CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Only 4 days left to sign up....and only 145 attendees? We had almost this much for MWSF 2000. Last year was well over 300 wasn't it? I realize alot of people wait until the last minute, but not two-thirds of the people.

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You tell me!
Gas prices? Event cost? Location?

I'm sure it's opening a can of worms; a lot of differing opinions, but...

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
My situation is the gas prices and the fact that my co-pilot isnt going. So basically i cant afford the gas myself and dont feel like driving solo for 1200 miles. Sure going to miss it. :(

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Gas prices are high but, that's why I'm not going. Saving for son's wedding. I plan on attending next year. I started putting change in the jar last week. I only hope a small turn out doesn't affect next year. It is along way to drive but, it's always going to be a long drive for someone. :(

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Question is tho, is the long drive worth it?

Tell ya what, if the insuranse comapnies would stop HOSING us, the day will come when the sponsors can foot the whole bill... something I've been waiting for since MWSF2000....

(FYI: the insurance alone has gone up 5 FOLD since then). It's like it doubles every year. Gotta love lawyers.

But... no matter what, DW is going to be a blast, we'll miss those that can't make it. Maybe we'll see ya next year.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Can I go twice? It's really all I've got going on for the whole year.

Hey, maybe I could talk George and Bob Patricko into going, they don't ride anymore but they sure are good for a laugh. Oh wait, there will be children...never mind.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
There are a bunch of regulars missing for various reasons.

At the same time there are a bunch of new names on the roster.

Everybody just needs to beat the drum among their niche.

It is frustrating though.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I'm an every other year attendee. :)

Wish I could make it every year, but it is the same weekend as my clubs hare scramble. 1000+ riders vs a 50 person club means every member has lots of responsibilities.

See all ya'all in '05

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Unfortunately, gas prices and event cost is not my issue. It is feast or famine in my trade and right now the table is full. I don't know of any way to change the insurance issue even though I have a "wish" list.;) Last year I drove around 22 hours over 9 days and I live 50 miles away, amazingly, it is cheaper and easier for me to go to LTM than Cooperland for DW. This is in no way a complaint just reality. I will attempt to make it over more but the work load is very heavy with several tight deadlines.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Chucke,

If you'd like you can ride with me to DW. All you'll have to do is drive the 320 miles from your place to mine (5 hours). I'll pick up the fuel cost as i MIGHT be able to work it out again where my company pays the milage to and from Tulsa as we have a plant there and i will just have to schedule a visit to check up on some equipment. I am still figuring out my arrangements with possibly missing a day of class (beginning Masters program). Let me know.

JimK

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Jim,

Thanks but this year is out for me as i opened up the vacation slot at work a month ago and its filled now. I really enjoy going but every year there seems to be some major problem on the "road trip" part of DW. I usually windup laughing at it because my whole life has been one problem after another but the others didnt seem to enjoy it as much. :) We'll see what next year brings but til then the small semi local rides are where i'll be.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
The cost of getting to DW is really not the problem. Its the best week of vacation I've spent, and worth every penny! I'm going to really miss DW this year. I can't attend because of yet ANOTHER audit at work falling on the same week. Its more political than anything but DW is out for me this year.

:(

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
here's how I am seeing now,
folks, WE ALL HAVE MADE NEW FRIENDS HERE. simple. and we hope to see them at DW. but naturaly, we all have different lives, and things going on in them. for us, I know the boys will miss not seeing Nat, and Eddie ribbing at velcroboy. good memories. But we have lots of new folks coming this year, so it's up to us "ole timers" to show the newbies, just how much fun DW is.
kindof tough to put in words, but you get my drift........................

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Senior KX Rider said:
I couldn't make the 02 DirtWeek and words cannot describe the PAIN and SUFFERING you will endure when all the ride reports and pictures start flooding this place in October. I never want to have to go thru that again. :( Wait and see

Having never missed a DW i have not had to endure such pain but can imagine how dabilitating it might be.

I do agree w/ gnarlykaw - we need to make any/all DW first-timers feel like they are part of the gang and not shut them out just because they are not part of "the gang" ... yet. :ride:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Through this web site, I watched for years all of the fun others were having, while I was at work having fun-envy. In 2003 I decided no more shall I suffer with fun-envy, and I joined the party.

If you've been to DW, you know of what I speak...if you haven't, you have NO idea what you are missing.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Don't get me wrong...I wasn't implying DW wouldn't be a blast, or would be any less of a blast. I just thought it was strange that every year there has been a minimum increase in attendance of 25%. But now there is a 50% decrease. I was there for MWSF'00 when there were 115 of us. And to see 325 at Cooperland last year was Awesome! For someone who has been to every event, it just seems strange. Because, like every one has said...once you go to one, you finally understand what all the hype is about, and you starting planning for next year's event as soon as this year's is over.

Heck...the way I look at it is with all the sponsorship and schedule this year...the ones attending get more stuff at the giveaways, more rides on the KTMs, and more quality time with legends of the sport! For those of you not going...after DW, I'll post a picture of me with THE Malcom Smith! :nener:

I just hope the low attendance is at least covering the cost of making DW happen. I'm sure that ain't no fun for Bob and family.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I started planning for DW '04 before '03 was even over. Unfortunately a huge job for us in '04 has put me on the bench, it'll be the first time I've had to miss a DW. WORK SUCKS :(

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I finally got my Mrs. and my nephew and neice to give DW a try! :)
Am I sad that some of my friends won't be making the pilgrimage this year? Yes, of course I am. I only get one chance a year to meet most of these folks face to face.

But, I'm excited that I'm heading out west yet again; This year to meet more friends I've never met before.
It dawned on me this morning that it's only three weeks away! :yeehaw: I've got the plane tickets booked! C'mon Dirtweek!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Having been to only one DW I now KNOW that I will not miss another...the friends I made, the things I learned, there is nothing better in this world...

I think that it's unfortunate that many of the regulars cannot make it, and I will miss them dearly, but I am looking forward to making new friends as that is my absolute favorite part of Dirtweek! No amount of riding, food, or prizes could make up for the friends you make when you make the trek out to Oklahoma and THAT is why I will not miss another DW.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I am sad too PK, but the excitement for going again is drowning out the tears of sorrow! I can understand that some can't make it every year, but there are some that haven't made it but are coming this year and I'm happy about meeting them just as well. Now, how many days are left??

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
As soon as DW05 dates are set (as with prior years DW's) my vacation request get the bosses John Hancock!

Top Bottom