KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
The trans oil (JASCO) is turning black after a few rides. The air filter is clean. Thus, I was thinking maybe it is the clutch plates that is causing this to occur. The bike is a 1996 Suzuki RMX250 with low mileage and with the OEM clutch parts. The clutch works when shifting the bike into gear either stoped or moving. However, if the engine signs off going down a hill, pulling in the clutch will not get the rear wheel rolling. I appreciated your responses that will help me with this concern. Thanks

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I've never had a bike that would start right up after stalling on a down hill. I would always have to pull the clutch in, bounce off the seat, and let the clutch out as soon as my butt hit the seat.

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
Most likely you have aluminum drive plates; those will contaminate your oil quickly. If you were to install steel plates then your oil will look "cleaner". I would say it is time for a new clutch any way, your bike is old.

Mark

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Smell it!

Some oils have more of a odor than others, clutch oil has a very distinct odor that never, never goes away! The first place I notice a clutch fading is on top end pull, its like slipping!! Measure your fiber plates and if the metals are alum then throw them in the recycler! Steels perform alot better! Check your pressure hubs and springs, good to go .

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
The oil is a dark gray color. Do you think the EBC, Barnett, or OEM would be the way to go for replacing the clutch? As a note for clarification if the bike stalls going down hill pulling in the clutch does not work and I cannot bump start the bike. Have to stop and shift the bike into neutral to start it.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Got me there

Not holding throttle WFO on downgrades? If you are pulling in your clutch lever and engine is not disengaging,then I'd check to see if the inner pressure is coming off! The other thing that I can think of is the springs are bound , sometimes people put sparkplug washers in there. I usually run Honda fibers, I don't think any others are close. I've heard people retro fitting them in other makes. If the metal plates are warped ,then there's your problem. I've had some that are blue and still be flat, sometimes, where its warped it measures thinner.

Top Bottom