trailhouse

Feb 8, 2003
MaFols,
I am sure that you will have a great time. Since at least some of the "Yankees" are staying at Twin Hollow Campground, you will have no trouble getting together.

I look forward to April and meeting you all!

If you need anything, let me know.

Last edited:
L

LukeRips

That might be a cool trip. I've ridden down there a few times both on four wheels and two. It's alot more fun on two. The orange trails are some serious mountain goat trails. If I don't have a race that weekend, I'd like to come down and try out the helmetcam for a couple days. I have an enclosed trailer if anyone needs to share a ride.

Luke

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
For the people with MX bikes, whats required on the bike?
ie: spark arestor and/or permits
620 miles, 11 hours, permit granted from wife, (RMGuy).
Now time off from work is anouther story :coocoo:

Last edited:

trailhouse

Feb 8, 2003
WaltCMoto,
Motorcycles and ATVs must have a properly functioning muffler and USFS approved spark arrestor.
Also, all trail users must have a valid Hatfield-McCoy Permit. Everyone must wear a DOT, SNELL or other approved helmet and protective eyegear. The trail authority is not that strict. But they will not tolerate no usage of helmet, alcohol on trails, or no trail permit.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Arrrgh, you guys are killing me!! I'm starting to think of ways to get that kitchen pass but my bike needs some serious maintenance before I can ride...plus a spark arrester. This sounds like a fun trip...

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Treejumper said:
I think probably half the group needs spark arresters!

Not me I already have one on each bike :nener:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
scooter1130 said:
Not me I already have one on each bike :nener:

But the big question is, Are you Going?? This is alittle closer than Oklahoma. ;)

I had to laugh, i was talking with my buddies that went 2 years ago and they said you cant ride a bike out there. Half those trails are rough and have alot of rocks. I reminded the one about Paragon and he said nevermind. They didnt like the big dropoff cliffs and said they couldnt imagine trying to keep a bike upright on them. They also said half the trails bikes are not allowed on. Is that true?

trailhouse

Feb 8, 2003
I don't ride a dirt bike, but I can make a good judgment from the riders that I have had since October 2002.

When we first opened up, we had very few dirt bike riders. But after the first year, the number of dirt bike riders has steadily increased. I have had over 2,000 guests. Probably a fourth of all my riders are dirt bikers. I have only had two guys that didn't like the trails. They were from Michigan. They came in the Spring of 2003. They came with a larger group of dirt bikers. But two riders from the group did not like them. The rest of my guests have loved them. We have several large groups of dirt bike riders that come every year. The oldest rider that we have had--70 years old--is a dirt bike. He rode everywhere that everyone else in the group did. His group ranged in age from late twenties to 70 years old. A lot of our dirt bike riders come from New Jersey, Ohio, and Maryland. I have NEVER heard a complaint from any dirt bike rider except for those two from Michigan in 2003.

You are allowed to ride dirt bikes on any of the trails. There is one trail that is rockier than the other four. Maybe that is the trail that your friends rode. But many of my guests have ridden that part of the trail also and haven't complained.

Now, I won't lie and say that we don't have a rugged terrain. The trails are in the Appalachian Mtns. But dirt bike riders LOVE them. I do not think you will have any trouble.

Prepare to have the time of your life!!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Hello guys & gals,

Can't speak for all of the Southern Spodes but I think a few of us are interested.

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Hatfield McCoy is a blast, and you can find every type of riding you want. The best thing is it's really well maintained and marked clearly for every level of rider. You can look at the maps on the web site and get an idea of what each trail is like.

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
I try to go up every spring and fall for 3 days of riding. We usually have between 15 and 20 dirtbikers and have every level of rider. I can't imagine anyone not liking this place because it offers something for everyone. There are some super nasty rocky hills, but also there is plenty of fire road type stuff. The cool thing is it's your choice because they are marked well enough to know what you're in for.

Jim

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Dirtbikes are allowed everywhere. The only thing is that in the town of Man, they only allow ATVs on the streets unless your bike is dual-purpose and licensed. Gilbert, however, is cool with MX bikes on the streets and main road through town. That is the only 'dirtbike discrimination' we encountered. It was not a big deal, because we were using a closed trail to secure our bikes at night, so trailering to the trail head was no problem for us, and we probably would have done that regardless (we stayed in Man). You will find hills that are very challenging. They are steep, winding, rocky, and rutty...sometimes with steps that can break momentum. Chances are that unless everyone in the group is an expert, you will find hills, even on the Blue trails where everyone does not make it up on the first try. You may find some hills where you need to help each other make it. Try to ask a local about the routes and plan your riding so that in general, you are descending the black trails instead of trying to go up them. Especially true for the expert single tracks. I'm not an expert rider and there were several hills I struggled with... but I love a challenge, so I thought the place was awesome. If you are a leisure cruiser type of trail rider or a beginner, stick to the green trails.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
trailhouse,
Do you have a web site or phone # we could have. How far are you from the campgrounds prevesly mentioned?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'm all over this!
My nephew, Dave, and I had been thinking of planning a trip to H/M this year anyway. No reason not to meet up with fellow DRNers while we're at it! :) :yeehaw:

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Kieth does that mean you will be out for the spring ride at Paragon or can you handle being with us twice in the spring?

Either way, I'll see ya in West Virginia

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I haven't posted it yet but the Spring Paragon ride will probably be the weekend of 6/11-12. It fits better with all of the race schedules. Plus you guys can heal up after this ride :)

Top Bottom