Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Hello,

My name is Jason. I live in Dallas. I'm 30, and have a son who is 6. I recently bought a street bike, and am now planning to buy a dirt bike soon. I also plan to buy one for my son after I teach him to ride a bicycle. I have not ridden since I was a teenager, and am extremely excited to get back into it.

I mainly just wanted to say hello and get to know some people. Tony Eeds directed me to this section based on a thread in the "What bike do I get..." section.

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Welcome aboard! If you decide you want a YZ250F, I have a SUPER clean one with low hours in your area. Come over and take a look if you like.

Other than that make yourself at home and I hope we see you at the track soon!

BTW start making plans now for the SX in April and DW04 in September, good times, good people.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
It's been years since I've been to the supercross. My son would love that!

I've looked at the ads for Dirtweek. I'm thinking I'll be saving my vacation for that if all goes well with this renewed venture.

I was thinking I should get a 125, but I'm willing to look at a 250.

*EDIT* I just realized you meant a 4 stroke 250. My budget is kinda low for now, but I'm still curious.

Email me with details please: jason@crashbox.org

Jason

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jason:

Thump's bike (really Sarah's) is a real nice bike. Well maintained and always kept in a very clean and warm garage.

Regarding the SX ... Ya gotta come. It is too much fun to hang out in the parking lot tailgating with a bunch of DRNer's and then watching the pros fly. Be sure to bring your son. Ther will likely be a few small fry.

Regarding DW. Come on, Camp Tejas has a bunch of room. All you really need is a sleeping bag, small tent and/or cot and a desire to have fun. A motorcycle is even optional as there are always a bunch around.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Tony,

That 250 is a nice looking bike. I wish we could help each other but it's a bit out of my budget, and has 2 extra strokes to it. ;)

I'd like to join for the SX. It looks like I have my son that weekend, so I just need some details on ticketing. Do I need to buy them myself from them directly, or do I need to pay someone so they can be purchased all together?

DW sounds like a great time. I've already put it on my calendar and am thinking of taking that week for one of my vacation weeks this year. I'm not sure how I would accomodate my son if I were to enter any races for fun. My father offered to let him stay with them if I decide to go. I should have sufficient funds for a bike and safety gear by mid-March so that won't be an issue. I'd very likely just pitch a tent for the week. It's been a while since I've been camping but I remember it with fond feelings. I'll need to get some more gear for that as well.

All in all I'm very excited about all this! I'm really glad I found DRN, and I'm looking forward to meeting you and the others. Thanks for being so informative and supportive! :thumb:

Just let me know what I need to do about the SX.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Thanks for pointing that out. It's been a hectic week and I've not been here much since I signed up.

I put my name down for 2 tickets please :thumb:

Jason

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jason:

As long as your son likes being around new people there is no problem with bringing him to the SX or DW. You will not find a bunch of folks more willing to help out in than the group here at DRN.

Regarding DW, think of it as a giant family reunion. There is always something cooking somewhere and kids running around between groups of adults having a great time. The camping area is a 1/4 of a mile from the nearest road, so most parents let their children have the run of the place. In many ways, the camping area reminds me of the neighborhood I grew up in back in the 50's.

T

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The neighborhood where everyone watched out for everyones kids. Not just that, they'll step up and set things staight even if it is not their kid! ;) Best part of it all is the fun. Nothing quite like smelling bacon and eggs, coffee, and two stroke exhaust at 6:30 in the morning. :laugh:

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Thanks for telling me more about the environment at DW. It sounds like a great invironment for all involved.

My son is definately coming to the SX with me. In fact I'm only really going because I want to take him to it. He enjoys watching MX on TV, especially the Freestyle MX, so I'm hoping that a live race will be very exciting for him.

Regarding DW... it looks like that falls on a week that he's in school already. He currently attends our family church private school. I doubt I'll be bringing him if I attend, as I don't want to interfere with school. I'll wait and see when it gets closer to the date and I know better the school dates. DW is on my calendar though, and I an considering going if I'm ready.

My concern was that I don't let my son just roam free. We live in an apartment (Until Feb when we are moving!!), and I don't think too much of our neighbors. There has been a few violent incidents while we have lived here. As a result we've not gotten to the point where I'm comfortable with him being out of my hearing range. I'm probably being a little overly protective, but that's our situation for now.

I put us down for 2 tickets on the SX thread.

Jason

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Grissom29
.... DW is on my calendar though, and I an considering going if I'm ready....
Jason

Don't worry about being ready, they have a Wal-Mart. :laugh:

Seriously, all you really need is a sleeping bag, folding chair and a toothbrush. Camp Tejas is a 20x40 awning and next year I am bringing my 20x20 as well for the bikes. I sleep on a cot under the tarp. Txbigguy handles most of the cooking and we clean up after him. He brings a big honking grill and plays Emile (or what ever his name is) and he is darn good at it. We all pitch in some $$ towards the food and from there it happens.
A bike isn't even totally necessary as there are always a few around. One member of Camp Tejas hardly ever rides because he is busy fooling around with the hot water for the showers. :laugh:

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
Tony,

DW really does sound great. Even better every time you tell me more about it in fact. I'm still surprised by the sense of family you guys seem to have. It helps making the decision to get back into this much easier knowing that their is a group of people ready to be supportive and "take you in".

What I meant by "ready" was mainly a bike. I hear what your saying though. I just know I'd be hatin' life if I went without the ability to ride also. That shouldn't be a problem though, I should be able to buy something long before then. My current estimations are that I'll have plenty for a decent bike after I add my IRS to the pile around March (I've already done mine, just need the W2 to verify it and mail it.)

As far as camping goes, I'd already planned to pick up some assorted camping items. It's been along time but I enjoyed camping as a kid. I am hoping that my son will also. I figured I'd have to get a tent, some bedding items, coolers, cooking stuff, etc... I like that you guys have these issues planned out. It should make things smoother for everyone.

I'm really getting excited about all of this. :yeehaw:

Thanks again for the support and advice Tony, I really do appreciate it.

Jason

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Grissom29
Thanks again for the support and advice Tony, I really do appreciate it.

Jason

Glad to help out anytime! :thumb: BTW - There will be plenty of bikes to ride there. I will have two, maybe three with me.

Top Bottom