dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I I found a 1980 cr80 front end on e-bay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1822411078&r=0&t=0 ) for 10 bucks. I was wondering if it would be possible to just bolt up the front end on the xr80... for more suspension etc...

Would the triple clamps fit on the xr80? Does anyone know what the 1980 cr80 fork diameter is? I suppose I could just bolt them up to the stock triple clamps. If the wheel dosent fit, they have another wheel on there from the same bike... 10 bucks also.

Any opinions?

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
The stock xr80 forks are 27mm... I dont really need opinions, just specifacations about the 1980 forks. Not to say that I dont want opinions or anything like that...

Lost

Nov 12, 2000
The easiest way to check is to look at the steering stems of each bike.. If the diameter on one bike is different, forget it.. If they are the same, then you need to look at steering stem legnth and setup to make sure its the same or close.. Then you will have to think about brake setup.. Are they both disk brakes or is the xr drum? If they are both drum or both disk, it might work.. If they are different, it won't work.. Then there is wheel setup.. Youll probablly have to use the cr80 wheel, axle, forks, tripleclamps, and brakes from the xr the steering stem might be required. And lastly youll have to figure out what fender to use, but since your useing the cr80 clamps probablly the cr's fender will work best....

Good luck!

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
its a 1980 cr80, and no I do not happen to have one I can just look at. they are both drub brakes. I can buy the whole cr80 front end for 20 bucks. I just wanted to know if it would work

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
does anyone know how to find the diameter of the cr80 forks? If I can figure that out, and they match, I will just get them and bolt em up.

Lost

Nov 12, 2000
It looks like that auction comes withe the clamps so the diameter of the fork should not matter too much.. One problem i forsee is that you may need to run a 1980 cr 80 front tire, or get a different axle.. Its quite possible that the forks are futher apart.. Then you would need to run a cr axle and a ton of spacers..

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Nope they dont fit up. Tried that a while back on a 2000 XR80. The problem is the location of the triple clamp bolts. They are on the rear at an angle on the early CR's and the bolts heads wont clear the tank on later plastic tank XR's. The forks are bigger diameter, cant remember the actual size.

So save that $20 ;)

Top Bottom