atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Ok, for all you wheelers and dealers, whats shipping cost on a bike in a crate. Say from St. Luis to NY. Looking at buying a 1990 CR 250 (Any good news bad news storys about those would be good also) and am probably going to buy or not buy based on the shipping. Anybody with some experience with shipping bikes all over the country that could give me an idea, well, that would be great. Also, anybody coming East some time, BRING IT ;)

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Ditto on Ivan's post about Forward Air.
Shipping for my bike from SC to TN was $220.00 but under a differen't company that the seller used.

Phillip

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I shipped a bike Tulsa Oklahoma to Portland Oregon using fORWARD AIR. I had to deliver the bike to the terminal and they had to pick it up at the airport. It cost me around $115. I had a bike shipped from Minnesota to my door in Ark City Kansas. It cost $130. I can't remember the name of the comapny that did it. It was a smaller regional frieght company.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by atc3434`
Looking at buying a 1990 CR 250 (Any good news bad news storys about those would be good also

don't let the shipping cost stop you on a good deal. regarding the bike, i had one. it had a rocketship motor, passable shock, horrid forks but was very reliable. it was so fast that i became a contender the day i bought it: a veritable holeshot machine. one of my favorite all-time bikes in the looks department too.

...i also had my first serious injury on it. :scream:

Quinton

Sep 1, 2002
Me too mx547; I just recently broke both of my ankles and a fibula on my 92 cr250. They are fast, fun machines. Just for reference atc I paid $1500 for mine and it has all brand new plastic and graphics kit and matching ceet cover. Everyone thinks its brand new when they see, if they don't know the difference in frames. You can beat the heck out of'em.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Sounds like you are going to buy a bike without riding it. I would never do that. I've done that fault once and never again. Why dont you go and see it? I dont know how far it is but then i dont understand why you are buying a bike so far from you, arnt there any closer?

About the bike. I dont know about the '90 but i have a '93 and its the best bike i ever had. Have had it for two years and ridden it hard in any weather, +25 to -25. Starts and works great anyday year around without any jetting. It have only died one single time in the two years i have owned it, that was after i had riding on idle for like 10km then trying to rev it hard. Not a single part have got broken except stuff like clutch leavers and such when i have crashed! The engine is just awesome, beats probably any 125 on the planet. Took my friends 02 cr125 in a dragrace easy.

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
I called Forward Air out of JFK and they gave me a sample price to ship my DR350 (~270lbs) to San Fransisco I think for $89. The catch is that they needed the bike crated to their satisfaction and recommended a company that quoted me $475 + $50 delivery to Forward Air depot. That stopped me from listing my bikes on E-Bay. Who would buy a $1500 bike and then pay $600 shipping? I'm still baffled!!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
wannayz
You can crate your own so much more cheaper by visiting your dealer. I work at one and the Steele "crates" out back just collect rust. A helpfull mechanich will get you the peices and you can get it for around $50.00 or so. Next stop will be your HW store for the 14mm bolts you will need to bolt it togeather. By doing it this way you will save $ because it lowers the height and width. You will have to remove your bars and tie off your various controls to the bike(Zip ties, 2 bucks ) and remove the front wheel and zip it to the frame of the bike or the box.

Phillip

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I got a crate free from a dealer. All hardware included. I covered the sides with large sheets of cardboard. I have heard since then that they require hard sides (plywood) Either way it still would be less than $25 total to build a crate with plywood sides. Mine was free with card board.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I shipped a bike from Michigan to California via USF Holland and it cost $305. I got a pre-made crate for free from work. The gross weight was 250 lbs. I used class 85 to keep the rate low and packed very carefully.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom