Please Help! (headgasket question)

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Hi Fellas,
I bought a top end kit that contains 2 headgaskets?
One is the straight metal one and one is of a compressible material with a metal ring around the center.
Which one is for my 1988 CR250R?

Part Numbers on the package are....
12254H12000
12254KZ3000
Which one of these part numbers is the thin one?

It looks like the thicker compressible one would work better to seal the coolant areas and since I have been having problems with coolant leaks on the old head (have new one now), it probably makes sense to use it over the straight metal one UNLESS it is going to cause other problems.

I really wanna get this thing done tomorrow for riding...
Please help!!!!

:bang:

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
That bike used a metal gasket, so I have no idea what the other one is for.
If you were having cooling leaks you shoud have the head planed .
If you don't want to try that, spray the metal gasket with Permatex gasket maker on both sides before installing.

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Thanx for the reply.
I actually replaced the head because it appeared that it had been resurfaced a couple of times before.

I did use a metal one last time and it did not do a very good job of coolant sealing. Even after using that copper gasket spray, it started to weep after a few rides.

I think I will use the compressable gasket since it looks like it will solve any leak problems. It would appear that the only downside will be a slight drop in compression since the head will sit slightly further away from the cylinder over the metal gasket material.

Thank you for the help though.
I appreciate it

B2

Top Bottom