Has any adult rode the little 50's? MIni MX

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Whats it like. I want to set up a mini mx track at my farm. How fast are these little minis? Are they fun?

Anyone race them? All input is appreciated?

Is one 50 better than another. Are the xr70's adult ridable in the mini class?

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Minis are a blast! I have more fun on my Z50 than I do on the big bikes. The XR50 is the way to go for a mini/playbike/MXer. There are lots of parts and pieces available that make it more comfy for big people. I bought an aluminum triple clamp for my Z50 pitbike and installed a hi-rise pair of BMX bars. It's almost roomy now.

Try a search on:
SoCal XRs
Fast50s
BBR Motorsports

Of course, BBR makes the most (and coolest) XR50 bits. :cool:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The Z50 looks like this:

Attachments

• z50 redux3.jpg
    z50 redux3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 278

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The XR50 has bigger, spoked wheels, better suspension, and better looks. There are some other mechanical diffences, but mostly it's about the suspension/wheels.

The XR50 looks like this:

Attachments

• xr502.jpg
    xr502.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 270

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Great Pic's JP!

I want a Trail 70/90 for my pit bike eventually......Time and income will denote what I have.......:-(

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I don't think any of the zoomy parts can be used on a 70. It's a great playbike as is though.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Kinda pretty too. All the chrome. I don't think I'll be putting tassles on the bars though! LOL

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Oppps,
Sorry JP, thought you where talking about the TRAIL bikes.......Ouch! Really hurts stepping on yourself!

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The CT70 is the one you're talking about. There was also an ST90 that looks like the 70, but with spoked wheels.

I just bought one of the pimped out early ('71, I think) Z50 Minitrails. It's got all the chrome, and lights to boot. It's gonna be a loooong expensive restoration. :ugg:

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
there are a lot more performance parts for the xr50 compared to the xr70. The 70 is decent thought. Get the xr50 and drop a 90 kit in it. add the rear shock and front inverted shocks and then your talking.
Jason

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Umm, can you define the term adult? Are we talking a measure of size of maturity? :confused:

Griz, if you keep posting farm details, I may move in!

DirtRyder02

Mod Ban
Jul 18, 2002
as he said xr50's are the best one to get, more after market parts, suspention, ect.!! ive rode one, and they are very fun.

btw- with all the hp parts on a xr50 it will probly go like 35-40mph!!

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
I ride Josh's xr70 all the time it's a blast. At times he goes tell his mother that I won't share a let him have a turn. I tell her I am just teaching him patience.
I don't think she buys it. We are getting Josh a new bike(2 smoke) in Dec. and I am going to keep the 70 for a play bike. I am a big guy so I plan to beef up the suspension,but they are a blast.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
There's a ton of stuff out there for them. Check out BBR's adjustable shock, aluminum frame, disc brake, big bore 50 they built for Travis Pastrana. They make a kit to put XR 70 (longer, heavier springs) forks on the 50, and tall handlebars (usually the bars are the first step) as well as other stuff. Don't look for the cheapest price on bars--make sure they come with all the stuff. It doesn't take much to machine a tripleclamp and buy BMX bars but then you need longer cables and wiring, and not all the kits come with that.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by firecracker22
Check out BBR's adjustable shock, aluminum frame, disc brake, big bore 50 they built for Travis Pastrana.

Is that the one BBR has in their front office?

Steve

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
My little brother got a KTM 50sx for his birthday and it is a blast, my dad, uncle, cousin, and I have more fun then my little bro does! That thing is as works as a mini gets and I'm sure can get up to 35. I've heard XR's are the way to go though, finding performance parts for them is supposedly much easier than finding them for any other Mini's. It took us 3 weeks to find all of the parts we needed for the KTM.
Andrew

Nov 11, 2001
I think a kx 65 would go good for a play bike there not as small but are faster and have way more power......or a KTM 50sx would also be a good play bike.

Top Bottom