Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A couple of shots I grabbed with my infrared converted D40x while I was out riding my mountain bike. This camera is really fun to play with. :cool:

DSC_0573_ir_drn.jpg

DSC_0567_ir_drn.jpg

The composition on this one is pretty lame, but the effect is very cool.

DSC_0569_IR_drn.jpg

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Where on earth does Rich mountain bike at? It sure does not look like Illinois! I really like the first pic. The infrared gives me a cold feel? But, the first one crosses that.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Nice shots Rich :cool:
Your first picture made me want to put a sweatshirt on.Felt like a cool fall day to me.
How many cans of white spray paint did it take to paint the trees and grass like that? What some people do to get a good shot is beyond me! :nener:

Check your PMs when you get a chance.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks Roy.

I'll check the PM later today.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Have you ever messed with a screw on type Infrared filter? Wonder how one of those would work, instead of modifying the camera sensor..

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Gary - I've tried it in the past and how well it works depends on how much infrared light normally leaks through. All digital cameras have an infrared cut filter over the sensor but they still leak some infrared. It was fun to goof around with using the screw on setup but a proper converted camera just blows it away. I rarely went through the trouble the old way, but with the converted camera I take it along all the time. The good companies can even convert pocket cameras, so you can get it much cheaper if you want.

Tom Hogan wrote a great article on shooting IR with a screw on filter. He goes into the issues and advantages. It's worth a read. http://www.bythom.com/infrared.htm

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Really cool. The first one is my favorite. So do the basic principles of exposure work the same with the infrared? Or do you have to adjust how you shoot to achieve that kind of look?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Kawi - With the converted camera the metering still works pretty much normally, but as you experiment you find a basic +EV sweet spot. You have to adjust your brain a bit to "see" the infrared radiation, and recognize the bright areas. But with digital that's a snap.

After experimenting I normally shoot my stuff at +0.8 - +1.3 EV with this camera. The good part is, the best time to shoot IR is normally the worst time to shoot normal stuff. When the sun is high and bright, and everything normally looks flat, IR is killer. With all that light shooting stopped down (the above were at F8) at +1.3 EV is no problem. That's why I converted this little D40X. I bought it originally because it was tiny and would be a good choice to take with me when I'm riding my bicycle, but the light always sucked for normal stuff when I was out riding and I rarely shot anything. The IR conversion fixed all that. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
IndyMX said:
If I do that, I may convert my 20D

You won't regret it. :cool:

I used these guys to do the conversion : http://www.lifepixel.com/, and got it set converted for "Deep Black and White IR".

Top Bottom