geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Anybody have any good ideas or companies for shipping motorcycles across the country.

I've been considering buying some used, often hard to find bikes, from around the country. But I need some reasonable prices on shipping to make it worthwhile. Anything?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Do a search "Shipping Bike" in the general forum.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
shippingmasters.com

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
I talked to Forward Air, trying to get an estimate on shipping prices on a dirt bike going from Las Vegas to Milwaukee. They need to know the final shipping weight and the dimensions of the crate to give me an estimate.

The crate has to be made with at least 1/4 inch plywood. The bike's dry weight, without gas and oil should be around 220 to 235 pounds (a 90 street legal, Baha Designs kitted XR 200). But I still need to guess the dimensions and weight of the crate. If the crate is above a certain size, they'll go by that, more that weight. Anybody have an idea on dimensions and final weight?

I'll give the local Honda dealer a call, too. They may be helpful.

Another problem. Seems like a lot to ask for the private seller to crate the bike and haul it to the local Forward Air station, which thankfully is close, anyhow. A bike hooked up normally with tie downs is one thing, but hauling a crate....? Sounds a little more difficult to load and unload. (I have heard that the best way is to get an old crate is from a dealer.) I won't have any problems on the pick up end, but I'm wondering about the seller. Any other thoughts on this moving process? Thanks.

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
Well I payed about 120.00 or so to get my 02 yz from ON.
I shiped my 00 cr off in the crate that the yz came in to AL.
Cost for that was $75.15 size was 78"x22"45" Weight was 352 bike & crate.
They forked it on the truck and when I got it home I just took a few 2x8"s
and made a ramp and my and my wife just walked it down.
All in all was to do.
Heres a pic on my yz HERE

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
thanks tileman

I just measured my old XR 185 in the garage and guessed some crate sizes and came out with 7' 8" long, 3'wide, and 4' high. I'm figuring 230 for the bike and 70# for the crate. The crate has to be completly enclosed. Called that in for an estimate and they quoted me $216.34. Reasonable, I thought.

Hey, nice bike, nice crate!

I wonder if the bike should be dis-assembled some for the shipping? Or at least the bars off...?

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
Ron---Those extra tires look like they make great support and protection for the bike.

Yes they did I had them laying around and they came off the cr so I just tossed them in on the deal.
It took me about 2 hr to crate that thing up will the the stuff I had in there for the guy 2 tires about 6 qt of oil & outher stuff that I did not need for the bike..

Ron.

Top Bottom