Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
There are a couple of nice trails (read relatively rock free). Hopefully scooter or some of the Paragon regulars will be able to point you in the right direction. I kinda know where they are, but I don't know what the names of the trails are.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Jerry, I hope I didn't scare you in the other thread. There are trails with rocks and there are trails with ROCKS. After seeing quads riding there I'd say it's easier for bikes. You can steer around a lot of stuff and there are only 2 wheels to bounce you around. There are ALWAYS going to be rocks in the NE but there are several trails that aren't too bad. I know a few nice loops that are fairly rock free that I take newer riders on but you will never have something with no rocks. I personally stay away from the real nasty stuff.

Wintermute

Jul 7, 2005
I'm with Papa, the nasty stuff is fun!:aj:

Jerry, there are some nice single track trails off of valley road that arent too filled with rocks, but it is the sort of thing you have to learn to live with in the north east. In general at paragon you will be OK from a rock perspective if you stay on the green rated trails.

Wintermute
-----------------------------------------------------------
If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the precipitate

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Jerry,
Are you riding at Paragon this weekend? I'm suppose to meet a few guys there at 9:00 Sunday morning.

Oct 13, 2005
NOt sure that I would be able to keep up withyou guys, just started riding the dirt bike, skills are not that great. I would not want to slow you guys up.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I understand. It looks like it's going to be nasty this weekend anyway. Not that I plan on letting that keep me from riding!!

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Well, if any of you guys would rather ride next Saturday (10/29), I'm going. It's supposed to be very nice. We don't have many of those days left!!!

Lemme know!

PS: I know a whole day's worth of not "rockless" but easy trails to ride up there, so no worries.. There are easy rides, but to be honest, the rocks aren't so bad now that my front forks have some oil and decent springs in them!!! :rotfl:

njdrtrdr

Dec 10, 2002
What I love about rocks is no matter how many times you ride over it, it's still a rock and can never get beat into a whoop-de-do. I hate whoops.........

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
njdrtrdr said:
What I love about rocks is no matter how many times you ride over it, it's still a rock and can never get beat into a whoop-de-do. I hate whoops.........

Never been to Nevada, have you? :laugh:

Oct 13, 2005
It is not the small relatively flat rocks that intimidate me, it is the larger boulder type rock that looks like you could have a tire get stuck between and go for a ride over the bars :yikes:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I was leary of that type of rock when I first got back into riding too. I would say it took me about a year before I realized that attacking those types of rocks made for an easier ride than trying to avoid them. I know easier said than done. But once you realize that your bike can handle the hit, riding rocks becomes much, much easier. The other thing that riding rocks requires is that you stand on your pegs. I never stop being amazed at what my bike can get through/over if I only give it a chance.

njdrtrdr

Dec 10, 2002
I would second that motion. ALot of times, and it may look crazy. It's easier to go over the rocks than between them. ONce you learn what the suspension can soak up.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
DaveRS575 said:
Well, if any of you guys would rather ride next Saturday (10/29), I'm going. It's supposed to be very nice. We don't have many of those days left!!!

Lemme know!

PS: I know a whole day's worth of not "rockless" but easy trails to ride up there, so no worries.. There are easy rides, but to be honest, the rocks aren't so bad now that my front forks have some oil and decent springs in them!!! :rotfl:
Dave, If we get rained out Sunday I may take you up on then...assuming the wife doesn't think I've done "enough" around the house and wants me home! :laugh:

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
RM_guy said:
Dave, If we get rained out Sunday I may take you up on then...assuming the wife doesn't think I've done "enough" around the house and wants me home! :laugh:

Sounds like you guys had a nice ride last weekend, so I guess this means the honeydew list is still waiting for you this weekend upcoming.

I will still be there however, rain or shine, and yes, Papa, I agree with you on the whole rock thing.

Since having my front forks reworked, I was STUNNED and amazed at what my bike can do through those sections. It's all about the right setup for your weight and yes, standing on the pegs makes a huge difference for me, and in general terms of the center of grabidy ;)

A little speed+tuned suspension+C.O.G.+initial sackofeggs = success and confidence with most rox.

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
Jerry,

Come on down to Jersey. Tight woods trails with logs and sand. Fall down, no problem just get up, brush yourself off and you are good to go.

I rode another area like Paragon two years ago. I have never ridden in rocks like that before. Luckily, I didn't hit the deck. Rocks definately provide a different challenge, I just don't want to drive 4+ hours home after crashing.

Randy

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
The majority of my riding is in Wharton State Forest which is mostly in Burlington County. You can also ride Lebenon State forest which is slightly north of Wharton. I ride Wharton because it is 20min from my house.

If you want to ride in the State forest, I would strongly suggest you have license, registration, and insurance when riding in the State Forest. I have never had problems with rangers because I always have license plate and paperwork.

If you want to ride track and trail, try NJ Off Road Vehicle Park in Chattsworth, NJ. $50/day, $300/yr. I have a membership there also.

As far as tracks, you have Englishtown, NJ and Atco, NJ.

You can use maps.google.com to locate these places. Then use their satellite images to see the tracks and trails.

Let me know if you are still interested. I think you would enjoy it more than Paragon!

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
jerry and sons said:
Randy I have a yz 250 without a registration or insurance. Might be a problem, but I would like to get together to ride sometime. I am unable to send you a pm, my email is jerryandsonslandscaping@comcast.net
Thanks
Jerry

Bah Humbug..... Paragon has plenty of easy areas as well. Don't let the rumors disuade you, seriously. There are hours and hours of stuff you can ride without any real concerns, as well as beginner, intermediate and advanced stuff. Most people who tell you about how horrible Paragon Rocks are probably did not have a guide and ended up in some of the nastier stuff the park has to offer. It's easy to get into the nasty stuff if you don't know your way around there. I've been there, done that, and it's not fun. Fortunately, I've also gone on some incredible rides there with great people who know the park well, so I got the best and worst of both worlds. Come on up on Saturday and you'll have a great day out. Promise.

By the time you leave, you will be dying to come back.

Draybob

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Jerry, I wouldn't hesitate to ride with Dave, or most anybody else here. They are a great bunch and will treat you right. Don't worry about holding people up, we've all been there. You will be amazed at how much you will improve in a day up at Paragon.

Just don't let Dave follow you up any hills. In that situation I've seen him try to give a Pro Taper suppository to a guy riding a Yamaha before! Right Nate?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom