Any CR250 years to avoid when buying a bike?

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I'm getting ready to buy my first dirtbike and from all of my research on the internet, the CR250 looks like the bike for me. I was just curious, are there any model years that I should avoid? Somebody was saying I should avoid 97 to 99 and another was saying 93 or earlier. Any reasons why? There is a TON of CR250's for sale around here in central Oklahoma. Being my first bike, I would rather get a used one. Thanks for any info! Matt

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
It really depends on how much you want to spend.

I feel that the 1996 CR250 is the best year of the steel frames which is also the last of the steel.

Like you heard, Stay away from the '97-'99.

'00-'01 even better.

'02 and up are best right now if you can afford them.

That is my 2 cents.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I don't know... I love my 99! With the proper setup, my bike is very competitve with the newer bikes. And it cost thousands less.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I had a 97 and knowing that the same problem ran til 99, the cornering stinks on these bikes for those years, 99 is way better, I ridded mind and got an 02 RM 250, big time difference. RM has tightend up lately as you may know by reading the mags. I attest. I loved it.
Do not be afraid to check out other bike, heck they are all imports, and all work well with some variances of course, but overall very good. A lot has changed over time with design.

Fly-n-High

Jul 15, 2004
CR Monsters

01 are the bast of the old-new design before the major engine changes. I ride a 04 with some mods to strenghen the lower side, but the rest of the bike (suspension and feel) is top quality......

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Do NOT get a '97 CR no matter how good the price. Worse bike Honda ever produced and I have the scars to prove it.

The best pre-aluminum CR is the '96 and you will pay more for one of those than for a '97-99 in most cases. Still competitive if they've been maintained.

If you favor aluminum, the 2000 and 2001 are considered the best. The 2002-04 have some jetting and powerband problems, courtesy of the new motor and some questionable new ideas.

One thing to consider is that some dealers still have brand new 2004 CR250s sitting on the showroom floor and they'd kiss you on the lips to sell one at any price.

BUT ABSOLUTELY DO NOT, REPEAT NOT, BUY A '97! (There will be a quiz later to see if you were paying attention . . . )

Okiepikapp

Oct 12, 2004
Whats wrong with the 97's?

:ohmy: Hey guys and gals, this is my first post over here and I'm pretty confused what is wrong with the 97 cr250s. I was/am in the process of trading my jetski for one. Please let me know what is so bad about them. I have heard about the alum frames being crappy, but besides that I have no idea. This is going to be my first bike, so I don't want something that is junk. The guy that is selling it is asking 1200 and the top end is "blown" and it will not run. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated and I hope to find one soon. Thanks.

Scott

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
If the top end is blown and it isn't running, it sounds like junk to me.

My advice would be to not acquire that one, especially since it is a 97.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
That style of an aluminum frame is almost too stiff and rigid which affects the handling...It's fast though.

02' to 04' CR250's are actually more powerful than the 00' and 01's contrary to what another post would have you believe...It's just that the power is situated higher in the rpm range...If you like high reving screaming top end you'll like a late model CR 250...If you like lazy low end you won't.

If it doesn't run look elsewhere...That goes for any bike..Get one that runs.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
DO NOT buy that '97 with a blown top end. That's junk on top of junk, even at $1200. There's not a '97 CR250 out there that's worth $1200, even if everything works.

I bought my '97 new and I've been racing mx for decades, many of them CRs. The '97 was the single most evil handling, unpredictable, nasty, harsh, screwed-up mess of a bike that I'd ever encountered.

After dropping about $1500 into modifications on the thing to try and fix the problems, I still had a bike that wouldn't consistently hold a line (go where you want it to go) and that you couldn't trust to do what you wanted it to do. I sold it at a loss and considered myself lucky to find someone dumb enough to buy it.

A '97 CR250 is NOT what you want for a first dirt bike. Run screaming in the opposite direction from this deal. Find yourself a clean '96 or a 2000 on up CR250. Any of the CRs from 91-96 are excellent. It's only the '97 and '98 (and to some extent the '99) that are awful.

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
markthomps said:
Find yourself a clean '96 or a 2000 on up CR250. Any of the CRs from 91-96 are excellent. It's only the '97 and '98 (and to some extent the '99) that are awful.

Aside from the obvious aluminum frame differences, how do the '91-'96 CR250's compare to the '00-Present? What are the weight, handling, and engine differences?

-Cheers

Okiepikapp

Oct 12, 2004
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll avoid it, its a 7 hour drive to where it is anyway. I'll look for an older cr, since I'm in college and just have my jetski to sale/trade for one. By the way I'm from norman, anyone in the OKC area let me know if you know of a good deal on one. Thanks again.

Scott

Top Bottom