Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I vote Cooperland for spring, fall or when ever. It is centrally located and has everything we need (MX, woods, the 500, a pee wee track) and Kris is always willing to do whatever it takes to make us feel at home. Then throw into the mix the Kenny factor and some of the people that show up out there... no brainer.

Moving DW away from Cooperland would be like moving the Sturgis rally to Kansas IMO.

But as stated before, no matter where or when, some are gonig to love it and some will hate it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Jenni while it would be nice to have DW in my back yard and Cross Creek is a nice facility it is not Cooperland / the 500.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thump said:
I vote Cooperland for spring, fall or when ever. It is centrally located and has everything we need (MX, woods, the 500, a pee wee track) and Kris is always willing to do whatever it takes to make us feel at home. Then throw into the mix the Kenny factor and some of the people that show up out there... no brainer.

Moving DW away from Cooperland would be like moving the Sturgis rally to Kansas IMO.

But as stated before, no matter where or when, some are going to love it and some will hate it.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto ...

Does anyone know of a track/trail system as nice as Cooperland that is near Lebanon Kansas? The geographical center of the lower 48 states lies outside of Lebanon, Kansas, in the middle of a hog farm. Lebanon Kansas is about 250 North by NorthNorthWest of Cooperland and is perhaps the only way we can make it more equally agrivating for everyone.

I am interested in hearing the reasoning behind why people that will drive half way across the US for Mickey or a race will not come to Cooperland for DirtWeek. How about some comments from the folks that will not come ... no how, no way. I'm not trying to throw stones, I am genuinely interested in why you do not think that you would come to or enjoy DirtWeek.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We've made the 1700 mile trip to CL for four years in a row. I would just like a change of scenery if anything. Plus with the low turnout at DW05 (which was mostly attended by TX/OK residents), it seems that maybe a "new" group can be pulled in by trying a different location.

Plus if DW is in June after school is out.... might be a little warm at CL?

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I've not been to a DW, yet. But for me, a 1700 mile round tripper is just a tad too much to go ride my dirtbike for a few days. A big part of that is not being sure what to do with my gf for that time. She plainly has no interest in bikes. :(

But Michigan I can get away with. Of course I could get away with Casey as well, but that's been done.

As I said earlier, I don't care where it is, I'm there next time.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
washing bikes is a great activity for the non rider :boss:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
DW is more than riding a dirtbike for a few days.
Cooperland suits me fine. Would I like it closer? Sure, who wouldn't. Is the distance something that will keep me from going? No effin way!

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Papakeith said:
DW is more than riding a dirtbike for a few days.
Cooperland suits me fine. Would I like it closer? Sure, who wouldn't. Is the distance something that will keep me from going? No effin way!

Right on PK, I traveled 1300 for DW twice and plan on continueing. I wont travel half of that to see Mickey, I am not part of that crowd, and I have never traveled that far for a race, 1000 was that record. Cooperland Rocks!

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
If Dirtweek was not at Cooperland, and was at any time during the summer, there is very little chance I would be able to get away until I'm out of college, but that's fine.

If it's possible, I'll do my best to make it. The Tuesday I spent out there was the most relaxing day I've had in a very long time. Just out there at the track all day, no worries about anything except riding.

It doesn't get any better than that.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
how about we invade kevin windhams house... doesn't he have pretty sweet trails and an awesome track. i know nikki's in with me on that one ;)

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
YES!! A spring dirtweek would be awesome! I don't care where it's at, I'll be there if I'm out of school. Why not Casey? If all else fails, just keep it in OK.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I think eventually we should do a poll to find out the real reason why people didn't attend this year. And people will have to be honest, is an additional $100 or so for fuel really a deal breaker? Maybe for some folks it is, and I understand. At the same time, it's easier to say "fuel prices" than to say "I didn't have that much fun last year because _____, etc. For the poll to be effective, we need to get the root cause, if they don't want to travel that far or if they are bored with having it at Stillwater year after year, they need to indicate as such.

Myself, I wouldn't mind a change of scenery, but at this point i'm far from bored with Cooperland. I will say that the track conditions were not as good this year (please don't flame me for saying this, just stating an opinion).

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It wasn't as good each day, no doubt.

We'll resolve that next year and hopefully the extra work, fuel and workers won't be $ out of Kris' or my pocket :) We just didn't generate enough revenue this year to be able to afford it. We need a minimum of 200 riders to cover everything as we would normally do it.

