Denver1911

Apr 1, 2002
I am currently getting rid of my DRZ400s because I'm starting to ride more off-road, and less street. I no longer think the added weight is a good trade-off for the license plate. Additionally, it's a little tall for me.

I bought the bike to cruise around on easy trails with my son ( 11 yrs, TTR125L ). I am now riding tougher trails, and find the DRZ400S a handful for my size/strength.

I am considering getting a DRZ250. My bike "requirements" are:

1. Electric Start ( I've got a bad knee that cuts down my ability to crank ).
2. Lighter than my 300# DRZ400s. You don't notice the weight when you're riding, but when you're on the side of a hill trying to get going again, it can be a bear.
3. Prefer four-stroke.

Now, I've looked at the XR250. No button, but other than that, okay.
KLX300, no button.
KTM400EXC. Wow. However, out of my price-range ( and more bike than I need to play around on ).
WR250F. No button, too tall, and too much bike for me.
TTR250. Comparable to the DRZ250, but no kick-start.

Anyway, any reccomendations?

Does the DRZ250 sound right for me?

Thanks,
denver

mhopton

Mar 18, 2002
Denver,

I can speak for the TTR 250 only. It is a really GOOD trail bike. It starts easy, very easy in fact with the ebutton, has decent suspension (cartridge forks), even better with some valve work, and has pretty good bottom and mid for medium duty trail/woods riding. I really like mine, was going to sell it, but have since decided to keep it as a great second bike while I primarily ride a, hopefully soon, bigger bore bike such as a drz400e. If you are a solid intermediate/advanced rider and you buy it for its intended purpose, you won't be unsatisfied. Especially if you open the airbox, move the clip down a notch and pull the muffler insert out - it definately opens the bike up some. I really, really enjoy mine, it's very comfortable, like a well worn sofa. Just don't buy it expecting to keep up with friends riding wr's, or any type of mx bike.

Good luck! Mike

PS, DirtBike magazine did a comparo of the drz250 and the ttr250 back last summer and they rated them pretty equally. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom