2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Struggled for a while finding a suitable adapter to get rid of the giant, heavy stock muffler on my bike and put on something lighter and repackable. The problem stems from the fact that the end of the pipe on the 75-76 Honda elsinore 250s were approximately 1.7" in diameter because there is a small built-in stinger at the end of the pipe (probably because most racers in the day just took the silencer off and ran it with nothing). The silencer has a 1.25" OD pipe. Used a plumbing adapter for a while, but too heavy and ungainly and didn't work that well. Made an adapter out of auto exhaust pipe, same story. So I finally bought two radiator hoses. One small diameter that slips over the muffler inlet. And a larger hose with just the right bend in it so the muffler angles up nicely, rather than hanging out straight like it used to. Slipped a piece of the larger hose over the end of the pipe and the piece of hose I put on the inlet of the muffler. Looks great (hey at least I didn't braze or clamp a pop can on) and so far works very well. I've ridden it five times, but not longer than 35 minutes at any time. I tend to think it got as hot in that 35 minutes as it is ever going to. But I don't know. Hose felt about as hot as a radiator hose gets, but I didn't measure the temperature.
DSCF9207.jpg

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I doubt it will melt. Get hard and crack, maybe. The CR and MR sites have nothing? Some SS tube to go over the 1 1/4"silencer and into the pipe, not the preferred, but? You need a special mid pipe. Did the peanut silencer go inside the pipe? Vintage Bob

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Been on the Elsie sites for years and nobody has anything I've found. Thought about the smaller tubing into the pipe, but afraid it would mangle the inner baffle tube and there is still an exhaust outlet around the flange on the back of the stinger. Most people that have done this just stuck these on with hodgepodge adapters like I tried. When I started this particular project, I took my silencer apart and cut 4" off of it and the baffle then reassembled it so it didn't stick out far enough to require a red flag hanging off of it. I'm thinking I'll eventually cobble up two ss or aluminum pipes the right diameter and a plate and have them welded. Or (! epiphany !) maybe contact Emler at FMF to see if they can make me an adapter because it appears from the cr125m1 sitting in their office with a similar muffler that he has probably done this a few dozen times before. Hey, that's not a bad idea!! All he can do is say "no" or shoot me a price I can't afford, but that won't hurt my feelings. In the meantime, I can live with dry and cracked. I just don't want melting and burning !! Aren't those weird looking snorkel silencer things made of some sort of neoprene or rubber compound?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am pretty sure it is the same rubber compound as the air box and carb boots. I would be looking into making the end of the expansion chamber, fitting a standard silencer for that size bike. 1.25" is huge for a 250. My 83-480 is an 1 1/8th, and the 250's are a little smaller. There is the dropping 300 or so for a complete exhaust?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I bet a trip to a muffler shop would fix your problem, most likely about $20 or a few six packs.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
I had a similar setup on an IT465 and it worked fine for years, then finally split, so I replaced with another bit of same hose. All good :nod:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
+1 muffler shop.

"Way back when" (I was 16 when your Elsinore was new) my buds and I haunted our neighbors by terrorizing the streets on our B&S powered minibikes. The local muffler shop always hooked me up well by making a sweet custom exhaust for us "bad eggs of the neighborhood." I needed some kind of extention for the exhaust because the gas tank leaked and when the motor backfired, it would start a fire... routine: hear the backfire, look down and see the fire, pull over to throw dirt on it, onward!

Top Bottom