Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Okiewan said:
Wonder if Buffalo Rock is still open? It's not far from wardy's either ... 10 minutes? That would surely satify the woods riders.

You're a Woods rider now, got the busted toes to prove it :yikes:

And yes, Spring would work for me, not sure about the temps though. North = Good.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Wardy's would be awesome, if we could talk him into building a bigger MX track. ;) I believe Wardy's has 12 miles of trails, plus a killer peewee track and a SX-style track.

Yep, Buffalo is still alive and kicking for extra woods riding. They have 3 MX tracks now from what I understand, the big one (which they actually groomed and held a few races this year), the peewee track, and a new sand MX track. Plus 400 acres of trails, creeks, hills, etc. No quads there either.

Like Zoomer said, Sunset Ridge MX is a half hour drive, but it would be nice to have it all in one place. :think:

Casey is a one stop shop, MX track, peewee track, GP track, tons of trails.... but I guess DRN has been there, done that.

I was thinking Dutch Sports Park in south-western MI www.dutchsportparkmx.com might be a cool option. It's not that far north, about in line with Chicago, just on the other side of the lake. The facilities blow away almost any track in the US.... RV dump station, flush bathrooms, enclosed showers, outdoor showers, cement bike wash, air and water station, covered starting line with fans, volleyball and horseshoes (lighted for nighttime playing), community campfire, huge kids playground with the cartoon network on TVs, playground monitor, inhouse concession building, hayrides, etc.

And for the riding, they have an awesome MX track which is safe and fun for riders of all skill, a peewee track (Smurf City), and they hold a "National Hare Scramble" so I'm sure there are some trees for the woods folks (unless the woods are leased for the event only, not sure). Plus they hold an ATV jamboree with trail rides, poker rides, drag racing, mud pits, barrel racing, etc. Motels in nearby Paw Paw and a few other towns.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I have travelled twice to Michigan for riding trips and it is MUCH closer than OK.

Northern Florida up the East Coast is closer to Michigan than Ok. The midwest people would have to drive, some as far, some shorter.

The west coast contingent is the hardest hit with a Michigan trip.

Ivan

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Where is the St. Joe riding area? I assume St. Joseph, MI (Benton Harbor?)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Damn.....that place sounds sweet Nikki.....but it'd be 1400 miles for me, and 2100 for Elk....That's one way. I don't mind though, we'll just have to leave the spaceship at home and camp in the back of the truck a la Lou. Matt

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If there is enough interest, we could have two, one spring and one fall, one east, one west (west as in OK) BUT if having two means two with small turn-out, we're screwed!

BUK0138

Sponsoring Member
Mar 29, 2001
Up North sound great to Donny and I ...... we would be very happy... :) Dutch sound great it sounds like it has a good mix of track and trail :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Do they have a more official bike dunk-n-wash, up than than Kris had? :laugh:

BUK0138

Sponsoring Member
Mar 29, 2001
I really do not know :laugh: ... but I bet Donny would give it a try.... given half a chance :nener:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Has he renamed his bike "Red October"?

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
Me thinks Michigan would be cool. I bet you would see a pretty good turnout from people who couldn't swing OK. It doesn't matter to me though, I'm going to the next DW, I don't care where it is. :nod:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
BUK0138 said:
Up North sound great to Donny and I ...... we would be very happy... :) Dutch sound great it sounds like it has a good mix of track and trail :laugh:
But Donny wants it in mid January when the water is a bit FIRMER :nod:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
JMHO but no matter where or when you have it will be great for some and not for others. Early summer/late spring conflicts with racing schedules, weddings, graduation parties.

Summer is busy. Falls works for some and not for others. What about March or Early April? Seems by then a person could take kids out of school being that it's almost over, but I don't know.

I doubt that you could get the attendance for 2 events given the current economy which really effected this last one I'm sure.

Tough call there Okie, whats going on in the State of MO, it's centrally located?

Good luck with your decision.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Dutch Sport Park is amazing, beautiful MX track, technical woods and a great location. One problem with it though would be possibly snow and cold temps in the spring!

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
how bout towards the middle south
could do it in spring ie march april and weather would be nice

one draw back of living in florida it is so far from everywhere

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
count me in for Dutch Sports Park.

Would Wardy's have enough room for everyone camping? The camping area was almost full with this year's group, but then I noticed there was another area as well.

Geographically, seems like Missouri would be great, but I don't know any details on the parks there. It's going to be tough to beat Cooperland regarding the tracks and camping facilities. A larger or more hilly woods area and electrical hookups would be nice though.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
An Early June Dirtweek some where in Michigan would be awesome. And DSP in June would be even more awesome!!! I would say that you would get to meet the North East part of DRN that don't/can't drive to Oklahoma...
Just my .02 cents

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
motometal said:
count me in for Dutch Sports Park.

Would Wardy's have enough room for everyone camping? The camping area was almost full with this year's group, but then I noticed there was another area as well.

Geographically, seems like Missouri would be great, but I don't know any details on the parks there. It's going to be tough to beat Cooperland regarding the tracks and camping facilities. A larger or more hilly woods area and electrical hookups would be nice though.

Not to mention the 500 for woods in addition to those Cooper owns. I'm sure we can work something out with Stillwater to run the HS there.

Keep the ideas coming.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Desert Week, dunes, sand, cool weather, California.....

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Like Fred T said, no matter where or when you have it will be great for some and not for others. I would thing the first or second week of June would open up more possibilities with those who have kids since most schools are out by then. I would like to see Dirtweek in the spring as the last few years it had been the week of the Branson National. I attended Dirtweek two years ago, but was not able to go last year due to work. This year I made the decision to race the Branson National, but damn the luck I broke three ribs 7 weeks ago so I wasn't able to attend either the race or Dirtweek.

Some of the Missouri continent needs to chime in on locations that have the facilities, with a MX track(s) and woods loops.

I've never been to this track, but it has a mx and pee wee track and is located in SE MO. http://www.thayermx.com/indexflash.html .

Another location in NE Arkansas that may be an option is http://www.thackermotox.com/index2.html . Again, I've never been to this location.

As for Dirtweek in the fall, can you back it up to the last week of Sept? :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom