mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Hey guys. I have never worn motocross gear at all; only a helmet.

Now I am getting all decked out with every peice of body armor that I know of (mainly so other people stop worrying about me).

Anyways, as you might of guessed, I am clueless, so I have a few questions about upper body protection and how it works.

Unfortunetly, I have noticed that no one (including the people selling the stuff) seems to know JACK about it, so hopefully you guys can help.

Anyways, first of all, I have noticed that I can't find a "chect protector" anywhere, only something called "roost protection" or "deflectors" etc. They all look the same, and they all look like chest protectors to me. ARE they the same? and more importantly, do they protect you from more than just "roost"? If I dump my bike is this going to actually protect me from the ground? :)

Also, how much does a "deflector" protect? The one I bought is the fox "airframe", which claims to have "quick release arm protectors", and shoulder cups. Does this thing protect my shoulders & bicepts or something? also, what about ribs & back/spine??????

As for the rest of my upper body, I bought Fox Raptor elbow guards. They look long; do they protect my forearms as well?
I also bought a Kidney belt too. Will all this gear work with eachother? or will the belt & elbow guards clash witht he "airframe deflector"?? Also, is this all that I need for upper body, other than gloves?

As for my lower body I bought the fox performa boots for $240.00, and I bought the THOR forceguard knee guards. I also bought fox MX pants & jersey, & gloves, along with THOR powercore or whatever goggles. I already have a helmet.

Am I all set on body armor now? or have I forgotten something?

All the stuff I bought online and it wont be coming for awhile. And I really have no clue how this body armor works, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. and like I said, no one seems to know JACK about this stuff, including the people that sell it.

Stryke

Jul 19, 2005
i think they are for roost delfection but they are also for body protection. If u fall off ur bike and land on ur back on a rock or tail whip ur bike wrong and were to have the handle bars swing into ur chest and brake ur ribs i think u would want the chest protector. Anyways i dont think most of them call them "chest" protectors because if someone flipped say a quad onthemselves which crushed there chest and killed them they could be sued because they said it protects the chest. I say its manditory to wear. If something were to happen i say its better than nothing and whatever damage will happen atleast it will halp alittle.
It will protect u. Im gonna buy the thor force protector instead of the airframe because its backpiece is one solid piece not bendable. I want more support on the back if i ever landed on it. But they are both good i think

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Stryke said:
i think they are for roost delfection but they are also for body protection. If u fall off ur bike and land on ur back on a rock or tail whip ur bike wrong and were to have the handle bars swing into ur chest and brake ur ribs i think u would want the chest protector. Anyways i dont think most of them call them "chest" protectors because if someone flipped say a quad onthemselves which crushed there chest and killed them they could be sued because they said it protects the chest. I say its manditory to wear. If something were to happen i say its better than nothing and whatever damage will happen atleast it will halp alittle.
It will protect u. Im gonna buy the thor force protector instead of the airframe because its backpiece is one solid piece not bendable. I want more support on the back if i ever landed on it. But they are both good i think

Thank you Styke. Anyone else have any feedback on this?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The MFG's typically won't call them "Chest Protectors" for liabiliity reasons... "roost deflector" is a more accurate description anyway. Once you are into the full frontal/back protection versions (hard shell) they are all pretty much the same as to how much protection they offer. Try some on, go for the one that feels best/covers most.. which is usually a compromise.

The Raptor elbow guards do cover some of your forearm.

Yes, it'll all "work together"... sounds like you've got it all covered.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom