Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I burned check #1 by 2 seconds, and went from 2nd to 3rd! :rotfl: I too need to invest in proper timekeeping. Usually it's just run half-fast and try not to hour out. This one was different. It was my first weekend ride of the season, so it was a great way to start out. … But I must thank Tanya, Ian, and Hannah for running gas and food for me. I couldn't have trophied without ya! ;)

Also a big thanks to F&S, Tom Dunn, LMC, check workers, and all the other volunteers who made these events happen. The Spring Pine Cone was a lot of fun, and the speed change for the second loop was a nice way to mix it up.

I missed Fatherandson's wheelie at the start, but heard all the gritty details. Sounded like the classic wheelie-into-a-stoppie move, unlike the wheelie-fender-plow style of cousin Tom. There's a great video of Jack Penton wheeling the start of another type of enduro, the '73 ISDE. Bikes were smaller back then.... but then again so were the riders! Regardless, he then goes on to hi-point his class! (That'd be the 'B' class, just to clarify.)

As far as throwing out checks, putting them back in, recalculating scores, etc, I heard they were originally thrown out because some riders complained about the arrowing. Now I don't know what the rules are, but what percentage of riders must complain about arrowing before a check is thrown out? If 25 riders out of 150 missed a few arrows and got turned around, then I'd think that's part of the game. Need to pay better attention is my take on it. Now if 75 out of 150 riders complained about the arrowing, then that sounds like a legitimate reason to throw out a check. FWIW, I thought the arrowing was great, and I have missed them on other enduros got temporarily off track.

Quote of the Day
So I says to Young Ted after the Pine Cone run... "Damn did it feel good to ride again!"... to which he replied.... "Gee... I don't think I ever stopped..." Ain't it the truth brother... :)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Smitty
Thats because I got Teddy to ride the snow this winter for the first time with me and he liked it , well mostly! . And I'l probably have him out there in it again next season. I plan on getting started on my 2006 season return in the winter and give the "SS" class a run nest year.
freddy

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Smit-Dog said:
As far as throwing out checks, putting them back in, recalculating scores, etc, I heard they were originally thrown out because some riders complained about the arrowing. Now I don't know what the rules are, but what percentage of riders must complain about arrowing before a check is thrown out? If 25 riders out of 150 missed a few arrows and got turned around, then I'd think that's part of the game. Need to pay better attention is my take on it. Now if 75 out of 150 riders complained about the arrowing, then that sounds like a legitimate reason to throw out a check. FWIW, I thought the arrowing was great, and I have missed them on other enduros got temporarily off track.
Smit-Dog, I was one of the riders that complained about the arrowing. Specifically, towards the end of the "B Loop," the arrowing was non-existant. I didn't have so much trouble with it (can't lose the trail!), but I WAS perplexed by the fact that the road crossing wasn't marked. Every road crossing on the course WAS marked (except that one); couple that with the fact that there wasn't an arrow for the last 2 miles or so, I was concerned I missed a turn somewhere! I actually turned around and rode backwards (along side of the trail) for a bit until I saw another rider and figured at least two of us are lost.... The check out was about 1/2 mile past where I turned around, and I ended up dropping a solid minute (almost two).
I believe the enduro rules state that the trail is supposed to have markers every 1/10 mile, and road crossings are to be marked (haven't checked the book yet, though). I don't think there's any rule that states if certain number of riders complain, then throw the check out. That seems a little too ambiguous.
Otherwise, I found the enduro "challenging" from a time-keeping standpoint. It was good considering what they've got to work with.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I want to quote our chairman - Tom Dunn - as I do not want to argue with Magoo. In the past the rulebook did state that an arrow was required every .3 of a mile. This rule is no longer in the books. Smitdog nailed it as far as the complaints. The rulebook does require a majority of the riders to be impacted. As I understand it, only 12 riders got lost and did not get back on time. I got turned around also (along with 20 other guys in the early 20 numbers), but I was able to arrive at the known control early before the B loop.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Ya, I need to check to see what the rules state about all this, as I'll readily admit I'm pretty clueless. I checked the D-14 enduro rules link, but it's very brief. Where does one get a copy of the official rule book?

A route marker every 1/10th of a mile?!? So a 94 mile enduro would have roughly 900 markers!?!

I remember missing some arrows and getting turned around at my first enduro (Loose Moose). It was a wooded thicket that broke out into a clear-cut area, then back into the thicket somewhere. I rode around in circles a few times trying to find my way back into the thicket. I'm sure fatigue and exhaustion played a role.... Which I don't think was the case with the Arbor Day. And Zach and I missed an arrow near the end on his first enduro (summer Pine Cone) a few years ago. Turned a nice 43 mile loop into a long 68 mile ride for a little kid on a XR-70. We arrived back at staging on fumes and starving. Both times I chalked it up to my lack of experience.

And the comment about how many riders must protest before a check is thrown, what I meant to imply was what percentage of riders. If 90% of riders did not have a problem or file a protest, does it make sense to throw out a check based on only 10%?

Either way, it's all good for me as long as I'm riding and learning!

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Sorry guys, I'm not intending to argue. I know there's lots of inconsistencies when it comes to marking an enduro course -- what might be obvious to me, might be confusing to someone else.
I only brought up the rules because it has been stated that the rules were consulted.
AMA Rules here
I could not find anything about percentages of riders complaining for a check to get thrown out. There is a protest procedure -- and one rider with a successful protest can change an event outcome.
I did find something about course marking: Rule K.1.d. states (sic): The promoter is responsible for clearly and properly marking the course. Two markers shall be placed at each turn, and shall be identified by number or mileage to conform to the route sheet. At least one marker must be placed every half-mile on straight stretches. Danger markers must be posted far enough ahead of hazardous conditions to allow the fastest riders enough warning to stop.
Anyways, I'm not stressed about it. It's just a race; there's WAY more important things in my life than how I finished at Kasky. I was just throwing my thoughts and experience out there. I had fun, and I'll see you at the next enduro!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
The AMA rules come with the magazine in the early part of the year. Complaints alone do not throw out a check. If the mileage or clock are off, it becomes an observation check. If you miss the check for whatever reason, you have cut the course and are out - period. A check is official if more than half of the riders in contention at the previous check reached the check in question. From rule 4.b.(8). To remove a check and then put it back in is a lot of extra work.

Young Ted

Last edited:

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
Magoo didn't burn any checks, I DID, he just happen to be following a little to close. My mistake and it won't happen again Enduro Buddy . But if I had to blame anyone, it would be that fast guy ;) I would have been first. Instead I ended up 2nd from last which just happens to be third. :coocoo:

Top Bottom