MODR

Nov 13, 2001
Just bought my first Husky (02 CR250). I'm going to convert it to a woods bike. Steahly doesn't make a flywheel weight for it, anybody know where I can get one or get mine modified. Thanks

Taliesin

May 11, 2000
Why buy the CR instead of the woods ready WR250?
The WR already has a heavier flywheel but will mean a new ignition system if you wanted to fit it to the CR.The CR runs an internal rotor where as the WR has larger heavier external type.

MODR

Nov 13, 2001
I figured that would be the first question. A couple of reasons the first is my dealer had only gotten in the CR's and I had a big ride over the Thanksgiving weekend I didn't want to miss. Second I've been taking 250 mxers for a long time and putting a flywheel on them and adjusting the suspension and doing well in the woods with them and still taking them to the moto cross track. I didn't figure it would be any problem to get the flywheel. I have a riding buddy who says he has machined them before and should be able to make one for this bike. I just threw this post out to see if anyone knew a supplier that would make it easier. Thanks for the infor on the CR vs. WR rotor that was another option I was considering until now.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
MODR,
I had a 00' WR250 and sent my flywheel to ALOOP to get some weight added to it. They installed an 8 oz. weight to it without having to have a spacer. You probably have more room under the your cover than mine for more weight with your digital ignition system.

MODR

Nov 13, 2001
RBW,
I put about 10 hours on the bike last weekend at Chadwick Mo. (lots of rocks). I like it so far. As far as comparing it to other MX ers I've had here are a couple of things I've noticed. The footpeg to seat height distance seems short to me but that should be a pretty easy fix. The brakes are strong but not real progressive. It makes alot of power down low but doesn't like to rev. The forks were suprisingly good for a MX er in the rocks. The shock seemed to pack up quite a bit, I think a big part of this was due to all of the wheel spin I was getting, I'm hoping the flywheel weight will help in that area some. Bottom line I was impressed considering it was a bone stock MX er in those conditions.

KDXfile, Thanks for the info on ALOOP, I'll give them a call.

HiG4s-I asked the Steahly guy if he had them for the older Husky's and he said no. I was thinking the same thing as you, as far as I know the 01 and 02 are the same. I bought the bike from Summit Cycles they are good people.

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
A spendy option may be to go with an E-line lighting coil, it provides not only lighting, but a similar weighting effect, not big, but some.

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
You might want to check with your dealer about a CR to WR converison kit available from Husky. I live in western pa where woods riding is very popular. As a result the local Husky dealer sells out of WR's very quickly. He can easily obtain more CR's but not more WR's so he offers to convert the CR's to WR's using a conversion kit available from Husky. The price is very reasonable. I think he provides it free if you buy a new bike otherwise I think that he said the kit cost is only $100 from Husky. I know that it includes an 18" real wheel and I think that it includes a lighting coil and lights. Obviously it's not a true conversion since the sunspension and tranny aren't touched and the gas tank is still small, but it does approximate one. The lighting coil may satisy your desire for a more heavily weighted flywheel.

If your dealer is in the dark on this, either he or you should contact Schulz Cycle in Bridgeville Pa. The number is 412-257-3188 the owners name is Daryl.

Good Luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom