punk3002

May 2, 2002
I am sort of new to dirt biking and I have a question for any one. WHat would be better, A honda 400 xr or a KTM 400 EXC (i think those are the correct letters)? I would like something powerful and would have no problem fitting me. I am around 5' 10" and just a bit over 200 pounds. Plus I want to get a kit to make it street legal. Which one would be the all around best for me. Answer away!

Jh85

May 17, 2001
Your sorta new to dirtbiking...What experience have you had?

Some say Katooms are a no no for street riding.......Something about the gears......
I think I also heard this was a "rumor" put out by kTm to keep people from street registering their bikes :think:

The XR on the other hand is the "bullet proof" alternative.

Don't quote me on this stuff ;)

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
They are both great bikes, but for different reasons. Which one you choose depends on how you plan on riding it. Money also matters as the KTM costs about 2k more (or more since used XRs are plentiful and relatively cheap).

The short version is that the XR4 is a trail bike that can be raced while the KTM 400 is a race bike that can be trail ridden. XR4s have great low end power, decent suspension and good handling. They can get through just about anything. They are also simple/easy/cheap to maintain and easy to sell. Shortcomings are weight, top end power and suspension. The power and suspension can be improved if you want to spend the $$$. Overall, the XR4 is a super bike with more than enough performance capability for most riders.

The KTM is ready to race stock and has very high quality components. Power and suspension are excellent so the bike is quite versatile. It is also lighter than the XR4 with a lower center of gravity. This creates a very different sensation when riding. The KTM feels faster and is less tiring to ride. That said, speed does not matter much to me and fun is the biggest variable. The KTM also has E-start which is a huge plus. At first I thought it was for wimps, but I guess that makes me a wimp because I won't buy another bike without it. Super useful when you get stuck on a big climb. The only minor downside on the KTM is the cost and time required for maintenence, but even that is not too bad. It needs much more frequent oil/filter changes than the XR4, but I can do them now in about 15min easy.

For all but the longest (100+ miles) and most remote trail rides, where reliability is critical, I prefer the KTM, and even then not by much. For all other kinds of riding, the KTM wins by a mile.

My understanding is that both bikes can be made street legal pretty easily.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom