whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Coop37 said:
5000.00 OTD ? That would be way under cost, you should by it for that! what was the number of that dealer.
Way under cost? no, they are still making $$$. I have a South Carolina address also so that eliminated the sales tax. (919) 772-7866, I've known and dealt with these guys about 4 years now, all good people.

hug747

May 14, 2001
If your local dealer has a good reputation for taking care of his customers and his price is only a few hundred dollars more; I think it would be smart to buy locally. If you want the best deal you have to be patient and lucky. Sometimes the leftovers go cheap.

speed3172

Jan 6, 2004
I just picked up my '05 YZ250 from Abernathy's in Union TN for 5099.00 OTD. They have a web site but of course I'm not allowed to post the link.

slowmo

Jun 28, 2001
Bought mine in October for $5600 OTD which included sales tax for approx. 4% I believe (thus, approx. $5385 pre-tax).

Purchased locally from Big #1 in Bham, AL.

sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
Coop37 said:
Take my word on this, anything under 5199.00 they are loosing money on.( u.s.a model 2005 yz250 )

Coop: Not true. Anyone getting the bike for less than about $5300 is a killer deal, but the dealer isn't losing money.

I don' t know about Yamaha sales programs but Suzuki (I did just buy an RM) offers monthly and yearly kickbacks per bike to the salesman and the dealership. So for many dealers it's worth their time to push the bikes out the door at a minimal up front profit to make the "backdoor" profit.

Plus if you make a customer happy at the time of the sale they are car more likely to come back and buy parts where the dealership can make nearly as much selling you a top end as they can selling a whole bike. Where again, certain mfgr's offer certain monthly/yearly kickbacks.

It's just like cars, there is the MSRP, the Invoice, and what the dealer REALLY pays, then there are kickbacks. No dealer is going to sell a bike and lose money.

Morgan

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I work in a dealership. The salesman spiff is just that. For the salesman, and is not considered part of the deal. Also salesman spiffs are not always there, most of the time there are none especially on the popular models. There is on occassion a very small hold back for the dealership itself. This isn't cr@p. It just covers some of the operating exspenses for the owner. On occassion there might be a manufacture rebate for the dealer so he can sell the unit at a lower price to you. This isn't cars, these are not $30,000 vehilces. They are dirtbikes with minimal mark-up. Another thing, there is nothing wrong with getting a fair deal and the dealership making some money so they can stay in business to further serve you when you need parts or accessories. Businesses are not in business to go out of business. Parts have a mark-up as well. It isn't free for the dealer to order those parts, pay for the shipping and have them sitting there waiting for you to break your bike and need one. So obviously he expects to make a profit off of it. That profit isn't exactly 'huge' either. The parts are exspensive to you because their exspensive to the dealer. Think about it; my bike has two radiators, one on each side. My 3/4 ton C-20 pick-up has one. For ONE radiator for my bike it'll cost almost $300, the one huge one for the truck is merely $150. Why the difference? Well, my bikes radiator only fits that one year of bike (they changed again in '04). They only made about (really rough guess) 5000-6000 2003 KX250. My trucks radiator will fit (guessing) almost 20 years of trucks, they made millions of GM trucks that take the same exact part. Get the picture? Specialty parts for specialty vehicles, limited part runs equal higher cost. Nothin wrong with making some money (gouging is wrong), you expect to get paid for work, so does you dealer. Thats how he keeps the doors open, pays his electric, heat, insurance, floor plan, advertising, accessories and employees bills! All this just so he can be there to sell you a $5 spark plug. So next time your at your local dealer and your hammering him hard on price remember he has bills to pay and kids to feed just like you. Don't be a !)ick, ask for a fair deal and everyone is happier.

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
sweetjeep said:
Coop: Not true. Anyone getting the bike for less than about $5300 is a killer deal, but the dealer isn't losing money.

I don' t know about Yamaha sales programs but Suzuki (I did just buy an RM) offers monthly and yearly kickbacks per bike to the salesman and the dealership. So for many dealers it's worth their time to push the bikes out the door at a minimal up front profit to make the "backdoor" profit.

Plus if you make a customer happy at the time of the sale they are car more likely to come back and buy parts where the dealership can make nearly as much selling you a top end as they can selling a whole bike. Where again, certain mfgr's offer certain monthly/yearly kickbacks.

It's just like cars, there is the MSRP, the Invoice, and what the dealer REALLY pays, then there are kickbacks. No dealer is going to sell a bike and lose money.

Morgan

I have worked for a Yamaha dealer for 20 years, it is nothing like the car dealeships... cost is 5199.00 for a 2005 yz250 two stroke U.S model
See ya Coop37

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
Lissa,

I asked for a "fair deal" from my local Yammie dealer on an 05 YZ250 and he quoted me $7600 out the door! LMAO

SOOO I bought it out of state for $5200. And to think...this would have been the 3rd bike in 2 years that I had purchased from my local dealer. Heck I would have bought it for $6000 . Now who was being the D*ck? ;)

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
There are some decent dealers out the but there are some underhanded cut throat dealers also. I have no problem with the dealer making a fair profit, it's understandable, they need to to stay in business. The problem is that most of the time, you just don't know which one you can trust anymore. Once you've been burnt, you have to assume that the next dealer is just like the last one that ripped you off. I've had my dealings with a few shops and consider only 1 really "trustworthy" if you can call it that and it's a shame I have to approach it with that attitude but I have to keep the guard up. The stealers are the ones hurting the reputation of the good dealers. IMHO.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
{Nothin wrong with making some money (gouging is wrong), you expect to get paid for work, so does you dealer. }

Guess you skipped this line in my previous post. Gouging is Wrong! Fair deals, cool... Ripping off is just plain wrong in any form..

I've worked at several dealers and they've all had different business ethics. One dealers was a complete rip-off and preyed on the unknowning. One dealer was so laid back and backwards that they barely survived. The current dealer I've been with the longest and they are honest about prices, takes care of our customers (especially the off-road variety) and makes sure our bum is covered so we don't go out of business. I'm not sure about your own local dealers, but a way to tell if their going to be fair is if they are legit off-roaders. Do you run in to them when your out riding? Do you see them outside of the shop? Our customers who race see us from outside our shop. We're out there racing and riding right beside them.. People are less inclined to screw you over if they see you out of their place of business.

Last edited:

crazyYammi

Aug 31, 2004
I tried to give the dealers in my area a fair shake, but they were totally nuts...

1st place wanted list price but also tack on 400-500 for shipping and assembly (+ sales tax)
me: "i would like to negotiate the price"
him: "it is a new model and they are hard to get so no negoating" (this was in january the bike had been out for six months)

2nd place i ask for an 04 and he says he has one in a crate.
me: "i will give you list price out the door if you sell it in the crate"
him: "i dont sell bikes that way"
me: "i am not buying ANYTHING from YOU"

if these guys go down the drain you can be sure i wont shed a tear.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
What can I say, you got bung-holes for dealers. Oh, and about purchasing a uncrated bike, it is against the dealer agreement with the manufacture and could come back to bite'em in the bum if the sell a bike (let it leave the building) still in the crate. Part of the dealers obligation is to prep and road(dirt) test all new M/C in case there is a defect. Maybe thats what he meant when he said 'I don't sell bikes that way.' If not, then oh well. Forget 'em. There are very few exceptions to the rule. I built my own bike from the crate, but thats because I work in the shop.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
I had my bike shipped to my house in the crate...

If you can't buy the bike in the crate I recommend you always watch them do the work and make sure they actually do what they say they're going to do...I've heard of people being charged prep fees of $300 or more when all they do is put on the handlebars and front wheel(a 15 minute job)...Many times a salesmen will imply to customers at the point of sale that there is a big assembly process when uncrating the bike..Totally false..The bike comes almost fully assembled apart from the front wheel, handlebars, and controls..Very easy to do.

Streetbikes are even easier...Bolt on the windscreen and mirrors and you're done...

For every bike the dealer sells they already get paid fee for the limited assembly job they perform from the manufacturer...

Top Bottom