punk3002

May 2, 2002
I am sort of new to dirt biking and I have a question for any one. WHat would be better, A honda 400 xr or a KTM 400 EXC (i think those are the correct letters)? I would like something powerful and would have no problem fitting me. I am around 5' 10" and just a bit over 200 pounds. Plus I want to get a kit to make it street legal. Which one would be the all around best for me. Answer away!

knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
I`ve got a`97 xr400 and been very happy with it.Used mainly for trail riding its reliability is legendary.But,the light weight of the 400exc would be a great plus.Dont think you can go wrong with either bike.

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
I don't think that you could go wrong with either bike.
The XR has a long proven track record for reliability and durability and requires very low maintainance. The KTM is an excellent machine as well, but will require a little more detailed maintaince with more expensive parts.
Before buying either bike I would suggest checking into the Dual-Sport kits at www.bajadesigns.com and see what is available for each.
I love my Honda but use it only for offroad, however if money was no object I would consider a KTM.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Can you dual sport the XR easy? I don't think you can road legal an XR in WA, but the EXC is no problem. What about the Suzuki DRZ? Doesn't it come in an enduro version. I think this would be a great first bike for an enduro.
other then that I would get the XR. Then as you progress and know your staying in the sport, get the EXC. :)

DirtDawger

Jun 24, 2000
I don't know how well the KTM gearbox would hold up to extended road use. It has a smaller oil reserve and thinner gears. Ofcourse in the dirt it is way more fun to ride! :)

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
the new husky 450's will be easily street legal, and a much better choice than the ktm or wr. The xr is 80's technology. the ktm is from the 90's. If you want something present day get the crf, gas gas, Vor, TM, WR, FE, Dale, or Husky.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Maybe I'm missing something, but how is the WR more recent technology then the KTM. Which has electric start? The First RFS was in 2000. I believe the WR came out in 98' or 99'?
And if I was new to Dirt Biking, I still think the DRZ dual sport would be best!

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Get a used XR w/ aftermarket goodies already installed. Ride it for a year or two, hardly putting any $ into it, & then if you want to sell it, sell it & get most your money back. A 3-4 yr old XR has already lost most it's depreciation value (let someone else pay it) & is still stone reliable. Or you could pay too much for a KTM & have the motor grenade on you. That'll only cost you 9-10K.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
If your lookin' for a out the box "dual-sport" bike ( a Enduro is a bike equipped with a head-light and a tail light not turn signals, and they normally don't come with a title, unless we are talking about the KTM's which are exempt unlike the big four to conform to full street legality in order to recieve a title) A DRZ400 dual sport. It is by-far the best Dual-sport for the money on the market. With a few minor mods, the bike can be made relatively fast and well behaved off-road with on-road reliabilty. A win-win combination. Oh yea, and with a MSRP of $5449 it's pretty stinkin' affordable....Lissa

Galeener

Apr 30, 2002
My XR400R2 came with a title in Illinois. Baja designs makes a kit for these also. I am not sure what exactly I would have to add to make ist totally street legal. Maybe a horn and a mirror but I know you don't have to have turn signals. I guess it all depends on what state or province you ride in.
I am getting a little older and wish I would have went with the Suziki DRZ400e for the magic button . Wth 3 knee surgerys it is a lot harder to start the Xr 400 than my XR600 that I sold but it may be it is not broken in yet.
Rhett

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
the head light and tail light on enduroes are not intended for street use. They are for riding in dark woods so other riders can see you. And they come in handy when your out on the trail and the sun goes down before you make it back to camp!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom