motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I was trying to get in shape for dirtweek. I'm certainly not used to riding that much day after day. Last year I had open, oozing sores (sorry for the graphic description) on my hands after a few days.

It's tough to get in shape because it's so dry here, the riding isn't very good right now.

What's the consensus, are you guys (and gals) still riding, or are you shining, polishing, preparing, and sitting on your bikes making motor noises?

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Trying for a balance of both. I'm riding today and taking Mon. and Tues. vacation to grease my entire rear suspension. The thought of injury is a little more prevelent, 'cause I don't want to be down during DW. But, all you can do is ride comfortable and whatever happens, happens. Plus, I've only ridden this bike once, in the woods, and I'm hot to moto it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I never do too much shinin', but I have my bike in pristine mechanical condition! I almost hate to ride the beast.

I too would hate to make a silly booboo just before DW, so I'm taking it real easy.

btw motometal....my bike will be sporting the very same standard chain that it had at the last DW! (it was 8 months old at DW2)
:moon:

B

biglou

Riding next weekend but not on the track. It's being prepped for a race. Gonna play on the kiddie track and in the woods. I'll still get a few laps in first thing in the morning on the big track, and still get to practice starts (That's for when Dr. D starts talkin' all big and stuff...:eek: ) j/k, Dr. D, your da bomb! But I am not riding the weekend before DW. That is for checking my list, packing, unpacking and repacking!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I haven't been on a bike since May 19th. I figure it's too late to get in shape now. Might as well play it safe and just wait for DW at this point. :)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I want to race Whitney so bad the weekend before DW. I would have to leave from Whitney and drive straight to Cooperland and I just can't see risking any downtime. It will be a big event at Whitney and they will be out for blood so i think I'll hold off untill I get back and catch the next one there.

Might do some local stuff though. :aj:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I haven't ridden in three weeks. :( (not by choice though) I've decided not to ride at our usual spot (Turkey Bay). It's hard on parts and bodies. I've been riding around the farm a little. I want to be in shape for DW, but I also want to be there and have a bike in proper working condition too.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Rode today for the first time in a few weeks... no way am I going to be in shape, gave up on that idea a month ago. I'm thinking this is the worst shape I've been in for a DW yet! :( Oh well, I'll still have a blast.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I haven't ridden it at least two months. I have been on my bicycle some, but not enough to make any real difference.
I am waiting till DW, but not by choice. I have a project to push out in the next two weeks and many miles to drive between meetings.
I almost hope my cell phone doesn't work at Cooperland!

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
it's been three weeks since I have slung a leg over it. so i put them in the basement, had three bikes with the swings arms off of them, changed all the fluids, and am waiting for DW. and as far as getting in shape, well, I haven't stopped eatin! should I bring donuts?? :eek:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I have rode my A$$ off since I got my new bike. I've rode it about 500 miles since I got it and today we rode 57 miles of singletrack. That's it until dirtweek for me so I'll have 2 weeks off. Hope to try some exercise to stay in shape eonugh to make a moto in the bikes with lights race. Gotta get busy getting everything ready to go.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Tony.... don't worry! You will be lucky if the cell phone works out there. When Thump, Okie, and I went, we were lucky to get a signal standing in the tall observation tower. As an added plus, Blackberries get NO signal up there. It will be a week of no email and some phone calls (the ones that get lucky and bounce a signal off pluto and manage to connect with my phone might get an answer). :)

Today was my last ride until DW. It was also my second ride on the 426 (even though the first didn't amount to much... injured my wrist swatting at an elk-like bug). Wish I had more seat time but I know I'm faster on the heavier bike. That's all I needed to know! :)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I raced last week, but I'm chillin' until DW. I may do a play ride next week, but I WILL take it easy.

I'm with Jaybird on the shiny stuff. I'm just gonna make sure nothing falls off.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Today, I decided to ride the XR around on the street instead of riding off road...fun bike!

Funny to hear how many of us just did the suspension bearings and swingarm...me too!

Jaybird, i'll be sporting the same O-RING CHAIN I had since the bike was new 1.7 years ago, I don't recall tightening or spraying any lube on it since last years' dirtweek... :debil:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I still have the stock chain on my 250F. It's three feet longer than it was last year, but it still works. :thumb:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL :)

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Okie
Like that's saying much? :yeehaw: You should have saved your money.

NO! Say it ain't so! Is Oldiewan entering the smack talk fray? I'm sure I can scrounge up a 250F for a few laps if you want to play. ;)

Two weeks ago I wasn't sure about the 426.... I knew I liked the power better for jumps but was unsure in corners. Today I was hitting familiar corners better on the 426 than I was on the 250f. I'm learning how to ride the bike and liking it better than the 250F... believe it or not. I never thought I would make that statement. :)
I would still like the 250F better on the Cooperland minitrack (otherwise known as Okie's track) though. :yeehaw:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by TwinSpar
Tony.... don't worry! You will be lucky if the cell phone works out there.

Now that is music to my ears! All I have to do is wrap up the plots in my computer and this 16 hour day is over! :thumb:

To quote Okie ... I am sooooooo ready!!!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Okie
Compared to the 250, doesn't it feel like it wants to stand-up in the corners?

Yup.... I just had to learn to lean it over a bit further. Same thing with the 2002 CRF450R. I was riding them like the 250F. I've learned some but have a ways to go (Thump was threatening to break my wrists for dropping down into 2nd). I was having some serious fun though Mister! :)

I do tire more quickly having to hold on to the added arm pull.... but I'm hooked. :cool:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have not been on my bike in well over a month. Its still in pieces. At least it will shift into all six gears. The motor is still on the bench and the bike is pretty stripped. I will be using the next weekend to put the thing together and take it for a long test ride before heading out (hopefuly 30 or 40 miles). Could not have been worse timing for tranny trouble :(

Top Bottom