It just takes more than one operator on more than one piece of equipment to keep the track groomed all week, without of course keeping the track closed for work half of each day.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Yup.. different places are cool. The basic problem with that has been mentioned. There are FEW that have everything we need. There are great tracks, there are great trails... there are places that have both (what, 2?) that are on one side of the country or another. When you combine Cooperland and the 500, it's VERY hard to beat.

Infact, it's so good, there will be a ISDE qualifier there Memorial Day weekend, combining several land owners, something we may be able to pull off next year.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Okiewan said:
It wasn't as good each day, no doubt.

We'll resolve that next year and hopefully the extra work, fuel and workers won't be $ out of Kris' or my pocket :) We just didn't generate enough revenue this year to be able to afford it. We need a minimum of 200 riders to cover everything as we would normally do it.

It just takes more than one operator on more than one piece of equipment to keep the track groomed all week, without of course keeping the track closed for work half of each day.

sounds like a plan. I guess this was a catch 22, I can relate to the expenses, but if poor track conditions are a turn off to those who attend, it doesn't do any favors to next year's attendance. Outside of our camp, I heard several comments but it would be tough for me to say if this would actually have an impact on these folks' decision to attend future events, or other events at Cooperland for that matter, although logic says that it would.

Reminds me a bit of my work, some times we bid jobs too low or the job for some reason is way tougher than it initially appeared. To encourage future business, we have no choice but to do things right even if it's a loser in the short term. Cooperland is a business as well. Admittedly, we may have been spoiled the first year or two with great track conditions, or maybe expectations are higher than they should be. We all have local tracks, or know a guy that has a track that's rutted, dry slick, and rough most if not all of the time, don't have to look far to find a track with these conditions. For some (not all), riding on a pro-level track, prepped as such is an important part of DW.

Everything about dirtweek, including all of the post-DW threads, has been nothing but positive. I don't mean to pee in the pool here, but since we are discussing pros and cons of locations and reasons why attendance is down, I thought it appropriate to bring up track conditions, since it is about the only complaint I heard all week.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
after a bit more thought, there are different aspects of DW that take higher or lower priority, depending on the individual. These are listed in no particular order:

the track
the trails
events
giveaways
cooking and eating
meeting new folks
taking pictures
campfires/socializing/partying
meeting a single dirt-biking guy or gal
learing more about bikes and riding
watching and getting to meet famous riders
watching freestyle
camping
watching your kids or others' kids have a blast
watching your dog have a blast
the pure "vacation" aspect (getting away from work or ???)

obviously, some of this is independant of the geographical location of the event...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
sounds like a plan. I guess this was a catch 22, I can relate to the expenses, but if poor track conditions are a turn off to those who attend, it doesn't do any favors to next year's attendance.
Fortunatley, track grooming is something that can be addressed. A crap track, lack of trails, lack of track, ammenities, space, etc, is not.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Motometal for a goofy guy you made some excellent points ;)
Circumstances just wouldn't work for us this year and then to top it off Spider wadded bad the sunday before we would have left if we could have gone and still can not ride.
I am all for a spring or very early event and hopefully the circumstances surrounding an upheaval in our household about that time will not prevent our attendance. One advantage to our new circumstances- we might be a lot closer to DW next year :ride:
It is hard to imagine a place as perfectly suited for our type gathering then Cooperland but I also think it would be so cool to gather at Wardy's place and utilize those facilities but be able to have the races actually occur at his stadium in Mendota on Sat night. Could you imagine the locals when we show up over 150 strong between racers and fans :yikes:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i was only there on saturday. other than the track being overwatered, what was the problem with track conditions? was something wrong with it during the week?

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Spring Break for school here (IL) is the last week of March.
I havent heard exact dates from anyone else.
Ive been to the last 5 Dirt Weeks, and have transformed from "I cant wait to ride all week" to " I cant wait to go camping, hang with friends, Cook for friends, eat at Camp Tejas, and ride." Ive heard some say gas prices held them back. Short of driving or pulling an RV, would a hundred more in overall cost for a VACATION change your mind? Not for me. As it was this year, dirtweek is still one of the cheapest vacations Ive taken in a long time, free camping, economical food, resonable entry fees. I guess its a matter of perspective, its a lot to go ride my bike, but its a bargain for a mini-vacation.
I would love the Dutch park idea because of distance, but will go to OK several more times, before getting bored with it. Time off work and kids out of school are the biggest obsticals for me at this point.

Top Bottom