Do I need a brake rebuild? Problem inside

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I went to go replace my front pads lastnight and everything went great until I had to put the wheel on. Those new pads were awful tight, so I took apart the brake and squeezed down the pistons in order to have maximum clearance for the new pads. After opening the resevior on the bars, I pushed the pistons in almost all of the way. I knew oil would come out of the resevior so I was ready for that. After pushing the pistons back, and putting the wheel back on I had this problem. The bike would brake fine, but for some reason the pistons would not retract back enough to let the wheel free-spin. I bleed the brakes and made sure there was no air in the system. Now I might have screwed up, but I have bled brakes on a car nurmerous times and its pretty much the same system. My Clymer manual says that I might need new seals on the pistons???

Has anyone had this problem? Could it just be that I didn't bleed it correctly, or should I just go get a rebuild kit for the front brake and be done with it. Its a dual piston setup, like 99% of the 125/250's out there. Any help would be appreciated because this one has me stumped...

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You may have gotten dirt in between the piston and the piston wall in the caliper and it is preventing to piston from retracting at all.

Try this:
- Remove the rotor and pads and activate the brakes so the piston is exposed.
- Thoroughly clean the piston and caliper with brake cleaner.
- Push the piston back into the caliper and reassemble the pads and rotor.
- Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir so as not to suck air or overflow it.

Good luck

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Thanks for the reply, so basically just lube up the piston with some brake cleaner and see if that gets it unstuck..

I'll give that a try.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You’re not “lubing” the piston. You’re just trying to dislodge and debris that might be in there.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
In the manual it shows how to actually take the piston's out. Should I do that just to be safe? And give it a good once over?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That wouldn’t be a bad idea if you feel comfortable doing it. When you have it apart look for damage to the seals, piston and bore.

Top Bottom