tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
I know I keep asking for more !
But if you are in these counties we need representation!!!
Call either Dick Ranney or my self if there are questions or info you need.

Thomas Dunn
AMA District 14
Assist Legislative Director
517-896-9757

COUNTY HEARING SCHEDULE ON PA 240

8-29-08

Michigan Motorized Recreation Council

For Immediate release and posting:

9-08-08 Missaukee

9-10-08 Roscommon

9-11-08 Ogemaw

9-26-08 ? Luce

10-21-08 Wexford

10-22-08 Schoolcraft

Check with local county offices on exact date, meeting time and location. For address of county offices, visit Michigan Association of Counties website for detailed information of contacts.

If you reside, own property or recreate in any of the above counties and wish to have the county roads open to ORV use, you need to be involved. You can do so by attending the hearing, e-mailing county offices or sending a personal letter of support.

Many counties are having discussions and have yet to send “letters of intent”. As we become informed, we will update our list.

Rose City was the first municipality to adopt PA 240 and is hosting a parade on October 4th, 9:00 am celebrating the CCC/Bent Wheels Fall Color Tour. This event usually draws near 500 entrants over two days.

For additions or corrections, please contact Dick Ranney, Coordinator of MMRC @ 989 469-2405 or e-mail; dranney1@charter.net

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
tdunn976 said:
If you reside, own property or recreate in any of the above counties and wish to have the county roads open to ORV use, you need to be involved. You can do so by attending the hearing, e-mailing county offices or sending a personal letter of support.

We live in Cheboygan county and while I am not opposed at all to opening roads to ORV’s, it is annoying that some riders abuse the privilege. Every holiday weekend we have riders going up and down the dirt road we live on and some are respectful and ride slowly, and others go just as fast as they possibly can. Sadly, the bike riders are the worst offenders and the loud pipes are an added annoyance. I can only imagine how our non riding neighbors feel. This is going to be an ongoing problem and it would be nice to see some kind of signage reminding riders about the speed they should be traveling.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
The Cadillac New reported that the Missaukee County Board will hold a public hearing on proposed the Orv ordinance 7p.m. Wed. in the Missaukee County Courthouse.

Missaukee County Clerk Carolyn Flore said that if the proposed language of the ordinance is acceptable another public hearing will likely not be held. The board could possably adopt the ordinance at its Oct. 14 meeting.

Sheriff Bosscher was in favor. He also noted the sheriffs department is in the process of writing a grant which would pay for training the public regarding the changes in ORV use.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Adoption on October 14th......just in time for Trailfest on October 25th!!!!

I was talking to a Missaukee county commissioner this weekend and he was in favor of the ordinance.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
This was in the Manistee paper a few weeks back

ORV_opinion_8-23-08_MSP_Manistee1.jpg

cmore

Jan 23, 2003
Muddy buddy, It might sound corny but maybe put some sign out front of your place kinda like the sign outfront in front of grayling area for enjoy the MCCCT, I plan on getting my ugly mug in front of this sign yet. but a simple sign might bring. some simple minds to lite :nod:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Tom - FYI - I still have not gotten a response from my email to Montmorency County Comissioners. I will let you know when/if I do. I will also do all I can to attend any public hearings here if I am in town and available when they are scheduled

Muddy Buddy FWIW - I share the same concerns you voiced - this area has tons of "abusers". I sure hope the local law enforcement does to a good bit of public education AND backs it up with a firm stance on violators. In addition to that, a couple of my other concerns locally are 1) when the ORVs will be simply be used as back and forth transport - nothing to do with access to/from trails or trail riding, but simply people using them instead of a car to drive over to a buddies house etc., entirely on road shoulders (which is common place around here already) - to me that was not the intent. and 2) the "wide body" ORVs (Rhino's etc) are as we all know WIDE - not like they can easily squeeze onto a narrow road shoulder - result is they take up a big chunk of the car's lane. I see this as a much bigger risk than bikes and normal sized quads. Locally I have seen Rhino type vehicles simply drive down the road like they thought they were a car - in the center of the lane, oblivious to cars stacked up behind them, and unable to pass because the damn Rhino wont or cant move over any further!

In spite of those concerns, I still feel it is progress - BIG progress - and it opens up a bunch of new, good opportunities. I suspect over time, some bugs will be worked out of the ordinances.

Oh YZman - I find that state troopers use of statistics interesting...and self serving! He cites increases in GROSS #s, associates those with ORVs, never addresses accident RATES (per thousand etc.). Figures dont lie, but liers can figure! He should run for President perhaps!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
KTM Mike said:
Oh YZman - I find that state troopers use of statistics interesting...and self serving! He cites increases in GROSS #s, associates those with ORVs, never addresses accident RATES (per thousand etc.). Figures dont lie, but liers can figure! He should run for President perhaps!

Yep thats exactly what I thought also. Im pretty sure there has already been a few letters to the editor wrote in retaliation to that article.

Top Bottom