JB

Mar 23, 2000
can someone inform me of the best way to install a brake line using honda's route on a 02 yz? should i use the stock clamp and relocate it? how should it be attached? best way to bleed line?
thanks

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
The "best" way might be to buy the carbon fiber fork guards from DSP, but I have had good luck with bolting the stock clamp to the stock fork guards.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I did both. I wasn't happy with the security and location of the stock clamp mounted on the fork guard. It probably would've been fine, but after spending $60 on a new brake line, I didn't relish the thought of being wrong and having that brake line come loose and destroyed by the wheel. I went ahead and bought the DSP brake line mount. It works perfect and for only another $20, I at least have some peace of mind concerning the security of the brake line.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
hey i was wondering since we are on the toppic..When it is time for a new front brake line what is the "best" company for them..I am not looking for a "Honda style" brake line just a steel braided line..Does fastline make a regular brake line that is the same route as stock?

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
Fastline makes great stainless brake lines. I'm currently running one of the CR style ones on my 02' YZ125 and would'nt go back to stock if you paid me. Maybe it is because I used to ride CR's and I just like that positive feel. To answer your question.... Fastline makes a blue or black [depending on inventory], front, STOCK ROUTING cable as well if that is what you prefer - the part # is 24-691X for (98-02) YZ125/250, (01-02) YZ250F, (99) YZ400F, & (00-02) YZ426F. If you want the CR style - part #24-760X for the previous mentioned bikes. They also make a rear brake line if needed. Hope this helps. ;)

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Mx145 you helped a lot thx..But again if i wanted the cr-route does DSP make the mounting bracket for stock lower fork guards or do you have to buy thier fork guards..? I dont want to spend 100$ on new fork guards..Also if they do how do you install it? thxx

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Marc,
Your brake line should last the life of the bike. If you encounter any degradation then go ahead and replace it. As far as the cr style front line, the more direct or least amount of material to flex under braking conditions the better. If I had to replace mine that’s the way I would go, but I don’t.
Good luck,
Dave

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
They make the clamp that rivets on to your stock fork guard. It is about $20 and you use the two piece clamp from the bottom of your fork to hold the line. You cut off both of the plastic brakeline holders at the top of the fork guard and simply rivet the DSP piece in place.

Click on my avtar to go to my picture page to see the mounting.

moto bird

Feb 25, 2002
forget the dsp thing. who has a rivet gun anyway? go to www.ride-engineering.com. for $95 bucks you get a sano stainless steel ine and a bitchen little clamp that install in two minutes by drilling 2 small holes in your stock fork guards.

i installed the whole thing in less than a half hour ( yah i got a vacuum pump) and it works way better than stock!

good luck

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Do you mean this???
yz_brakeline.jpg

YAMAHA
SS "SHORTY" BRAKELINE
PN: BL-00012-CL
$62.95
and this?
sm_brake_clamp.jpg

YAMAHA/SUZUKI/KAWASAKI
BRAKELINE CLAMP
PN: MX-BLC00-BA
$31.95

Looks nice!!!!

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
who has a rivet gun anyway

Doesn't everyone? Good excuse to get one. :)

You can get a pop-rivet set for a little as $7 at Harbor Freight or check Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Pop Rivet Link

That clamp from Ride appears to just be the stock clamp from below. I like it, but I don't see what you are paying $30 for. Seems you could drill a couple of holes and put a couple of carriage bolts through the guard.

Last edited:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
You have to cut off both of the stock molded plastic tabs that hold the original brake line. Then you put the DSP piece where you want it, mark the five holes, and drill them. Then you pop the five rivets that are included through both pieces. Really very simple.

Having a pop rivet gun comes in handy. I can't even tell you the number of other places I've used it. It is very handy when you don't have access to both sides of the pieces you are fastening, meaning you have no way to put a nut on a bolt. That's what they mean by blind rivets.

moto bird

Feb 25, 2002
The Ride clamp is all machined. the back of it is flat so its sits perfectly on the fork guard.

I've heard of people braking off the DSP one.

for an extra $10 i think its more than worth it.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
OK, from your other post I see that it is a bit different. I need to find out what fork guards and guides they are using on the KX. The stock setup doesn't lend itself to either the DSP or Ride clamp. My wifes KX125 brakes are marginal, bleeding brakes seems to be a weekly chore.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
alright so if i get the DSP clamp this is what i need to do?

1) Take off the cable guides on my lower fork guards..
2) get a rivet gun
3) put the DSP clamp in and drill the holes.
4) then use the rivet gun to pop rivet the rivets in?

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
You got it. For the YZ, I still like the DSP solution best.

I did order the Ride setup for my wife's KX though. It appears to me that it will work better on the flimsy KX fork guards.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Finally installed the Ride Engineering clamp on the KX. I'm happy with both setups. I still think the DSP is a slicker, more professional looking setup on the YZ, and it would probably be just as slick on the KX. Since it appears DSP has raised their price to match the price of the Ride kit, price isn't a factor. Both clamps were easy to install, but you will need a pop rivet gun for the DSP setup.

Mounting either kit to a YZ is a snap because of the way the fork guards work. On the KX you will need to modify the guide on the left fork leg. I chose to mimic the fork protector guide from a '90 KX. Ride recommends turning the guide around backwards. Check out the pictures (click on my avtar)

Last edited:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by marcv125
Do you mean this???
yz_brakeline.jpg

YAMAHA
SS "SHORTY" BRAKELINE
PN: BL-00012-CL
$62.95
and this?