Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
Hey all,

Recently bought an 04 YZ250 and I bought the GYT-R flywheel from Yamaha. When I went to put it on, I pulled of the cover and to my amazement saw that there was a bit of mud inside. Upon further inspection of the gasket, it looks as if there is a breather hole cut into it. Is that what this cut out is? Does the flywheel and/or heat create a vacuum and so is needed? Will a small amount of dirt damage the stator points? Just be aware, and maybe make the left side crank case part of your routine maintenance.

Also, do any of you know exactly how much oil I can use in the crank case to maybe cut some of the engine noise down? (I know the manual says 750ml) Is the engine noise normal for this year? This noise is not extreme, but does give me some concern seeing that the bike has only about 5 hours on it. Maybe it is just the normal sound and I am not used to it.

Thanks for any advice.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I put a Boyesen ignition cover on my YZ 125 to keep dirt and water out. There is no vent hole in the aftermarket ig cover. I don't know how much of a problem condensation will be, but I'm betting it is less of a problem than a bunch of dirt and water from the outside.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
while you have the cover off clean out the dirt and install the flywheel weight. let the bike sit without the cover overnight in a dry location. Re-install the cover with a small bead of silicone on the gasket to seal the area from further mitigation of dirt or moisture. Once a month repeat the dry / clean / caulk procedure.

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
I cleaned out the dirt and I cut a small piece of a business card, folded in half, to fit over the gasket where the water is coming in. I also put some gasket goo on it. I was just worried that this hole/gap was something that should not be messed with and that is why I was asking. Whew, I feel better now, because I rode it for about an hour the other day like that.

Thanks for the info guys.

Mainjet

Jul 20, 2002
2004 Yz 250

Yamahauler said:
How do you guys like that new Yamaha? Does the '04 have good low end like previous years?

The 2004 engine is identicle to the 2003, same barrel, head, pipe, reed, etc. The part numbers are all the same. My friends with the 2004 say the suspension is much improved, as well as feeling a bit more stable at high speed.......

Top Bottom