Honda CR80 rider weight limit (2 stroke)

chrisct

May 22, 2006
Honda CR80 weight limit (and dual sport capability)

Anyone know what an older 2-stroke CR80 rider weight limit is? I found one cheap and want to buy it for my son, but I want to make sure he's not too heavy.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hustle

Apr 23, 2006
Give us an estimate of his weight so we can tell you if the asnwer is oviouse or not.

Most mini dirt bikes have a max load of 110kg but it all depends on the quality of the bike.

chrisct

May 22, 2006
Sorry...he's about 130lbs (and growing daily!)

(110kg is about 242lbs! will this thing really carry me without problems/damage? I'm 185lbs before breakfast!)

chrisct

May 22, 2006
Cool...I'm going to get it for $200.

Another (silly) question: once my son has grown out of it, is this a bike I could make street legal for my 3/4 mile morning run to the train station? If so, is it just as simple as adding blinkers and a plate holder?

TIA.

chrisct

May 22, 2006
chrisct said:
Cool...I'm going to get it for $200.

Another (silly) question: once my son has grown out of it, is this a bike I could make street legal for my 3/4 mile morning run to the train station? If so, is it just as simple as adding blinkers and a plate holder?

TIA.

Looked up CT rules on definition of "motorcycle":

CT DMV said:
Definition - Motorcycle
According to Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-1(46):
"Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, with or without a sidecar, having not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and a saddle or seat on which the rider sits or a platform on which the rider stands and includes bicycles having a motor attached, except bicycles propelled by means of a helper motor as defined in Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-286, but does not include a vehicle having a completely or partially enclosed driver's seat and a motor which is not in the enclosed area.

Handle Bars
Handle bars must be no more than 15 inches from the seat when the seat is depressed.

Odometer/speedometer
Required.

Drive chain
A chain-guard is required.

Registration
Motorcycles are required to display one number plate at the rear.

Headlight
Each motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one, but not more than two, headlamps. Either the single or multi-beam type light shall be permissible.

Tail light/stop light
At least one red tail-lamp and one stop light are required. The rear number plate must be illuminated with a white light.

Brakes
Each motorcycle and motorcycle with sidecar shall be provided with at least one brake. Motorcycles designated as 1974 or later models shall be equipped with brakes on the front and rear wheels, excluding wheel(s) of a sidecar.

Original Vehicle Identification Number
This must be cleaned so that it can be checked by the Inspector. A new Connecticut identification number may be assigned if appropriate.

Now the only question is: who makes a dual sport kit for the CR80?

Sep 2, 2005
For a full out Moto Meaning your racing i would say max weight is a 135 pounds. Now as a play bike riding in a big lot or playing in the dirt but not over running it to long i would say 180 pounds max. My wife rides a 01 CR80 and it pulls me just fine until i hit suger sand then it begs

Top Bottom