thewbomb

Nov 9, 2004
I have been noticing that the trails are open during the winter. i want to know what id need to do to my cr 125 to make it run in the snow.....i know that a bigger bike would help but i have what i have....thanks

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Studded tires are #1 on the list for winter riding. Dont bother heading out into the snow without them.

There are 2 ways to go about studded tires. The cheep way or the expensive way.

The expensive way is www.winterstuds.com Bring about $500

The cheep way is get 500qty 5/8" rear tire, 500qty 1/2" front tire Kold Kutter ice screws or Gold screws.

Screw about 1 per knob 1/2 screw into a very fresh front tire. Then put the 5/8 screws into the rear. Maybe 4 per knob on the large knobs and 1-2 on the smaller knobs. No real magic there. Just find a pattern and go to it. A 6 pack of barley pop helps the tire screwing process immensily.

As for the rest of the bike. You are going to have to rejet the carb for the cold weather. Usually a bigger main is the minimum for the winter.

Handguards are also nice to keep the hands somewhat warm. MSR makes big strap on "Elaphant ear" guard shields that help keep the wind and snow off your hands.

Dual layer goggle lenses and no fog cloths are a must also.

Dont overdress for the cold temps. You work up quite a steam man handling your bike thru the snow. You can very quickly be drenched in sweat of you over dress. Layers are the key. Waterproof sox are also a huge bonus. Seal Skins makes some good ones. try www.cheeperthandirt.com for the sox. Only $10.

Dont forget to come on out to Peackock Motorsports on March 19th for the 30th annual Snow Chicken once you get them tires studded. The Chicken is always a good time.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
thewbomb said:
I have been noticing that the trails are open during the winter. i want to know what id need to do to my cr 125 to make it run in the snow.....i know that a bigger bike would help but i have what i have....thanks

and a 125 will work just fine. I ran my 125SX the past 3 years, no problem other than lack of top speed maybe when riding with your buddy who rides a 300EXC, but it's still a blast - try it, you'll be hooked - sure beats sitting on the couch over the winter.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Although the studded tires cost more up front the work really well and last several years. After a few years the cost of adding screws or having to change tires because the won't hold screws may even out. I know Shawn wants a set after seeing mine.

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
I did it! I ordered a set of studded tires, they will be arriving Wednesday afternoon! :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
I looked at those but I like the tread pattern on the mefo 16 & 14 better. I think they'll handle the deep snow better, the trelly's do look better for the ice but I haven't seen much ice.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Mefo?? what the heck is that???? Never heard of it.

Send me a link to that will ya?

Top Bottom