeek class to ride in. Giving up his finishing spot will bring a smile to someone elses face (possibly someone who may not have a chance for an award anywhere other than Dirtweek) and I am proud of you and your son. I hope my post didn't cause any long term hard feelings.

Randy, before the start of the Bikes with Lights class we were all joking about resets, gas stops, etc so much that I never even put my bike into gear (just plain forgot) until after everyone else was gone :) DOH!

Top Bottom